psychotoxic187
+11|6709
Is anyone here using the Creative X-Fi series? If so, then how do you like it, and how well does it perform? I'm planning on ordering the X-FI Fatality card.
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6821
I have the base model
I love it but have not done any fps comparison of before and after (I can say that my PC is the same or faster than before so I am happy)
Overall sound quality is excellent
Excellent with speakers and very good with headphones.
There have been some issues with X-Fi and BF2 re: lagging when you have Ultra setting and you get a lot of sounds at one time (ie - lots of action plus beside an acustically reflective wall) - I have not had these problems as of yet.

I play support with the PKM a lot - first time I played with new sound card the action was limited so I was on the map for about 3 minutes before I saw an enemy - went prone - fired the PKM - jumped out of my seat because the sound was so different from my on board card - just freaked me out.

There are lots of reviews out there and I know you have probably already read most  so I will not provide any links.

Leather
psychotoxic187
+11|6709
Yeah, Ive read reviews, but they usually don't display real world problems that people have. I have an Audigy 2ZS and it gives me so many problems it's not even funny. I have to run it on hardware at medium, or it will freeze up on me. Thanks for the info though.
harleyds
+0|6678

psychotoxic187 wrote:

Is anyone here using the Creative X-Fi series? If so, then how do you like it, and how well does it perform? I'm planning on ordering the X-FI Fatality card.
It really depends on what you are currently using for sound right now. On my old system, adding the X-Fi was like night and day.  I wasn't hearing things like "First-Aid Here" or "Need Ammo".  I would see it on the screen, but I would never hear it.  Nor would I hear things like "Grenade" or "Fire in the Hole".

After the X-Fi went it, my speakers got alot busier giving me more sounds and game effects.  It really helped unload some of the processing that my CPU could not handle.  It was a P4 2.0 Ghz PC with 1 GB of Ram.

Now that I bought a new system, I do not see a difference in the sound and may consider selling it off. My new system is a AMD 64 X2 3800+ and I now have 2 GB of Ram running on a ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe.

Basically, if you have a low end system and you don't hear the sounds I mentioned above, You would benefit from getting the card. Otherwise, I would save your money.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard