rdx-fx
+955|6592

pace51 wrote:

Please do. And what sh1fty said. It's not  like we go out of our way to agree with eachother and piss everyone off.
Though that might be an amusing meta-troll if you two did.

There are a number of people who would be pushed into ragequitting life, slashing wrists on Do Not Enter signs, eating razorblades, drinking shots of bleach, or sodomizing polar bears.

Might be fun to watch.
Commie Killer
+192|6388
The SM-3 Missile was designed almost solely to intercept incoming theater ballistic missiles, in other words, this missile. I think a Tico cruiser can carry up to 96 of them, though that may have been the older versions which have been phased out, 128 sticks out in my head for the newer ones.

If the US and China went to war tomorrow, we'd take losses, especially in our naval and air bases in the western pacific, there is no way to knock down all the missiles, but we're still pretty damn good at staying ahead of the curve.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

We're essentially talking about an ICBM with a MIRV here. Nothing cosmic (no pun intended). We have existing ABM systems on AEGIS--already pointed out--that are designed to deal with this threat. They may have to be tweaked to deal with something that maneuvers this much (which, at Mach 10, isn't that much), but it's still not that big of a difference.

The big change is that China figured out a way to accurately target a moving object with the warhead, whereas all other ICBM warheads target a non-moving spot on the earth...generally with rough accuracy (you don't need to be THAT accurate with a nuke). It doesn't dramatically change the warhead intercept problem we've already been working on and in large part solved.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

FEOS wrote:

We're essentially talking about an ICBM with a MIRV here. Nothing cosmic (no pun intended). We have existing ABM systems on AEGIS--already pointed out--that are designed to deal with this threat. They may have to be tweaked to deal with something that maneuvers this much (which, at Mach 10, isn't that much), but it's still not that big of a difference.

The big change is that China figured out a way to accurately target a moving object with the warhead, whereas all other ICBM warheads target a non-moving spot on the earth...generally with rough accuracy (you don't need to be THAT accurate with a nuke). It doesn't dramatically change the warhead intercept problem we've already been working on and in large part solved.
I would think it would make it easier rather than harder depending on its accuracy. If it's an accurate weapon you know precisely where it will land
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

JohnG@lt wrote:

FEOS wrote:

I would think it would make it easier rather than harder depending on its accuracy. If it's an accurate weapon you know precisely where it will land
True point. If it's a "carrier killer"...we KNOW where OUR carriers are. Should make targeting their inbound "carrier killer" warheads a bit simpler, eh?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6566|Area 51
How is it actually possible for a missle to maintain Mach 10 in the lower atmospshere, wouldn't the friction created simply tear the missle apart? Thought such high speeds were only possible in the upper atmosphere?
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717
we have a carrier killer killer...
Love is the answer
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England

Catbox wrote:

It's called the Air Force. Take the batteries out. Then let the ships move in

the planes on the carriers could do it probably

China needs to do what the US does (loads of super carriers and such, massive carrier battle groups) to really be on par. They don't even have a single aircraft carrier. Let alone super carriers like the US does.
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

RDMC wrote:

How is it actually possible for a missle to maintain Mach 10 in the lower atmospshere, wouldn't the friction created simply tear the missle apart? Thought such high speeds were only possible in the upper atmosphere?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheri … phere-cone

It's all about shape. And ablating surface material.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

Mekstizzle wrote:

Catbox wrote:

the planes on the carriers could do it probably.
Yes of course, land batteries are so much easier to take out than carriers....
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

FEOS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

FEOS wrote:

True point. If it's a "carrier killer"...we KNOW where OUR carriers are. Should make targeting their inbound "carrier killer" warheads a bit simpler, eh?
The most difficult thing about hitting a moving object is decyphering the aiming point. If you know where something is going to land, you can calculate the trajectory fairly easily.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Mekstizzle
WALKER

Dilbert_X wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Catbox wrote:

Carriers probably wouldn't bother to be within range until the land based 'Carrier-killers' are taken out. I dunno, the US has never really fought anyone with a half decent air force/air defence or anything since WW2. But usually they do those SEAD missions before they do anything else proper. Not that it would be easy to do such a thing to mainland China, but they'd probably have to give it a shot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAD
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Mekstizzle wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Carriers probably wouldn't bother to be within range until the land based 'Carrier-killers' are taken out. I dunno, the US has never really fought anyone with a half decent air force/air defence or anything since WW2. But usually they do those SEAD missions before they do anything else proper. Not that it would be easy to do such a thing to mainland China, but they'd probably have to give it a shot

Gulf War 1 Migs were pretty deadly afaik.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Cybargs wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

The fact only 1 aircraft was shot down by Iraqi aircraft (Mig-25 shot down F-18) in the 1st Gulf War doesn't really support that assertion.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5475|Ventura, California

Mekstizzle wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

How would an F22 do vs Chinese radar? Or a B2 or an F117 for that matter?
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
13rin
+977|6480
Well ever since we've had the AMG-84 and RB 12 it's safe to assume they can do likewise.  Let's not forget the fucking 'Thunder in Paradise' assholes from Iran.... .

*edit:

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2010-08-13 21:45:22)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5475|Ventura, California
I just spoke with a guy who works for the U.S. Navy, he's the guy who works on AEGIS (spelling?) systems. He says the carrier killer is just another missile they can shoot down.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Bertster7 wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

The fact only 1 aircraft was shot down by Iraqi aircraft (Mig-25 shot down F-18) in the 1st Gulf War doesn't really support that assertion.
Logistics.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Cybargs wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Logistics.
What?
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6355
they can't make dog food without killing dogs that eat it, or a toy boat that floats ( ask my duaghter ). I won't lose any sleep over this one.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

they can't make dog food without killing dogs that eat it, or a toy boat that floats ( ask my duaghter ). I won't lose any sleep over this one.
They can't construct apartments for shit either.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Cybargs wrote:

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

https://images.theage.com.au/2009/06/29/609853/3006wo_shanghai-420x0.jpg

These look pretty well built, they stayed pretty much intact
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I just spoke with a guy who works for the U.S. Navy, he's the guy who works on AEGIS (spelling?) systems. He says the carrier killer is just another missile they can shoot down.
If  they can't tell the difference between an airbus and an F14 they won't be much of a problem.

Its pretty hard to shoot down a ballistic missile BTW.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-08-16 21:47:07)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Mekstizzle
WALKER

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

http://images.theage.com.au/2009/06/29/ … -420x0.jpg

Everytime someone posts a building falling over, I have to post this video. Especially if they talk about buildings staying intact. Just watch this:

RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6566|Area 51

Mekstizzle wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

http://images.theage.com.au/2009/06/29/ … -420x0.jpg

Everytime someone posts a building falling over, I have to post this video. Especially if they talk about buildings staying intact. Just watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Twiq3Cy2A
that is pretty awesome actually.

Last edited by RDMC (2010-08-17 06:54:45)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard