Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6545|San Diego, CA, USA

Heritage Foundation wrote:

Top 10 Reasons Not to Trust Russia

The current regime in Russia has a terrible record as a reliable partner, yet President Obama wants the nuclear treaty he negotiated with the Kremlin fast-tracked for Senate approval. That makes no sense. Here are 10 reasons why.

1. A Long History of Arms Control Violations: Russia repeatedly violated the 1991 Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) all the way to its expiration in December 2009, as clearly stated in 2005 and 2010 State Department compliance reports. Specifically, Russia tested an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile with Multiple Individually Targeted Re-entry Vehicles (warheads) while START was in force. Such activities, however, were explicitly banned.

2. The West Is Still Their #1 Threat: Russia regards the U.S. and NATO as its principal adversaries and configures its forces for large-scale conventional theater operations with them. The recent discovery of the Russian spy network inside the U.S. and their celebration upon return to Russia, courtesy of President Obama, indicates that Russia is set in a Cold War mentality.

3. Helping Iran and North Korea: According to U.S. intelligence, Russia violated nonproliferation agreements by providing ballistic missile technology to Iran and North Korea, which have continually threatened America and its allies.

4. Still Building a Nuclear Arsenal: Nearly 20 years after the end of the Cold War, Russia still designs, builds, and modernizes nuclear weapons and their delivery systems. Russia’s new military doctrine maintains a low threshold for nuclear first strikes. In fact, Moscow plans to use tactical nuclear weapons in Europe if ever confronted with a conventional threat. In 2009, Russia conducted a military exercise that simulated a nuclear attack on Poland.

https://img261.imageshack.us/img261/1291/fs69graphic.jpg

5. Not in Compliance on Other Treaties: The U.S. believes Russia to be in non-compliance with the Chemical Weapons Convention and the Biological Weapons Convention. In 2009, the Strategic Posture Commission told Congress: “Russia is no longer in compliance with its PNI [Presidential Nuclear Initiatives] commitments.” Moscow’s tactical nuclear weapons arsenal may be 10 times larger than that of the U.S.

6. No Regard for Georgia Independence: Russia has repeatedly broken its promises to withdraw military forces from Georgia and Moldova. When Russia invaded Georgia in 2009, it rewrote the rules of post–World War II European security. It repudiated the Helsinki Pact of 1975, which recognized the security of European borders, and violated the sovereignty of a NATO aspirant and member of the Council of Europe.

7. Responds Offensively to Defensive Measures: In response to U.S. plans for a defensive missile shield in Europe to protect against Iranian missile threats, Moscow has repeatedly threatened to deploy Iskander short-range and nuclear-capable missiles to target U.S. allies in Eastern Europe. Reports show that the Baltic Fleet is armed with nuclear weapons that can be used against Europe.

8. Ties to Terrorist Organizations: Russia cultivates ties with terrorist organizations Hamas and Hezbollah and provides military and diplomatic support for anti-American “rogue states” such as Syria, Iran, and Venezuela. Russia voted with the U.S. at the U.N. Security Council to pass sanctions on Iran—but only after working hard to water them down to practically nothing.

9. Natural Gas as a Political Weapon: The Kremlin uses its neighbors and Europe’s dependence on Russian natural gas as a foreign policy tool to pressure states. In 2009, Russia cut off gas supplies to Ukraine and to Europe by extension, causing the International Energy Agency to deem them an unreliable supplier.

10. An Authoritarian Regime: The current model of leadership under President Dmitry Medvedev and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has become increasingly authoritarian. Despite numerous commitments under international law, the government has tightened controls on political life, civil society, and the media. Disruption of political opposition’s activities, restricting access to state-controlled TV, human right violations (such as the beating of demonstrators who “support” the Russian constitution), murder of journalists and anti-corruption activists, disappearance and torture, abuse of the legal system for monetary and political gain—all illustrate this negative trend.
Source: http://www.heritage.org/Research/Factsh … ust-Russia

---

Its unsettling that Obama is making a new treaty with Russia and going in with blinders.  I believe he's trusting Russia too much while reducing our nuclear stockpile that helped us with the Cold War, essentially putting us more at risk.

One lesson I think President Obama should have learned from Ronald Reagan was when working with the Russians "trust but verify."
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6497|so randum
how is reducing your nuclear stockpile from 'able to glass the world 1000000000 times over' to 'able to glass the world 1000 times over' putting you at risk?

ed- actually having read the OP you could replace Russia with 'America/Great Britain/China/India' for most of the points and it would read just fine.

Last edited by FatherTed (2010-08-01 20:49:46)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Can Palin still see Putin rear his ugly head into Alaskan airspace from her house?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Reciprocity
+721|6577|the dank(super) side of Oregon
and they used a cute bitch to spy on us.  that is, like, so not cool.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Harmor wrote:

The recent discovery of the Russian spy network inside the U.S. and their celebration upon return to Russia, courtesy of President Obama, indicates that Russia is set in a Cold War mentality.
I'd like to point out that Russia returned US spies. Pot kettle.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England
You mean a country actually dares to make itself such an unappealing target for invasion? How could they!? Responding with nuclear weapons to a conventional invasion? How awful of them. Being uber paranoid because their country has been invaded numerous times over the centuries with the last one costing about 20 million lives? Pshhhh.

As for them having ties to terrorists... they're gonna get weapons anyway, might as well make a buck off it. Immoral? I guess. Practical? Sure.

And Russia has never NOT had an authoritarian government. I fail to see why this is an issue now.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5470|Ventura, California

FatherTed wrote:

how is reducing your nuclear stockpile from 'able to glass the world 1000000000 times over' to 'able to glass the world 1000 times over' putting you at risk?
Because if a nuclear war started the majority of the nukes might be shot out of the sky or something. So maybe 1 in 3 nukes would hit or something.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

-Sh1fty- wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Because if a nuclear war started the majority of the nukes might be shot out of the sky or something. So maybe 1 in 3 nukes would hit or something.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England

-Sh1fty- wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

It figures your dumb ass is a Californian. The land of fruits and nuts confirmed once again.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I'm just quoting somebody on these forums. Bash them before me, then kill yourself.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6545|San Diego, CA, USA

-Sh1fty- wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Also we assume that there will only be one country sending nukes our way.  If countries like Iran can get nukes and a delivery system (they are starting a space program), then we could easily see a half-dozen countries in 30-40 years that could reach us.

As for the point about the Russian spies...those were the ones we know about.  Only the Russians know how many they really have.
Reciprocity

Harmor wrote:

Only the Russians know how many they really have.
you mean, just like we only know how many we really have?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

11. They talk funny.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX
These Neo-Con cut and paste OPs are getting steadily funnier.

Just replace 'Russia' with 'USA' and the article can be read exactly the same.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX
12. Palin can see Russia from her house.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Reciprocity
This sounds like something PNAC would have published.  Except back then(when republicans were in the white house and congress) the russians status as economic friends outweighed these same issues.  No, we were better off focusing on little brown people.

Last edited by Reciprocity (2010-08-01 21:36:02)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6465
13. They invade us in Call of Duties, so they must being ready to invade IRL.
Reciprocity
https://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/mechanix202/dr_strangelove.jpg
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

I was going to call myself Doctor Strangelove (my L4D name) but somebody already had it here
Reciprocity

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I was going to call myself Doctor Strangelove (my L4D name) but somebody already had it here
ironic, and you probably don't even know why.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I don't know why that's ironic but that guy is awesome, I love the role he played in that movie.

https://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/alien-hand-5.jpg
Reciprocity

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I don't know why that's ironic but that guy is awesome, I love the role he played in that movie.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/alien-hand-5.jpg
Peter Sellers?  which role? just Doctor Strangelove?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6689
https://englishrussia.com/images/russian_ads/5.jpg

It's a cash business, baby. Gotta level with 'em.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Reciprocity wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/alien-hand-5.jpg
Peter Sellers?  which role? just Doctor Strangelove?
https://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9905/petersellersinunascenad.jpg

birdie num num
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Just in general. I loved his role as Dr. Strangelove in Dr. Strangelove but he was good in the pink panther series too. He had a small role in "The man that never was" which was a pretty awesome movie too. A Shot in the dark was hilarious, but I really like all of his Pink Panthers.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard