Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6620|Little Bentcock
all the armour is just different colour, same model stuff.

I used to love /inspect
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
there was such a richness to the in-game world. now it is impoverished. everyone completely satisfied because they have been given everything they want. it's not an MMO anymore, it's just a bunch of individual fantasy-lands where everyone has the misfortune to have to party up with other strangers from time to time to get the gear they want. cross-realm looking for group/looking for battlegrounds totally ruined community cohesion and a feeling of epicness, as well. people rarely even spoke in dungeons after that tool. instant queues, yes, great, instant access to gear. but no talking, no need for socializing or teamwork, no bonhomie. it sucked.

as ever, bringing back a vanilla WoW, i would pay $20 a month to play it.
Brasso
+1,549|6628

wait what? transmog makes it so that you can wield your precious thunderfury without having to swap weapons
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
transmog makes it so that you can permanently make all your gear look like something else. that really doesn't bother you? it's ridiculous. bunch of idiots running around in tier2 when the only time they ever touched a raid of that difficulty was when they were 30 levels above it, solo-ing it.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-02 06:19:06)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

That sounds stupid. If anything, you should only be able to downgrade equipment appearance.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
It is a downgrade. It's nine year old shitty equipment.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Oh? I thought it meant it could make an item look like a stronger level or something.
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5034|Massachusetts, USA
I'm so glad I quit after WoTLK.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Oh? I thought it meant it could make an item look like a stronger level or something.
I dunno what it does honestly, I haven't played the game in five years+ but uzique is bitching about armor being morphed into Tier 2 gear, which is from vanilla WoW circa 2005.

https://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071004023053/wowwiki/images/thumb/d/da/Nightelf-wrath.jpg/198px-Nightelf-wrath.jpg

I think he's bitching because he somehow feels it demeans the efforts he put in to earn it himself. Nevermind that it's a video game and his effort was a complete waste of time in the first place...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Jay wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I dunno what it does honestly, I haven't played the game in five years+ but uzique is bitching about armor being morphed into Tier 2 gear, which is from vanilla WoW circa 2005.

I think he's bitching because he somehow feels it demeans the efforts he put in to earn it himself. Nevermind that it's a video game and his effort was a complete waste of time in the first place...
jay you don't know what you're talking about. i'm not bitching "because it was a waste of effort". it's a huge design change. you can now turn your gear to LOOK LIKE (hint: the skin, not the actual 7 year old gear stats, you retard) any other piece of gear in the game. do you even know what that means for gameplay? in certain PvP encounters - especially in open world - you would judge on the fly whether you should be gathering your plums or legging it based on... the other player's appearance. certain elite-looking gear conveys a prestige and a 'oh shit!' fear factor in game. the look of your character/gear is always a significant motivation to even 'get geared' and level up a good character in the first place. what happens now is that a bunch of people in lvl90 greens and trash gear can go back through 8 year old instances and change all of their gear to look great. now, i'm not bitching about "omg they stole my gear's looks!" (as i said, i have one of the few sets of old-fashioned gear nobody can get: the officer PvP gear), but it's just the game-design principle. you can't 'identify' anyone anymore. you can't assess another player's skill/experience level by their appearance anymore. that's a fairly key part of PvP, and a fairly integral part of the 'epic' feeling in the world, generally (talking about everyone crowding around certain players in cities who have certain items).

it's just a shallow selling-out of one of the things that defines MMORPGs - itemization - and contributes to the epic feeling, just in order to satisfy an increasingly regressive community's instant appetites. it sucks. the feature adds nothing to the game; it only temporarily gratifies some idiots.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-02 09:15:35)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I know it's just a skin change. So what? Some sets were always hideous and people would wear lesser tiered gear that looked better when they were chilling in org or IF. I think it's cool they finally let people choose the skin of their gear. It let's people pick their own look instead of everyone looking uniform. If you want to brag about your l33t epicz just keep it as the default.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
"instead of everyone looking uniform". lol facepalm. specially defined tiers (normally in order of epic appearance, too, before their design department became activision-lite in aesthetic) were a great indicator and marker of a character within a wider server-wide community. honestly there really is no point in the game now. every fuck-off huge amazing mount is easy to get, everyone can look exactly how they want with minimal effort, and everyone is full epic. how does a game's 'reward' or 'achievement' systems maintain coherence or validity, when everyone is rewarded and everyone is achieved? it's a fundamental part of traditional MMO's: not everyone can look amazing, or have the best gear, otherwise the essential rarity and value of that gear becomes meaningless. now everyone is a personal hero for one. a monad in a static universe. it sucks.

funnily enough, as they've added more and more utility to satisfy customers' immediate desires in WoW, the server populations have plummeted. MoP is the least successful expac of all time. most of the worlds top guilds don't even field a 25-man raid team anymore, downsizing to just 10-man raiding (can't even muster 25; a few years ago it was 40 or gtfo). this is the perfect petri-dish experiment in what happens when you remove difficulty and 'you can't have everything you want' elitism in an open-world computer game: people quickly get given everything they want, and then they stop subscribing. no carrot, no stick. just a bedecked vegetable.

and again... where am i intending to brag? i haven't signed in for like 3 years. i've said 3 times now that this trans- system favours me more than anyone else, because i possess one of the armor/weapon sets that is the most inaccessible. i also have a prestigious 'title' that cannot be regained or topped in esteem by any new ezemode-content titles. this system favours me, if anything. i am not complaining because it bothers me on a personal level. these are game critiques, not personal queefs.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-02 09:28:13)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I understand bitching about it messing up PVP, and I did my fair share of preening on top of the Org bank with my bear mount and my tier 6 gear but whatever, I don't see the big deal with being able to change the appearance of gear.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
because you can no longer tell who is a good player and who isn't. because the status that was conferred by epic-looking gear is now meaningless. honestly, detaching gear-values and stats from the gear's essential and intended appearance is stupid. now someone with the best gear in game could skin themselves in rags. people in green noobie gear can make themselves look like the most experienced vanilla raider. it doesn't make any sense. it is a literally senseless game change.

a dye system gives you individuality. changeable character models gives you individuality. WoW has a goddamn in-game barber, ffs. a tabard or personal guild identity adds to your characters' uniqueness. special vanity mounts make you more recognizable, and at least involve some level of objective- or achievement- based attainment. being able to change your skin to look like whatever you want is retarded.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Status is stupid. It's a damn video game.
-Frederick Bastiat
Roc18
`
+655|5789|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
lol WoW

>paying for MMOs
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Jay wrote:

Status is stupid. It's a damn video game.
no one's talking about it as if it's real life status (which you seem to care about an awful lot).

it's relative to a video-game, yes. but what motivates people to play MMO's? to throw thousands of hours at PvP rank grinds, or elite-raiding instances that come with titles, purple-texted fancy-looking gear, and 'achievement' points? uuuuuuh. STATUS. of course 'the pleasure principle' and the game actually being fun to play is the bottomline, but after that, a huge part of what gives MMO's their epic feeling and coherence is in-game items that confer elite status. just like everyone wanted the golden gun in call of duty 4. just like everyone forks over real-life cash to unlock custom skins in league of legends. it's conspicuous. this sort of thing drives gaming, as multiplayer gaming is an inherently social activity, and status and prestige amongst peers is what turns the cogs of that machine. i'm quite surprised you have to have this explained to you as "someone who spent their fair amount of time preening on org bank"... unless you are just being idly contrarian. which sounds more likely.

and yes roc, "lol mmo's", "lol games with subscriptions". sorry, but we didn't all grow up in a house where 9 bucks a month was an amount of money that caused any problems. the subscription model is fading out now...  but i can't see the new micro-transaction world is making it any better. you cry about bf4 and ea/dice being 'cash-whores', but really it's the new financial models that are underwriting this whole design change. subscriptions in MMO's and full retail prices in FPS games... expenditures of a long-lost gaming past, where the games were actually good. enjoy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
And Uzi, I'm telling you that the status aspect hasn't gone away. People can still preen in the best gear if they want. They aren't forced to transmogrify their gear, are they?

I'm not being contrarian, like I said, I used to be that guy, but then I realized how utterly pointless it all was and how much of my life I had wasted trying to be the best at a video game. When I quit my gear was in the top 50 in the world for druids according to the armory website. My main literally had a half year of playing time. A half year of my life completely and utterly wasted. Talking about status in a video game just makes my skin crawl at this point. It's about maturity and perspective.

Last edited by Jay (2013-04-02 10:03:08)

-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
i'm sorry that WoW represents such a personal and emotional sorepoint for you, jay. but please don't lecture me on 'maturity and perspective', because you allowed it to completely overtake your life. many people can play a video-game and partake in the subtle system of status-signifiers and skill markers without giving it 6 months' of their life.

i think my quite rational argument about transmogrifying ruining the in-game immersion and integrity still stands. yes, people can still preen in the absolute best gear if they want. but that's not what people who transmog do. most people dress up shitty gear to look like good (and easily attainable, now) gear from the past. there's no coherence to in-game PvP or player encounters anymore. you literally don't know what you're fighting. that's potentially game-breaking. identifying an armour-set or some such that would denote a players talent build/spec was crucial to lining up a decent 1v1. now you're half-guessing through the 'kekeke tier 2.5 looks awsm' cosmetic bullshit.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-02 10:08:17)

Brasso
+1,549|6628

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

transmog makes it so that you can permanently make all your gear look like something else. that really doesn't bother you? it's ridiculous. bunch of idiots running around in tier2 when the only time they ever touched a raid of that difficulty was when they were 30 levels above it, solo-ing it.
that's true. but i mean there are some people that legitimately did the content at the time it was released. it's not like transmog itself is the problem. for example, i could go farm up shadowmourne or something and wield it just as easily as transmogging my current axe into it. transmog just makes it more convenient (you don't have to swap out weapons/armor to go from looking good to being statistically relevant)
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Brasso wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

that's true. but i mean there are some people that legitimately did the content at the time it was released. it's not like transmog itself is the problem. for example, i could go farm up shadowmourne or something and wield it just as easily as transmogging my current axe into it. transmog just makes it more convenient (you don't have to swap out weapons/armor to go from looking good to being statistically relevant)
the problem with the game is that the design team have made 'looking good' and being 'statistically relevant' two different things. there used to be a time when the art team would make the best gear statistically/functionally also look the most awesome. being driven to acquire those items was one of the main engines of gameplay and collectivization in an MMO universe.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-02 10:14:20)

Roc18
`
WoW is a good game which I payed and played for like 3 months like 5 years ago. Then I realized its not worth the monthly money to play a video game.

Enjoy playing with Kung fu panda.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Brasso wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

at this stage in MoP i'm willing to bet a significant minority did blackwing lair to earn that paladin tier2 that everyone seems to like so much. ditto bloodfang. plus the obvious fact that the vanilla raids are now the easiest to solo. you see a lot of shitnoobs in a lot of the best 'classic' gear. but yes, a very small minority are oldschool classic players that just want to keep a frozen snapshot of their character in the best gear they've got. however, again, it plays all sorts of fuckery with the actual gameplay. i just really don't see who benefits other than individual players and their whims out of this.

mind you, WoW does have far bigger problems than transmog destroying the community and MMO factor today. but this is just one of those small things that are contributing to the complete hollowing out of the 'massive' feel. many people talk about it. it's just the principle of player gratification it symbolizes.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-02 10:14:50)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Roc18 wrote:

WoW is a good game which I payed and played for like 3 months like 5 years ago. Then I realized its not worth the monthly money to play a video game.

Enjoy playing with Kung fu panda.
have never played MoP but thanks. about 15 million people at its peak disagreed with you about the oh-so-crippling $9 monthly fee. "it's not worth it" is a pretty laughable rationalization. the monthly fee is about as much as two beers here. not worth it to swap out a game you'd play for maybe 20 hours a week on average for 2 beers? ok.

enjoy food stamps.
Roc18
`
That money could buy alcohol for you and a girl. Which could lead to sex. I'd make that trade.

Last edited by Roc18 (2013-04-02 10:17:13)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard