Your opinion of police?

Dickheads.16%16% - 21
Alright people.32%32% - 40
Depends.51%51% - 64
Total: 125
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6466
since the police constabulary are one of the fine public-services operating upon a certain social philosophy of utilitarianism...

apply the same principle to 'druggies'...

therein you'll find your answer, smartass.

ta!

btw pathetic little wanky attempts at personal-attacks won't do any harm here. i was hassled by the police and treated like a criminal for doing a drug in the safety of my own room, bothering nobody, with the exact same legality as caffeine and cough-syrup. they were called to 'help' me supposedly with an incident that had nothing to do with drugs or controlled substances-- but instead deferred taking me to the hospital so they could arrest me and lock me up for something that was entirely my own business and, crucially, entirely LEGAL. the police failed there on every count: called out to a 'person in distress' -> put them in more distress by giving them legal hassles too, ding ding! utilitarian principles... out the window.

Last edited by Uzique (2010-07-20 07:01:39)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6580|England

RTHKI wrote:

Uzique wrote:

tbh it all stems back to my initial observation about there being a motivational psychology behind police-force recruitment...

it attracts a certain sort of person. and that's the certain sort of person i'd rather not associate with.
yea, soo much worse than druggies who od
And a druggie who od's is a problem to you how?  A copper with a shitty attitude to helping the very people who he is there to serve affects (potentially) everyone.

Last edited by KingCheese (2010-07-20 07:00:51)

"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6466

KingCheese wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

Uzique wrote:

tbh it all stems back to my initial observation about there being a motivational psychology behind police-force recruitment...

it attracts a certain sort of person. and that's the certain sort of person i'd rather not associate with.
yea, soo much worse than druggies who od
And a druggie who od's is a problem to you how?  A copper with a shitty attitude to helping the very people who he is there to serve affects (potentially) everyone.
exactly my point but little christian americans won't understand moral or ethical concepts like that. they're raised that a 'xyz' sort of person is 'bad' and is thus acceptably deprived of their liberty and human-rights just because they don't fit their little mormon handbook. no ta. have fun catching up to europe with your social-approaches from 200 years ago.

to clarify my stance re: 'police and drugs'. i think law enforcement should keep a tight-stance on controlled and illegal substances - but not bothering drug addicts and people that are using in the comfort and safety of their own home. use your public-funding, resources and time more worthily and chase the organized-crime aspects of drug dealing: the gangs, the smuggling-circles, the money-laundering, the bribed-officials... the people doing real social and societal damage. hassling people with small amounts of drugs for personal use in their own living-room is a poor attempt at 'law enforcement' and 'the war on drugs' that does little more than give the papers something to applaud the useless police-force for.

fact.

Last edited by Uzique (2010-07-20 07:06:30)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6669|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
The coppers at football start half the problem themselves, they're up for it more than the fans, not only do they get to go in swash buckling with batons, they have shields, and back up too and they are fucking racist, maybe not against colour as such but countries.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6101|eXtreme to the maX
Seen that too, at the handgun ban rally in London a squad of Police with batons and shields came scowling and shouting right through the middle of the crowd at Trafalgar Square.
It was pretty obvious they wanted trouble, and very dumb to send ~10 Police into a crowd of 50,000, but we ignored them.

Don't underestimate the importance of a free press in keeping the Police in check.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-07-20 07:08:06)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
jord
+2,382|6673|The North, beyond the wall.
That's true as well 27. I've seen more coppers so up for it I was sure they were on speed or something.

Training only goes so far of course, people are people despite a year training and a badge.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6466
and those people precisely want to go into the police-force so they can legally rough-up some innocent people, minding their own business... and feel better and more superior in the process.
Cardiff vs Swansea back in 04 approx.  Huge fights outside, Swansea are safe on the buses and have been bricked the fuck out of Cardiff.  The police are scrapping with Cardiff in the car park, bricks, horses, dogs, as Danny Dyer would say 'proppa nawty boys'.  The police re-group and 10 of them head off to the corner of the car park, squat down like when ya bird starts to piss and start banging the tips of their telescopic batons in the ground.  They are all in a circle I expected some kind of chanting to come from them and break out into some full blown Zulu dance.

Fucking weirdo's.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6466
essentially i would argue that anybody that joins the police-force with 'decent' motives or 'public service' in mind is just too much of a pussy to join the real deal: the armed forces. the police get a modicum of power and permission to use 'bonus' civil liberties, but they don't actually have to do anything involving real effort, bravery or genuine commitment to serving your country. the police-courses around here in the UK that i know of are for people that struggled-academically to get good results (i.e. no hopers, diploma-kids, apprenticeship fodder) or thugs that want a license to get involved in riots.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6771|Moscow, Russia

Uzique wrote:

essentially i would argue that anybody that joins the police-force with 'decent' motives or 'public service' in mind is just too much of a pussy to join the real deal: the armed forces. the police get a modicum of power and permission to use 'bonus' civil liberties, but they don't actually have to do anything involving real effort, bravery or genuine commitment to serving your country. the police-courses around here in the UK that i know of are for people that struggled-academically to get good results (i.e. no hopers, diploma-kids, apprenticeship fodder) or thugs that want a license to get involved in riots.
were do you get all this from, dude? from your books on psychology? really, you must've only met those police officers who's job is to pickup those od'ed carcasses lying in the streets and put 'em somewhere to sober up.
now, don't get me wrong - you have a point, certainly, but you are also massively stereotyping here imo.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6466
haha i don't read any books on psychology. and i don't keep company exclusively with dope-fiends.

but no way! a thread asking generally about impressions of 'the police' has stereotypes and generalisations!

Last edited by Uzique (2010-07-20 07:40:22)

jord
+2,382|6673|The North, beyond the wall.
There probably are decently educated people that join the police. Detectives and such, that solve murders and do a good job. Average police enforcer though, well what uzi said is generally correct.

Avoid at all costs.

jord wrote:

well what uzi says is generally correct.
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6580|England
Copper = failed soldier.  Failed copper = Asda security guard.  Attitude gets proportionately shittier in relation to the degree of fail.

Last edited by KingCheese (2010-07-20 07:44:18)

"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6715|Scotland
Well... my view is they're there to enforce the law, however fucked up some laws may be. Just doing their job imo.

I would have though common sense prevails, and I nearly got caught by a po-woman toking up at work. Man that was a close call.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5995|Vortex Ring State

jord wrote:

There probably are decently educated people that join the police. Detectives and such, that solve murders and do a good job. Average police enforcer though, well what uzi said is generally correct.

Avoid at all costs.
yeah people who want to get involved in riots WITH a shield and baton...
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6567

never had any bad experiences with ones, like someone said they have to deal with a lot of dick heads so i can understand why they'd be dicks to others. when i've been pulled over before though they always seem friendly.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6218|Escea

Quite a few members of my family were with the police at some point: Grandad, Great Aunt, Uncle 1, Uncle 2, Mam.

That was back when the police were actually worth a damn in operation before they brought in targets.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Like everyone else, it just depends. Some people do get into it in anticipation of slamming faces into car hoods. Others (far fewer I think, unfortunately) are the true believers.

M.O.A.B wrote:

Quite a few members of my family were with the police at some point: Grandad, Great Aunt, Uncle 1, Uncle 2, Mam.

That was back when the police were actually worth a damn in operation before they brought in targets.
I hope ya family now behave themselves and toe the line.  Fancy having to tell ya Gramps off or collect him from the nick, how awful.  Respek pops.
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6580|England
I'd understand them being dicks to me if I'd done something wrong.  But I've never been on the wrong side of the law.  My only experiences with them have been as a victim of crime, and their attitude has 100% of the time been terrible.  No, beyond terrible.  They've been utter wankers, absolutely not providing the service that my tax pound pays for.
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6567

KingCheese wrote:

I'd understand them being dicks to me if I'd done something wrong.  But I've never been on the wrong side of the law.  My only experiences with them have been as a victim of crime, and their attitude has 100% of the time been terrible.  No, beyond terrible.  They've been utter wankers, absolutely not providing the service that my tax pound pays for.
actually come to think of it i've never had to call them or anything either, maybe when that comes around they'll turn out to be useless mongs
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6218|Escea

1927 wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

I hope ya family now behave themselves and toe the line.  Fancy having to tell ya Gramps off or collect him from the nick, how awful.  Respek pops.
https://knowyourmeme.com/i/681/original/what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5697|College Park, MD
I think most of them are pretty good people just trying to keep their communities safe. Some of them are dickheads, yes, and that's an endemic problem that has to be taken care of.

I once had an encounter with the Maryland State Police when I got in a car crash... they were fine. I was questioned by the Park Police for pot possession (my friend had it on him but we were all in the same car) and while I really hate the current marijuana laws, I also know they're doing their job and they weren't assholes about it (for the most part). My most recent interaction involved a police officer taking a statement from me after being witness to a car hitting a bicyclist.

Most people who say 'fuck tha police' are either involved in criminal activity or wanna feel rebellious even though they'd shit their pants if they were ever involved in something like this:

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6466
there's nothing 'rebellious' about being anti-police, tbh. although yes i would agree that even the most harmless and innocuous parts of the police/legal system are pants-shittingly terrifying when you're there yourself and it's not a matter of watching it on tv or reading about it somewhere. but that's part of my 'problem' with the police as an institution: their ethos seems to be structured around being this machine-like administrator of public-justice; they remove all human emotion and throw concepts of respect, liberty and common-decency right out the window. being treated and processed by the police feels like you're getting fingered by a robot.

Last edited by Uzique (2010-07-20 08:22:13)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard