Ryan
+1,230|6852|Alberta, Canada

lol copy pasta. You wanted to know what it could do, so there, I posted it for your convenience.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6629|Mhz

Sooo basically from that, the bit that a normal smartphone/iPhone doesn't have is... a big screen and a MS Word clone type thing?

Ryan wrote:

lol copy pasta. You wanted to know what it could do, so there, I posted it for your convenience.
Actually I wanted to know what it can do that other (cheaper) stuff can't.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2010-07-22 09:34:53)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6775|UK

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Sooo basically from that, the bit that a normal smartphone/iPhone doesn't have is... a big screen and a MS Word clone type thing?
ooo watch out Uzique will think your a retard for comparing some of its functionality to a smartphone....
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
stop mentioning fucking smartphones/iphones...

it is NOT a phone and does not even PRETEND to be.

make that 4 retards in this thread

yo vilham, here's an education:

smartphones -> MAKE PHONE CALLS

Last edited by Uzique (2010-07-22 09:35:49)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6775|UK
Fuck sake Uzique, stop being such a pedant the whole time. Smart phones are designed to run small scale mobile applications not just make calls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

Learn what a smartphone is. Here Ill do it for you:

"Smartphones and feature phones may be thought of as handheld computers integrated within a mobile telephone,"

Last edited by Vilham (2010-07-22 09:37:26)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
no, no, no.

the central defining factor of a smartPHONE is the fact that it's a PHONE that makes fucking PHONE-CALLS.

the 'smart' part is ancillary, bonus, extra-functionality; gimmicks, gizmos, nifty features.

stop criticizing the ipad as a 'failed smartPHONE'.

it's nothing more than a FAILED retard judgement.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6629|Mhz

Uzique wrote:

smartphones -> MAKE PHONE CALLS
Actually smart phones do basically what Ryan posted, and make phone calls, so the comparison still stands really.  Unless you want a big iPhone than can't make phone calls, it fits that niche nicely.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6775|UK
I didn't say its a failed smartphone I said its some kind of inbred love child of a computer and [smart]phone.

Which it is, it attempts to be some kind of laptop that mainly runs smartphone scale aps.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Has anyone here who is critical of the iPad actually used one?

They're lovely to use. They might be a bit pointless, but they're really, really nice. I want one. Don't really know what I'd use it for - not much probabaly, but it's a very desireable thing.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5923|...

I wouldn't mind if the Droid made something similar...a large version of the droid(with slide screen to access a a keyboard) would be great as a portable laptop type thing.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
lol, no. the fitting comparison for an ipad is to compare it to a netbook/notebook/whatever... a small 'handheld computing device'.

the operative and key-part of vilham's description for a 'smartphone' is "INTEGRATED INTO A MOBILE-PHONE".

if you cannot see the retarded logic in criticizing the ipad on the basis of NOT BEING A SMARTPHONE then... well what the fuck.

you are dumb.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6775|UK
As I said, pedant. That is all.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6528|Πάϊ

ghettoperson wrote:

Uzique wrote:

i'd get it on discount... what's the worst that can happen? you have to sell it on ebay and still make a profit? win/win
Agreed.
ƒ³
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6662

Bertster7 wrote:

They might be a bit pointless
And as a student you might be better off making safer investments
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6748|Toronto | Canada

Ryan wrote:

Safari
iPad is the best way to experience the web. View whole pages in portrait or landscape on the large Multi-Touch screen. And let your fingers do the surfing. Learn more
Look! Flash! Oh wait...   Otherwise, very nice browser.  Pinch and pull is still best on iProducts

Ryan wrote:

Mail

There’s nothing like the Mail app on iPad. With a split-screen view and expansive onscreen keyboard, it lets you see and touch your email in ways you never could before.
This is quite nice, works with Exchange which is great. +1

Ryan wrote:

Photos

A vivid LED-backlit IPS display makes viewing photos on iPad extraordinary. Open albums with a tap. Flip through your pictures one by one. Or play a slideshow and share your photos.
IPS = sexy

Ryan wrote:

Videos

The 9.7-inch high-resolution screen makes iPad perfect for watching HD movies, TV shows, podcasts, music videos, and more.
No, just fail.  Its not even HD, how can they claim its perfect for HD?  Also, its not even widescreen either.

Ryan wrote:

YouTube

With the YouTube app designed specifically for iPad, videos are even easier to find. And on the amazing iPad display, they’re more fun to watch. Especially in HD.
Youtube is great on it.   Not HD though, again no widescreen or HD resolution

Ryan wrote:

Maps

See more of the world with iPad. Find locations easier than ever with street view, satellite view, or new terrain view — all using Google services.
Awesome app +1

The keyboard is pretty awful too.  You need to hold it in just the perfect place to be able to type quickly.  It would have been better to have a grippy surface on the back so it doesnt slide when you try to type on your lap.

Bertster7 wrote:

They're lovely to use. They might be a bit pointless, but they're really, really nice. I want one. Don't really know what I'd use it for - not much probabaly, but it's a very desireable thing.
I've used uhh... 7 now.

Last edited by Winston_Churchill (2010-07-22 09:45:22)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Lucien wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Safer investments than Apple products at 40% off?

You could sell it for 80% of retail value no problem. You must not understand what a safe investment is, because that is a great investment.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6528|Πάϊ

Bertster7 wrote:

aaaaaaaahahahahahaha aha aha haaa
ƒ³
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6662

Bertster7 wrote:

Lucien wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

You could sell it for 80% of retail value no problem. You must not understand what a safe investment is, because that is a great investment.
Yes aerodynamic can sell his off. We all agree with uzique's post. I meant the ipad as a replacement for a laptop entirely for normal students.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6629|Mhz

It isn't much like a netbook though. You can use a netbook without needing a PC or Mac around to feed it things, a iPad seems to need other stuff to make it usable, maybe not, can you put music/films on it without being forced to buy through itunes and without having to use another computer? Plus it cant read any external media either that I know of.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
lucien your logic is also retarded.

safer investments than an apple product, 40% off?

you do realize apple-products sell like hotcakes to students and people of our age?

40% and turning a considerable profit... in the event you don't like it.

what 'better' things could a student invest it on? beer and student-union nights? retarded.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Lucien wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Lucien wrote:

Yes aerodynamic can sell his off. We all agree with uzique's post. I meant the ipad as a replacement for a laptop entirely for normal students.
Nah - it'd be a shit replacement for a laptop.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6658

Bertster7 wrote:

I want one just so I can play AngryBirds HD. Otherwise they're pretty pointless.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5762|Roma
So...buy?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
at which point did the apple-offer and university-email state:

"we have teamed-up with apple to offer you the excellent opportunity to scrap your laptops, throw them away, and now use ipads 24/7"
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

It isn't much like a netbook though. You can use a netbook without needing a PC or Mac around to feed it things, a iPad seems to need other stuff to make it usable, maybe not, can you put music/films on it without being forced to buy through itunes and without having to use another computer? Plus it cant read any external media either that I know of.
What do you mean "can't read external media"? A webpage is external media. Virtually anything is external media.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard