mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6722|Sydney, Australia

Freezer7Pro wrote:

And to further strengthen that point, it's not only quite slow, but it's also Power PC-based, so I can't run any games compiled for x86 on it, no matter what I do.
Since Snow Leopard doesn't support Power PC architecture, you are basing your opinion off OS X 10.5 Leopard?
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6198|Winland

mcminty wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

And to further strengthen that point, it's not only quite slow, but it's also Power PC-based, so I can't run any games compiled for x86 on it, no matter what I do.
Since Snow Leopard doesn't support Power PC architecture, you are basing your opinion off OS X 10.5 Leopard?
Indeed I am. While I'm not too read up on the differences between the two, I doubt Apple have changed a whole lot in the UI.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
And now, Uzique is rounding up all the differences between the two in his head.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2010-08-08 17:46:22)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6739|Toronto | Canada

mcminty wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

As in the previous generation of OS... so like comparing something to Vista?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
System 7 was pretty good, it got a bit gay after that TBH.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5789|Catherine Black
I thought 10.6 was basically a service pack?
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6722|Sydney, Australia

Finray wrote:

.. what made you think that?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5789|Catherine Black

mcminty wrote:

Finray wrote:

.. what made you think that?
https://i38.tinypic.com/nx1fmv.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Finray wrote:

Top left area, next to the Esc key?

That's where the CPU is I think. Played CS:S on my mates 15" i5 and that part got TOASTY.
GPU I think. Depends on which model.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Uzique wrote:

freezer do you seriously think we give a fuck that you're using a mac for a week?

holy shit bro your tech-forum ego is crazy... are you even for real doing this?

IN THIS NEXT THREAD (PLEASE STICKY ASAP) I, UZIQUE THE TECH-GREAT, SHALL USE AN IPHONE AND DOCUMENT WITH MY EXPERT OPINION AND JUDICIAL EVALUATION OF THIS GADGET. PLEASE READ THIS THREAD AND CHECK BACK FREQUENTLY FOR UPDATES ON WHETHER OR NOT YOU SHOULD DEFINITIVELY EVEN CONSIDER USING THIS TECHNOLOGY-- PLEASE DISREGARD EVERYONE ELSE, EVER. THANK YOU.
I think this thread is a great idea. Everything I've heard from Freezer so far has sounded very unbiased and a review of using old Mac hardware by a skeptic like Freezer is something I have no doubt some people will be interested in.

Why are you so upset about it anyway? I certainly wouldn't have thought you capable of the same level of technical analysis as Freezer and you are certainly not coming from the same skeptical position as him, which is what makes it interesting - provided he doesn't let too much bias slip in.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6198|Winland

Jumping between a static IP and DHCP on OS X is fucking AWESOME. It literally takes three seconds and three clicks. It's like a dream come true!
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5754|Roma

Freezer7Pro wrote:

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/ … acweek.jpg

For a week, starting today, I'll use this machine, with its native operating system, for all my every-day tasks (aside from gaming and other stuff that it obviously can't handle). I've never before used any computer running Apple OS X for more than an hour, so wish me luck.

I'll post all my revelations about the supposedly superior system here, for all of you to enjoy.

EDIT: Oh, and the machine is an 1.8GHz rev. A (no camera, no ALS) Imac G5, with 2GB of RAM, 160GB HDD, and a turbo-charged FX5200 handling the graphics.

The first thing that struck me was that every keyboard shortcut is different from what I'm used to, and that there isn't a very simple way of changing those very basic commands, like copy-paste. If any of you Mac-heads out there know how, I'd be very grateful.
why does your left monitor have a white tape with president written over?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6198|Winland

aerodynamic wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

For a week, starting today, I'll use this machine, with its native operating system, for all my every-day tasks (aside from gaming and other stuff that it obviously can't handle). I've never before used any computer running Apple OS X for more than an hour, so wish me luck.

I'll post all my revelations about the supposedly superior system here, for all of you to enjoy.

EDIT: Oh, and the machine is an 1.8GHz rev. A (no camera, no ALS) Imac G5, with 2GB of RAM, 160GB HDD, and a turbo-charged FX5200 handling the graphics.

The first thing that struck me was that every keyboard shortcut is different from what I'm used to, and that there isn't a very simple way of changing those very basic commands, like copy-paste. If any of you Mac-heads out there know how, I'd be very grateful.
I have no idea. It was there when I got it. It makes them easier to distinguish, so I let it sit there.

EDIT: Due to social difficulties, I'm forced to break the Mac week for a couple of days, while I spend some time among friends. I'll pick up where I dropped off when I get back home.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2010-08-10 18:13:59)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya

Freezer7Pro wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

I have no idea. It was there when I got it. It makes them easier to distinguish, so I let it sit there.

EDIT: Due to social difficulties, I'm forced to break the Mac week for a couple of days, while I spend some time among friends. I'll pick up where I dropped off when I get back home.
You sound disappointed that you actually have to interact with humans
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6198|Winland

My time with a Mac is now officially over, for the time being. I sold it off for 250€ the other day.

I'm still stunned that anybody is willing to pay that much for such an ancient machine.

To conclude, I can't say much but that Mac OS X has its strengths and weaknesses, just like all other operating systems. It's evident that it's meant for new computer users, as it doesn't like it when you try to change stuff that Apple didn't feel like integrating into the GUI, and the software library doesn't span very far past your average 'officey' stuff, at least not for PPC. There's still enough out there to satisfy most people's needs, I'd reckon.

If I had the choice, I'd still pick Windows over OS X, but that's just because I've used Windows in all its different shapes for the last decade.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard