Dickheads.16%16% - 21
Alright people.32%32% - 40
Depends.51%51% - 64
Total: 125
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6585|England

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Most people who say 'fuck tha police' are either involved in criminal activity or wanna feel rebellious even though they'd shit their pants if they were ever involved in something like this
Maybe so, but as I mentioned before I'm in neither of those groups and that is still my attitude.  Why?  Because of their apathetic attitude to the job they're paid to do.  I'm not the only average person in society that feels this way.  I don't keep the company of scumbags or trouble causers, yet I know few people who think the police do a good job when called upon.  This worries me.  Being made to feel like a burden to them, or just plain ignored when their help is requested worries me.  This has not only happened once, but the half dozen times I've had to call on them.  That just downright pisses me off.
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
i also think another wider social/political issue is how 'invasive' the instrument of our police force is nowadays.

erosion of concepts of 'liberty' and personal 'freedom'; privacy and the access to information about you; every-day police and cctv involvement.

all pretty hot-topics that show an alarming increase in the prevalance of police-state type directives.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

KingCheese wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Most people who say 'fuck tha police' are either involved in criminal activity or wanna feel rebellious even though they'd shit their pants if they were ever involved in something like this
Maybe so, but as I mentioned before I'm in neither of those groups and that is still my attitude.  Why?  Because of their apathetic attitude to the job they're paid to do.  I'm not the only average person in society that feels this way.  I don't keep the company of scumbags or trouble causers, yet I know few people who think the police do a good job when called upon.  This worries me.  Being made to feel like a burden to them, or just plain ignored when their help is requested worries me.  This has not only happened once, but the half dozen times I've had to call on them.  That just downright pisses me off.
Problem with the police today is that they are so constrained in how they can respond to an issue. They have to reach targets for certain types of crimes, instead of just going out and preventing/solving any crime that comes along. Their priorities are muddled up and too many of the top officers lack any kind of sense.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
pigs is shady
Tu Stultus Es
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
that's called 'bureaucracy' and it has an effect on every single organisation/institution.

it's not a police-specific issue. not even specific to the public-services.

there are strong-cases for 'targets' and 'objective-driven' operations, too. they're operating on tax-payer's money and the investors want to see a return, or at least a tangible result in their council-area.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
I knew a cop that arrested some cat for dui when he was drunk himself
Tu Stultus Es
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.
My friend got put in the cells one night for walking the wrong way when told to go home. "But I live that way"...

Right you're coming with me.

Lol
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6585|England

M.O.A.B wrote:

KingCheese wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Problem with the police today is that they are so constrained in how they can respond to an issue. They have to reach targets for certain types of crimes, instead of just going out and preventing/solving any crime that comes along. Their priorities are muddled up and too many of the top officers lack any kind of sense.
Well, I would assume assault would be fairly high up there in their priorities.  I'll go into a little detail about the second to last dealing I had with the coppers.  My brother had been out for a few beers, and was walking home at about 3am.  3 geezers jumped out of an alleyway and attacked him.  While two were holding him, the other pulled a knife.  He managed to get away, and start running home.  Now, these fellas must have had a car because as he got near home, they fucking ambushed him and beat the shit out of him.  Badly.  I got woken up by him soaked in blood and totally shaken up.  I called the cops.  They turned up in about an hour.  They were accusatory towards my brother from the outset, implying he must have provoked them somehow.  Then they sneeringly asked him if he was on drugs.  He said no.  They took the description of the 3 attackers and then came up with this little gem before they left - "It's not worth us looking for these guys because we have no chance of finding them.  Besisdes, you shouldn't really be out on your own at this sort of time - especially if you've been drinking."

Fucking heros huh?
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
i got arrested 5 years ago because some dumb cunt sheriffs deputy didnt believe that I had just been discharged from the army
Tu Stultus Es
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6520|Πάϊ

eleven bravo wrote:

i got arrested 5 years ago because some dumb cunt sheriffs deputy didnt believe that I had just been discharged from the army
https://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Rambo_DVD/sylvester_stallone_rambo_first_blood_movie_image__4_.jpg
ƒ³
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
more like a 10 month court battle
Tu Stultus Es
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6131|North Tonawanda, NY
It really does depend.  I've had both positive and negative encounters with police, ranging from them being helpful when dealing with some disruptive neighbors to threatening to arrest me for larceny when I was grabage picking one night.  I did get a speeding ticket, and while the trooper was courteous, he embellished on my speed a bit for the ticket.

I have quite a few relatives who are or were police, and some of them are good and some of the stories I've heard are just...disgusting.  And of course, stuff like this does not help at all.  To sum it up, a local police force went down in flames for corruption:

Chief Merritt Rahn
*Suspended
*Indicted on 12 counts, including hindering of a prosecution, tampering with public records, falsifying business records, and offering a false instrument for filing.

Sergeant Nick Joesph
*Fired
*Convicted of hit and run while under the influence of cocaine and alcohol
*Serving 3 to 7 years in prison

Officer Gary Pignato
*Fired
*Convicted of coercing a women into sex
*Serving 2 to 6 years
*Facing trial on a second sexual assault in November

Sergeant Robert Trowbridge
*Suspended
*Charged with filing a false instrument: the background check of Gary Pignato

Sergeant Brian Ball
*Fired
*Charged with offering a false instrument, falsifying records and official misconduct
*Accused of covering up evidence in a November 2005 fatal car accident.

Deputy Chief Bill Mackin
*Suspended, now retired
*Accused of departmental charges and possible disciplinary action

Officer Thomas Scammerhorn
  *Conducted the investigation into the Nick Joseph crash
  *Demoted from sergeant to officer
  *Remains on the force
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

KingCheese wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

KingCheese wrote:

Well, I would assume assault would be fairly high up there in their priorities.  I'll go into a little detail about the second to last dealing I had with the coppers.  My brother had been out for a few beers, and was walking home at about 3am.  3 geezers jumped out of an alleyway and attacked him.  While two were holding him, the other pulled a knife.  He managed to get away, and start running home.  Now, these fellas must have had a car because as he got near home, they fucking ambushed him and beat the shit out of him.  Badly.  I got woken up by him soaked in blood and totally shaken up.  I called the cops.  They turned up in about an hour.  They were accusatory towards my brother from the outset, implying he must have provoked them somehow.  Then they sneeringly asked him if he was on drugs.  He said no.  They took the description of the 3 attackers and then came up with this little gem before they left - "It's not worth us looking for these guys because we have no chance of finding them.  Besisdes, you shouldn't really be out on your own at this sort of time - especially if you've been drinking."

Fucking heros huh?
There's a woman my aunt knows who left her front door open while she was getting the shopping from the car. Somebody slipped into her house and stole her purse. She calls the police, and a day or so later, CID is on the case. Like I said, priorities are muddled up.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6655
In really small towns (say, 1000 people or less), or cities, cops tend to not go out of their way to bother people needlessly...in the case of city cops, they have much bigger worries than minor traffic violations, teenagers smoking dope, etc., and in small towns they tend to not have much of a police force, and are more likely to be laid back.  Cops in really small towns get a bad rap in movies, etc., but in my experiences they are usually just acting as keepers of the peace who stay out of peoples business for the most part.

Cops in small-ish towns and suburbs, however, are a complete crapshoot, and how they behave largely depends on the region and whether or not there is potential to milk peoples money via tickets, fines, etc...the worst cops I've encountered have been in towns of roughly 5000-20,000 people, because they have enough money to have the toys they want, but not enough crime to warrant it (no pun intended).  Power-tripping is generally the rule here.

And actually, a lot of university cops seem to be bigger dicks than "regular" cops...chips on their shoulders, perhaps, or maybe just boredom.

(I'm basing this on stuff I've experienced, and what I've been told by a friend who is in law enforcement here in Missouri....)
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.

KingCheese wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

KingCheese wrote:

Fucking heros huh?
I got jumped by a gang of muslims, someone must have rang the police. My face was a mess and one of my front teeth had been nearly knocked out. And it was snowing so I was freezing.

Anyway police turn up in range rover, I tell them what happened, their response?

"Put some snow on it".

My dental bills are up to £1100, and my tooth is still too far down. I now can't afford any more treatment so I'm reduced to filing away at it for 5 mins everyday with a sharpening stone. Hurts but I'm kinda vain.

I now carry a folding knife everywhere I go...

Last edited by jord (2010-07-20 08:59:55)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
They have the authority to kill a minority
Tu Stultus Es
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6776|Moscow, Russia

Uzique wrote:

but no way! a thread asking generally about impressions of 'the police' has stereotypes and generalisations!
but that's exactly the point: the question was "what do you think of police" and your answer is "it's full of assholes"? wtf? this fucking world is full of assholes as is each and every nation in it with every law enforcement institution in those. when there's a crime there's something to counter it, when there's drug use there are going to be those who'd go rack up all the junkies, when there are football ultras there sure as hell are going to be those who would keep them in check. the police is as much a product of your society as everything else.

to answer the OP like you did is like when asked "what do you think about the sun" answer "it's kinda round".
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6661|The darkside of Denver
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6523
whats nwa stand for?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
oink oink

mostly useless.

ig wrote:

whats nwa stand for?

Last edited by Superior Mind (2010-07-20 09:36:07)

ig
+1,199|6523
legit
ig
+1,199|6523
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6474|6 6 4 oh, I forget

No one posted this yet??

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
this song has nothing to do with the police you dolt!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard