Dickheads.16%16% - 21
Alright people.32%32% - 40
Depends.51%51% - 64
Total: 125
Choclot
+21|6513
Cronulla hopefully.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6692|Sydney, Australia

Choclot wrote:

Cronulla hopefully.
Lol, good luck Won't have a chance of running into me then, unless you end up at Castle Hill, Hornsby or Eastwood
Choclot
+21|6513
One of my Lecturers is a Chief Inspector or some thing like that around that area.

And at least the Taiwanese police gave him a few good chances to surrender.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6746|Moscow, Russia
police is always alike to the society it operates in and recruits its members from. in russia it is... well... utter shit, tbh.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6243

Shahter wrote:

police is always alike to the society it operates in and recruits its members from. in russia it is... well... utter shit, tbh.
very true.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock
I like cops I don't know why every dumb person I know hates them. Oh yeah it because they keep getting hastled by them because they act like dickheads.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6382|'Murka

Depends.

I think people assume far too much about cops based on the small number they have actually encountered. The police are a microcosm of society, just like any other organization. They will have their good and bad apples. It's generally the bad apples that get noticed, unfortunately, because they for some reason yearn for attention. The majority of the population are good, average people who do their jobs well for non-nefarious (or even good/altruistic) reasons.

Don't be part of that minority that gives the majority a bad name and you'll do fine.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6555|England

Adams_BJ wrote:

I like cops I don't know why every dumb person I know hates them. Oh yeah it because they keep getting hastled by them because they act like dickheads.
My dislike of the police doesn't stem from me being hassled by them at all.  I do nothing criminal (well, apart from smoking a bit of pot in my own home, and if I ever get nicked for that it's my own fault) that warrants their attention.  It comes from the few times that my family or myself have needed them.  I won't go into details but they have been of fuck all help or use, and every one of their attitudes has been appalling - they have made it quite clear they don't give a fuck 100% of the time.  So, now I tar them all with the same brush.  From the use they have been to me I begrudge my tax pounds that go to them.  ACAB.
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6751|Great Brown North
it varies

most of the cops that i've met have been fine... but there are assholes everywhere
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.
There are assholees in every profession. That said assholes in the hospitatility or IT industry can't inconveniance and annoy you like a police officer can. I understand the law and I choose not to follow quite a few laws, and if I get caught I won't have a problem with the police as its my own fault. I do generally try to avoid them though.

I don't have a surging hatred for someone who does their job. Its just a shame they can't just do that without all the negative things they're known for.

Last edited by jord (2010-07-20 04:43:34)

jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

it will be what it is
Engineer_Fox
Has a horse outside
+48|5154|Hague City Firm - Holland
I mean I know they are getting paid for what needs to be done but stay the fuck away from what isn't you're goddamn business. If his car is parked that close to mine that I can't drive out, I want to bash both his sideview mirrors off with a lead pipe and be done with it, not that I have 4 'law enforcers' around me with 3 of m behind me..

Edit: Voted Dickheads.

Last edited by Engineer_Fox (2010-07-20 05:40:51)

SamTheMan
­
+341|5112|Stoke, England
alright people. its funny when people say they hate them/they are useless etc etc though
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6555|England
Yeah but it's a bit less funny when they prove themselves to be useless every single time you've had to rely on them for help.  Until I deal with just one copper who has a decent attitude, and who doesn't have some sort of God complex they can all fuck off.  I'm the sort of guy who's side they're supposed to be on, yet every time I've been treated like some sort of inconvenience to them.  This doesn't in any way make me a sympathiser with criminals, quite the opposite.  I just refuse to give any respect (which has to be earned,no?) to an organisation that has repeatedly failed me and who's employees have all spoken down to me like I am a cunt in my own home.  I never had any preconceptions about the Police, it is them themselves that have made me feel this way.
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX

KingCheese wrote:

My dislike of the police doesn't stem from me being hassled by them at all.  I do nothing criminal (well, apart from smoking a bit of pot in my own home, and if I ever get nicked for that it's my own fault) that warrants their attention.  It comes from the few times that my family or myself have needed them.  I won't go into details but they have been of fuck all help or use, and every one of their attitudes has been appalling - they have made it quite clear they don't give a fuck 100% of the time.  So, now I tar them all with the same brush.  From the use they have been to me I begrudge my tax pounds that go to them.  ACAB.
That was my experience also, they're full of themselves when they're swaggering around checking your car tyres, but when it comes to doing any real policing they aren't there, or they're thoroughly corrupt.

Having said that at the low level there are some very good Police, and they do have to deal with scum on a daily basis so their view of the public is very tarnished.
It is the case shit floats to the top, very much so in the Police.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
one's impression of the 'police' as an institution and body of people - or more specifically a body of individual psychologies and personalities - changes somewhat drastically when you engage with them on the sociological basis of 'criminal' or 'arrested individual'. when you're just an innocent member-of-the-public it's not unreasonable to expect common courtesy and good-mannered cheeriness. when you're on the receiving end of their egomaniac power-trips, they treat you in a way that is completely devoid of all common respect and humanity. the victorian disciplinarians would say that's a good thing - but i'm always suspicious of people that routinely dehumanize people via a systematic-process, day-in, day-out.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I've heard a senior Police officer say he saw nothing wrong with 'noble-cause' corruption.

Left unchecked they, as an organisation, come to believe they are a paramilitary force which dispenses justice, not a public service which is one cog in the legal system. You can see it across the world in Police Forces which are left to run free, eg the LAPD.
Seems to be a 'Lord of the Flies' type syndrome which is within a lot of people.

uzique wrote:

when you're just an innocent member-of-the-public it's not unreasonable to expect common courtesy and good-mannered cheeriness
But you're a common pleb, they are the law. They can fit you up in a second and there's nothing you can do about it. Why would they need to show you respect?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-07-20 06:40:12)

loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6549|Columbus, OH
Depends: They maybe jaded because all of the BS they have to deal with on a never-ending battle. I give them respect and understand the position that their in. Not only they have to deal with scum / crime, they have deal with everyone else: the smart-asses, the spoiled kids, self-righteous ass hats, self-important ass hats, the clueless, the maniacs, etc, etc.

Granted, there a few officers who abuse their power but they are eventually weeded out. Unfortunately, those officers will find other towns to work in.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

Dilbert_X wrote:

I've heard a senior Police officer say he saw nothing wrong with 'noble-cause' corruption.

Left unchecked they, as an organisation, come to believe they are a paramilitary force which dispenses justice, not a public service which is one cog in the legal system. You can see it across the world in Police Forces which are left to run free, eg the LAPD.
Seems to be a 'Lord of the Flies' type syndrome which is within a lot of people.

uzique wrote:

when you're just an innocent member-of-the-public it's not unreasonable to expect common courtesy and good-mannered cheeriness
But you're a common pleb, they are the law. They can fit you up in a second and there's nothing you can do about it. Why would they need to show you respect?
if you think the 'common pleb' attitude is a bad one wait until you're actually in their jurisdiction in part of the policing legal process.

they take great pride in treating you as inhumanely and with as little respect as possible.

brutal bastards; control-freaks; aggro/ego-maniacs. if the 'smart' police naturally via some form of darwinian recruitment rise to the top ranks in the offices and boardrooms, then the thug-like morons that just want a taste of state-sanctioned power sure slip right the way to the bottom, all right. they sink like a fucking pack of spanners in the river thames.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
my dads friend is a cop, he usually is behind the desk now, but he's always been cool when he is providing security at events. the only problem i have had with police is their driving. i rarely see one who doesnt drive 10 over the speed limit. other people have said to run through a red light they turns their lights on, i have never seen that though so..
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uzique wrote:

if you think the 'common pleb' attitude is a bad one wait until you're actually in their jurisdiction in part of the policing legal process.
I'm well aware of what the Police can do.
brutal bastards; control-freaks; aggro/ego-maniacs. if the 'smart' police naturally via some form of darwinian recruitment rise to the top ranks in the offices and boardrooms, then the thug-like morons that just want a taste of state-sanctioned power sure slip right the way to the bottom, all right. they sink like a fucking pack of spanners in the river thames.
The dim thugs stay at the bottom, the smart thugs rise to the top.
The honest cops get squeezed in the middle, and mostly squeezed out.
RIP Mate http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -dead.html
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6555|England
I would also stress that my complaints aren't with the likes of the murder squad, vice squad, drug squad or whatever.  I know little about their doings as I've not dealt with them personally, as very few people ever will.  I'm talking about your regular bobby on the beat type copper, who I would have assumed is there to deal with every day type crimes that keep many members of the public living in fear (burglaries, assaults, anti social behaviour etc).  These fellows are the face of law enforcement, yet seem (from my experience) unwilling and unable to do anything helpful.
Is it any surprise that many people have zero faith in the police when they are terrorised by gangs of scumbags on housing estates across the nation,  or assaulted when walking the streets at night and the authorities do nothing?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
tbh it all stems back to my initial observation about there being a motivational psychology behind police-force recruitment...

it attracts a certain sort of person. and that's the certain sort of person i'd rather not associate with.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its a mix of people who want more power than they deserve, people who want to sit in a comfy chair all day, and people who actually want to do good work for the community. Mostly its the first two though.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire

Uzique wrote:

tbh it all stems back to my initial observation about there being a motivational psychology behind police-force recruitment...

it attracts a certain sort of person. and that's the certain sort of person i'd rather not associate with.
yea, soo much worse than druggies who od
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard