+341|5142|Stoke, England
calling it arkham asylum 2 would be stupid
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

SamTheMan wrote:

calling it arkham asylum 2 would be stupid
Uhhh...
2Then bloody well call it Batman: Gotham City
That's the next best thing that would make sense. Where the f*ck is Arkham City in the Batman universe?
SamTheMan
­
+341|5142|Stoke, England
"Arkham City, the new maximum security 'home' for all of Gotham City's thugs, gangsters and insane criminal masterminds."

calling it arkham city makes sense
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Lame.

edit: To clarify, people should choose their game names carefully, so they'll look decent in a sequel title, official or unofficial. Now, like it or not, they're by all common sense stuck with Batman: Arkham Asylum.

A style like Batman: Arkham Asylum 2: Arkham City worked for Lucasarts throughout their Jedi Knight series. Recall Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. It was clumsy, but the focus was placed on Jedi Knight, which is what it was called in casual conversation. They were able to shift Dark Forces aside in favor of a new series name, but still include it. From there, they released Star Wars: Jedi Knight II and the mind easily filled in the blanks with Dark Forces III.

It could be displayed like this:

BATMAN
Arkham City
Arkham Asylum 2 (jedi knight method...)

or rearranged:

BATMAN
Arkham Asylum 2*
ARKHAM CITY
*(you could even drop the '2' here from display and it would still make sense...until Arkham Asylum 3, unless they called it Arkham Nation)

jord wrote:

Also I feel my title about ham didn't get enough attention, so if you could all go back a page and reread, it'd be appreciated.
A karma for your dry humor, sir
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Lame.
They called Rocky 6 Rocky Balboa, that's lame.

Also I feel my title about ham didn't get enough attention, so if you could all go back a page and reread, it'd be appreciated.
SamTheMan
­
+341|5142|Stoke, England
well you just cant call it arkham asylum 2 because its not set in arkham asylum.

you dont play gta vice city 2 set in san andreas do you
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6286|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

jord wrote:

Ark ham- Slow roasted and glazed
I tried but couldn't think of a ham joke...

jord wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Lame.
They called Rocky 6 Rocky Balboa, that's lame.

Happy?
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

SamTheMan wrote:

well you just cant call it arkham asylum 2 because its not set in arkham asylum.

you dont play gta vice city 2 set in san andreas do you
Irrelevant. GTA switches from character to character in loosely associated eras. Unless I'm missing my mark entirely, Arkham Asylum 2 stars Batman, in a sequel chronologically associated with Arkham Asylum 1, much in the same way that the Dark Forces series followed Kyle Katarn around. Even Jedi Academy still had him in a supporting role, if not avatar role.

edit: Besides which, GTA is still always GTA, just like the first title, no matter what else they decide to call it.

Batman: Arkham Asylum 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum: Arkham City or Batman: Arkham City - Arkham Asylum 2 are still the best choices. Just changing the title is f*cking frustrating.
SamTheMan
­
+341|5142|Stoke, England
your frustrating
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire

unnamednewbie wrote:

the Dark Forces series followed Kyle Katarn around. Even Jedi Academy still had him in a supporting role, if not avatar role.
well you have
dark forces
jedi knight dark forces 2
jedi knight 2  jedi outast
all had  katarn as the main character
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6344

RTHKI wrote:

unnamednewbie wrote:

the Dark Forces series followed Kyle Katarn around. Even Jedi Academy still had him in a supporting role, if not avatar role.
well you have
dark forces
Only in America. In Germany only the fist carried the name Dark Forces, all others came under the Jedi Knight title.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

SamTheMan wrote:

your frustrating
Maybe, but randomly changing the title of sequels is also frustrating.

Sisco wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

unnamednewbie wrote:

well you have
dark forces
Only in America. In Germany only the fist carried the name Dark Forces, all others came under the Jedi Knight title.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2f/JediKnight-cover.jpg/252px-JediKnight-cover.jpg
Box art. Note the prominence of Jedi Knight while Dark Forces is still represented. Without looking it up (and without having played these games from the very first one), I'd know right away where to file this. Otherwise, it'd be something like Dark Forces, Force Commander and then Jedi Knight in that order. Colloquially, everyone called it Jedi Knight or JK, but at least we all know where in the series it goes.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
So, how about Predator, Predator 2 and Predators? Does that make any sense next to Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection? What will the next one be called, Predator: Revolutions?
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469
I still have no idea why UN is so angry at this, it's a damn name.

Arkham 2 isn't appropriate as it doesn't take place in Arkham Asylum, but the name still had to convey the fact that it is a sequel.

And giving the game 3 names is not a good idea.

At all.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6742|FUCK UBISOFT

Batman Begins 2: The Dark Knight
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
SamTheMan
­
+341|5142|Stoke, England
they should call it batman II: arkham aslyum: the sequel: arkham city 2
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6366|California
what the heck does star wars have to do with arkham asylum
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6324|Graz, Austria

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

So, how about Predator, Predator 2 and Predators? Does that make any sense next to Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection? What will the next one be called, Predator: Revolutions?
That's because Robert Rodriguez wrote the script as a sequel to the first one and chose the same type of title as the sequel to "Alien".
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

I still have no idea why UN is so angry at this, it's a damn name.

Arkham 2 isn't appropriate as it doesn't take place in Arkham Asylum, but the name still had to convey the fact that it is a sequel.

And giving the game 3 names is not a good idea.

At all.
I'm angry about it because it's done so often with so many movies and games, and is a pain in the ass to keep track of with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves full of this crap. I severely dislike the trend of improper sequel titling. At least Star Wars, though Episode 4 was the first out, had the sense to use good numbering.

You do make valid points. A long name is clumsy, but as I stated above it doesn't have to be emphasized; just there. Batman: Arkham City does little to convey the fact that it is a sequel, other than a 'city' being larger than an 'asylum,' if you want to make that questionable leap in logic. As there's nothing other than our personal knowledge that it is in fact a sequel, it could be taken years down the road to be a prequel.

SamTheMan wrote:

they should call it batman II: arkham aslyum: the sequel: arkham city 2
Oh, now you're just being sarcastic.

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

what the heck does star wars have to do with arkham asylum
Title discussion. It's an example of what worked. Look at the cover. It's Star Wars: Jedi Knight for all intents and purposes. If you went into a game shop and asked for it, you'd call it out by that name, not Dark Forces II. But the fact is that they still managed to slip in the sequel's title and number without making it clumsy to say.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6538|Long Island, New York
On the name discussion, I'd have liked Batman: Gotham City the best. Is it open world or no?
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469

Poseidon wrote:

On the name discussion, I'd have liked Batman: Gotham City the best. Is it open world or no?
No, "Arkham City" is a new location for both the game and for the Batman Universe.

Also "Gotham City" is what's believed to be the name of the third Chris Nolan film so it would be unwise to call it that even if it were open world.
SamTheMan
­
+341|5142|Stoke, England
gonna play asylum tomorow
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

SamTheMan wrote:

gonna play asylum tomorow
I think I'll reinstall and give it a second go. I was getting irritated at trying to tell the difference between scripted deaths and ones you can prevent. Guess I'll just have to soldier through.

What would be pretty sweet is two-to-four player coop: Batman, Robin, Nightwing and Batgirl. Way more opportunities for L4D-like dialog.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

First thing you see is 'Arkham Asylum.'

lol
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6565|Area 51

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9DNjvpPVOk
First thing you see is 'Arkham Asylum.'

lol
Just realized it said 'Fall 2011'.