FloppY_
­
+1,010|6292|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Bertster7 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

I didn't pass any judgement on their products. I see more Apple ads than I see ads for any other tech maker.
Well they are the largest marketing company in the world so that's hardly surprising.
fixd*
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477
not fixed though, is it, you fucking moron.

apple don't spend much on marketing... have you not read the last 2 pages?

there are LOTS of FAR BIGGER marketing companies.

typical droll anti-apple shite from mr. predictable and mr. eternally-clueless floppydick
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6588|SE London

FloppY_ wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

I didn't pass any judgement on their products. I see more Apple ads than I see ads for any other tech maker.
Well they are the largest marketing company in the world so that's hardly surprising.
fixd*
You know Apple's marketing spend is actually very low?

It's something they go on and on about at various presentations. They are very proud of the fact they get billions worth of free marketing from confidentiality and the speculation it generates.

The biggest tech company (since they overtook Google and Microsoft), with no where near the largest advertising spend. They're all very simple, very cheap advertising campaigns.

You want to see a company that spends a lot on marketing, you need to look to the likes of Coca-Cola.

Chump.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6773|UK
Very low? If half a billion or 10% of their budget is very low maybe. Which is more than Microsoft does in their competing markets (computers).

http://techcrunch.com/2008/11/21/yup-ap … ft-vistas/
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6743|Oxferd Ohire
people dont seem to know the meaning of

edit: im assuming floppy knows apple doesnt spend much

Last edited by RTHKI (2010-07-24 12:06:29)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477

Vilham wrote:

Very low? If half a billion or 10% of their budget is very low maybe. Which is more than Microsoft does in their competing markets (computers).

apple are not a 'marketing-led' company, no matter which way you spin it.

10% of a budget is a very low amount for marketing in an industry as hyper-competitive and brand-aware as the technology industry.

VERY LOW.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6773|UK
Yeah im not disputing that, they are clearly a word of mouth led company, that doesn't mean they aren't spending phenomenal amounts of money on advertising and marketing.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6588|SE London

Vilham wrote:

Did you actually read that article?

Update: Microsoft spends more on advertising across all of its combined businesses than Apple does, but its Windows business is what competes most directly with Apple. Microsoft’s total advertising budget across all of its businesses, including Windows, Office, Xbox, and all the enterprise stuff, was the following (from the 10K): “Advertising expense was $1.2 billion, $1.3 billion, and $1.2 billion in fiscal years 2008, 2007, and 2006, respectively.”
Apple are bigger than Microsoft, but spend less on advertising.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477
it's all relative, how can you be so obtuse and dumb about it on purpose?

'huge amounts of money' - to what standard? the average yearly salary of one person? oh yeah, SURE. compared to other companies that have marketing-led / brand-awareness strategies? other heavily competitive businesses in other hyper-competitive industries? NOPE, TRY AGAIN.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5760|Roma
Could a mod close this thread.
For some incredibly unknown unexplainable reason the thread got OT.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6773|UK
Yes across its combined businesses. Microsoft has its hand in FAR more markets than Apple. To say Apple doesn't spend much on advertising is bullshit; even if they don't rely on it to market themselves.

Uzique, Apple spends $487 million advertising a relatively small number of markets compared with Microsofts $900 million advertising a much wider number of markets.

So no, actually Apple DOES spend a very large amount of money on advertising. Microsoft's expenditure in 2009 was $28.9 Billion, so their advertising budget was actually 3% of their spending, compared with 10% of apples.

Last edited by Vilham (2010-07-24 12:47:48)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477
vilham there is simply no way you can spin your figures to be right... you're categorically wrong.

take any other marketing-led business in any other brand-important industry and their budget spending on advertising/branding/marketing will be MUCH higher. sorry. saying they spend 'huge' amounts of money means nothing... as i said - it's all relative. huge amounts of money when their annual budget and annual turnover is exponentially 'huger'? you're wrong. shut up.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6773|UK
Actually if you did any research like I did you would realise that in fact, your wrong; yet again. Sorry uzique.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477
the point you are totally failing to recognize is that 10% spending on marketing to increase brand-awareness / consumer perception and credibility / market penetration is a SMALL amount. some businesses will budget huge amounts of their annual-spending and outgoing costs on such strategies. the fact that 10% is the figure is a statement that it is a smaller and less significant part of apple's business-plan. kk. google research does not equal a clue about marketing or business strategy, evidently. also stop using semi-colons inappropriately - it's the most annoying grammatical mistake of them all.

Last edited by Uzique (2010-07-24 13:00:53)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6773|UK
Clearly not if another HUGE company spends far less of their budget on it. In fact Apple has the 74th highest marketing budget in the US. (Next your going to claim that being in the top 74th in the US isn't a significant figure. Blah blah blah)

bert wrote:

The biggest tech company (since they overtook Google and Microsoft), with no where near the largest advertising spend. They're all very simple, very cheap advertising campaigns.
Theres no doubt they are value for money based on their operating profits but seeing as Bert clearly referenced Microsoft as a comparable company I think its pretty justified me proving that wrong.

You mean reading Microsoft and Apples financial reports for 2009, indeed nothing could be worse research.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6330|Graz, Austria

aerodynamic wrote:

So I received an email from my Uni that says "We are planning on collaborating with Apple inc. to try out an innovative project that uses their new product the iPad. This will make our University one of the two first universities (the other being Pittsburgh University) to use this technology. All the students and teachers will have a 40% discount upon purchasing the iPad at any official Apple Store. Please respond to this email so we can add your name to the list that will be sent to Apple." So a 40% discount on the iPad. Should I do it?
Hmm...
Could also be a spam mail trying to gather new mail addresses, exploiting the recent iPad hype.

Vilham wrote:

That's still like 250 quid and it's still some kind of inbred love child of a computer and a phone. So no.
This.
That thing is crap for all usages I can think of where I would need mobile computing and/or telephony.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6588|SE London

Vilham wrote:

Clearly not if another HUGE company spends far less of their budget on it. In fact Apple has the 74th highest marketing budget in the US. (Next your going to claim that being in the top 74th in the US isn't a significant figure. Blah blah blah)

bert wrote:

Theres no doubt they are value for money based on their operating profits but seeing as Bert clearly referenced Microsoft as a comparable company I think its pretty justified me proving that wrong.

You mean reading Microsoft and Apples financial reports for 2009, indeed nothing could be worse research.
But they don't.

Microsoft spend more on advertising across their businesses than Apple do.

Apple are bigger than Microsoft. Therefore Microsoft spend a greater proportion of their revenue on advertising.

It's soooooooo simple.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6743|Oxferd Ohire
where is this marketing budget list?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6588|SE London

RTHKI wrote:

where is this marketing budget list?
Techcrunch link above is what Vilham has been going from.

Which states:

Microsoft spends more on advertising across all of its combined businesses than Apple does, but its Windows business is what competes most directly with Apple. Microsoft’s total advertising budget across all of its businesses, including Windows, Office, Xbox, and all the enterprise stuff, was the following (from the 10K): “Advertising expense was $1.2 billion, $1.3 billion, and $1.2 billion in fiscal years 2008, 2007, and 2006, respectively.”
It turns out that I underestimated Apple’s advertising budget. Lindsay Blakely at Bnet (a former Business 2.0  reporter) found the actual numbers in a subsequent SEC filing. In its 2008 fiscal year that just ended last September, Apple spent a whopping $486 million on advertising. (In fiscal year 2007, it spent $467 million, and in fiscal year 2006 it spent $338 million).
$428 million is less than $1.2 billion
$467 million is less than $1.3 billion
$338 million is less than $1.2 billion

Apple is a bigger company than Microsoft (higher market cap (total value of all shares)). The whole idea that Vilham is pushing about Apple spending loads on advertising compared to their competitors is complete nonsense.

The article is stupid too. Apple don't do any advertising directly competing with Vista advertising. There is very little in the way of Snow Leopard advertising. They advertise machines with the OS as a bundle. It's not a directly comparable product, so the idea of only doing direct comparisons is bollocks too.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2010-07-26 12:47:27)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6773|UK
Well done bert. If you had managed to read my other posts you would notice that I reinforced what I said with information from both Microsoft and Apples 2008 financial reports. Apple may be worth more than Microsoft, but it has much smaller expenditure, and because of that smaller expenditure by percentage of expenditure they spend 3x more of their budget on advertisement.

"Theres no doubt they are value for money based on their operating profits but seeing as Bert clearly referenced Microsoft as a comparable company I think its pretty justified me proving that wrong."

Now shhh and go be an apple fanboy elsewhere.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5592

MS does have a wider range of unique products. The 360, the Zune, various forms of OSes and software, and a few others things. So if they spend more than apple on advertising it would make sense since they have more products.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6588|SE London

Macbeth wrote:

MS does have a wider range of unique products. The 360, the Zune, various forms of OSes and software, and a few others things. So if they spend more than apple on advertising it would make sense since they have more products.
No they don't.

Software, they both make similar stuff (though Apple don't do a decent mail server). Zune, iPod. Phones. Desktop market. Laptop market. Server market. Weird gadget market (iPad, Apple TV etc.). iTunes. App Store. eBook store.

They're not in the console market so don't compete with the 360 - but the iPod/iPad/iPhone has a 20% share of the portable gaming market anyway.
13rin
+977|6485
Interesting study.

My boss owns one...
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477

Bertster7 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

No they don't.

Software, they both make similar stuff (though Apple don't do a decent mail server). Zune, iPod. Phones. Desktop market. Laptop market. Server market. Weird gadget market (iPad, Apple TV etc.). iTunes. App Store. eBook store.

They're not in the console market so don't compete with the 360 - but the iPod/iPad/iPhone has a 20% share of the portable gaming market anyway.
bert has been the only guy making business sense in this thread.

some people are alarmingly misguided and clueless about business... give them some figures and their minds get stuck.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6773|UK
Yeah I agree, being the 74th largest advertiser in the US means they are spending basically nothing on advertising.

I also fully support not looking at any figures what so ever and trying to claim you have the correct opinion. Tbh thats the basis of all good arguments, 100% opinion zero proof. I mean seriously who needs proof...

Last edited by Vilham (2010-07-28 13:09:17)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard