Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

Days after the NAACP clashed with Tea Party members over allegations of racism, a video has surfaced showing an Agriculture Department official regaling an NAACP audience with a story about how she withheld help to a white farmer facing bankruptcy -- video that now has forced the official to resign.

Shirley Sherrod, the department's Georgia director of Rural Development, is shown in the clip describing "the first time I was faced with having to help a white farmer save his farm." Sherrod, who is black, claimed the farmer took a long time trying to show he was "superior" to her. The audience laughed as she described how she determined his fate.

"He had to come to me for help. What he didn't know while he was taking all that time trying to show me he was superior to me was I was trying to decide just how much help I was going to give him," she said. "I was struggling with the fact that so many black people have lost their farmland and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land -- so I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough."

The Agriculture Department announced Monday, shortly after FoxNews.com published its initial report on the video, that Sherrod had resigned.

"There is zero tolerance for discrimination at USDA, and I strongly condemn any act of discrimination against any person," Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said in a written statement. "We have been working hard through the past 18 months to reverse the checkered civil rights history at the department and take the issue of fairness and equality very seriously.

Sherrod explained in the video that, at the time, she assumed the state or national Department of Agriculture had referred the white farmer to her. In order to ensure that the farmer could report back that she was indeed helpful, she said she took him to see "one of his own" -- a white lawyer.

"I figured that if I take him to one of them, that his own kind would take care of him," she said.

The point of the story wasn't entirely clear; only an excerpt of the speech is included in the video clip.

"It was revealed to me that it's about poor versus those who have," she said, suggesting she had learned that race is less important.

The video clip was first posted by BigGovernment.com. The clip is dated March 27 from an NAACP Freedom Fund banquet.

The clip adds to the firestorm of debate over the NAACP's decision to approve a resolution at its convention last week accusing some Tea Party activists of racism -- a charge Tea Party leaders deny. FoxNews.com was unable to get a response to this story from the NAACP.

In a second clip from the same event posted online, Sherrod appeared to urge black job seekers to find work at the Department of Agriculture because the federal government won't lay people off.

"There are jobs at USDA and many times there are no people of color to fill those jobs because we shy away from agriculture. We hear the word agriculture and think, why are we working in the fields?" she said. "You've heard of a lot of layoffs. Have you heard of anybody in the federal government losing their job? That's all I need to say."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07 … te-farmer/

Just more confirmation for my long held beliefs (based on personal experience) that black people are far more racist than white people here in America. Thank you JFK for saddling us with EO. Hope you're burning in your own Catholic hell.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS
I can only assume that by Equal Opportunity w/ capitals you're not talking about the general concept but rather some government program like affirmative action?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spark wrote:

I can only assume that by Equal Opportunity w/ capitals you're not talking about the general concept but rather some government program like affirmative action?
Yes, EO and AA are synonymous.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Still, I somehow doubt black farmers got a fair hearing when the boot was on the other foot.
What goes around comes around, get used to it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina
The Department of Agriculture should be slimmed down to just a regulatory agency.  If you can't support your own farm, don't come begging to the government.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6547|San Diego, CA, USA
They should rename themselves to NAALCP (National Association of the Advacement of Liberial Colored People).

Its never been about equal opportunity, its about getting a greater share of the pie without having to expel the same effort.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

Harmor wrote:

They should rename themselves to NAALCP (National Association of the Advacement of Liberial Colored People).

Its never been about equal opportunity, its about getting a greater share of the pie without having to expel the same effort.
And old white Republicans are different how?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom
people who went to public universities shouldnt complain so much about leeching from the government
Tu Stultus Es
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6528|Global Command
JFK was the last real president we had.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

ATG wrote:

JFK was the last real president we had.
Sure, if you believe propaganda.
-Frederick Bastiat
ATG
Banned
On June 4, 1963, a virtually unknown Presidential decree, Executive Order 11110, was signed with the authority to basically strip the Federal Reserve Bank of its power to loan money to the United States Federal Government at interest. With the stroke of a pen, President Kennedy declared that the privately owned Federal Reserve Bank would soon be out of business.

Funny, that is still law.
Funny it was never enforced.
Funny The Feds killed him for it.

So, who bought the propaganda?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

ATG wrote:

On June 4, 1963, a virtually unknown Presidential decree, Executive Order 11110, was signed with the authority to basically strip the Federal Reserve Bank of its power to loan money to the United States Federal Government at interest. With the stroke of a pen, President Kennedy declared that the privately owned Federal Reserve Bank would soon be out of business.

When you loan the gov at an interest (and other banks too...) it creates inflation. Why should the gov be so special and not take loans with interest? IMF and World Bank gives out loans with interest too.

Edit: And JFK almost caused the world to go poof with Bay of Pigs. He fucked up big time.

Last edited by Cybargs (2010-07-19 20:22:55)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

ATG wrote:

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/libr … cument=541

Establishing The President’s Committee On Equal Employment Opportunity
SUBPART A-CONTRACTORS’ AGREEMENTS
SUBPART B-LABOR UNIONS AND REPRESENTATIVES OF WORKERS SEC. 304.
SUBPART C-POWERS AND DUTIES OF THE PRESIDENTS COMMITTEE ON EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND OF CONTRACTING AGENCIES

With the stroke of his pen he gave us EO and unionized Federal employees. The latter has done more to land us in our current fiscal mess than anything else.

Keep believing in Camelot though.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-07-19 20:22:50)

-Frederick Bastiat
ATG
Banned
I never claimed to be a JFK expert.
Camelot was bs. He was a whoring stud.

All I am saying is that all presidents after are douche bags. All of them.
Especially the one we have now and the last one. I never thought I would miss Bill Clinton, but I do.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6496

i thought Nixon did a good thing, getting us out of vietnam. too bad he sent amatuers instead of the pros he had working for him, to that DC hotel . . .
ATG
Banned
Didn't Nixon take us off the gold standard and try to institute a national health care system, just like we have today?

=suck
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
yeah nixon did an amazing thing with the whole millions-dead in cambodia and blaming it on the khmer rouge...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

ATG wrote:

Didn't Nixon take us off the gold standard and try to institute a national health care system, just like we have today?

=suck
No Nixon went to the private option when he consulted the RAND corporation. He did establish Medicare to make old people happy.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Though it doesn't discount her previous statements, for which she should lose her job, she seems to be going towards making a Marxist point about class struggle and division before the video cuts her off. I would love to see the rest of her little speech.
ATG
Banned

Uzique wrote:

yeah nixon did an amazing thing with the whole millions-dead in cambodia and blaming it on the khmer rouge...
Must you???
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

ATG wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Must you???
yes, i must.

bombing of civilians and causing agricultural famine-disasters and economic-infrastructural collapse, then resulting in millions of deaths...

is a point one 'must' feel obliged to raise against any nominations for a 'greatest president' competition.

fuck nixon. paranoid, insane, evil little man.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
ATG
Banned
So that whole ' Killing Fields ' thing didn't happen then. Good to know.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

Pol Pot was a saint.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
of course it did... no one denied that.

you're the second american in as many days that has performed that surprising turn of logic:

'partly blaming america or mentioning america's involvement in an event' --> === 'blame america entirely and pardon all other parties!'

im just saying nixon was a fucking crook; that statement doesn't raise pol-pot to god status.
ATG
Banned
No, but you blamed the millions of dead in Cambodia on Nixon without mentioning Pol Pot, which is trolling 101.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard