Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6556|San Diego, CA, USA

Turquoise wrote:

Donald Trump's appeal is that he's independently wealthy, which can be a plus in terms of vested interests.  In that respect, I can relate to your supposition.
What about the Governor of New Jersey, Chris Christie?

https://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5829/govchristie.jpg

I've heard good things about him.  And he appears not be to beholden to special interests.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6413|North Carolina

LividBovine wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Another advantage would involve splitting up the U.S., but again, I know that isn't going to happen.
Isn't it already split up into 50 parts.  Just sayin.
True, but I still wonder what the point of these divisions are if we're all still subject to the same federal government.  It's a quasi-separation that seems to result in a lot of sectionalist agendas.
Turquoise
O Canada

Harmor wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Donald Trump's appeal is that he's independently wealthy, which can be a plus in terms of vested interests.  In that respect, I can relate to your supposition.
What about the Governor of New Jersey, Chris Christie?

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5829/govchristie.jpg

I've heard good things about him.  And he appears not be to beholden to special interests.
In 1998 Christie registered as a lobbyist for the firm of Dughi, Hewit & Palatucci, alongside fellow partner and later, gubernatorial campaign fundraiser Bill Palatucci. Between 1999 and 2001, Christie and Palatucci lobbied on behalf of, among others, GPU Energy for deregulation of New Jersey's electric and gas industry; the Securities Industry Association to block the inclusion of securities fraud under the state's Consumer Fraud Act; Hackensack University Medical Center for state grants, and the University of Phoenix for a New Jersey higher education license.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Christie

I'm not saying this is unusual for a politician, but it's certainly not something that implies he is above special interests.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6419|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

The problem in my mind concerning the presidency is that the U.S. is just too big.  We have too much power and wealth consolidated under one government.  I think we'd be better off if we split into about 6 pieces or so.
Essentially, what you're arguing for is more Federal power/resources going back to the States. The US doesn't have to split apart...it just has to go back to its Constitutional roots.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Turquoise
O Canada

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

The problem in my mind concerning the presidency is that the U.S. is just too big.  We have too much power and wealth consolidated under one government.  I think we'd be better off if we split into about 6 pieces or so.
Essentially, what you're arguing for is more Federal power/resources going back to the States. The US doesn't have to split apart...it just has to go back to its Constitutional roots.
That still doesn't resolve the fact that anyone who gets elected to the presidency is able to push sectionalist agendas that benefit their home state at the expense of the rest of the country.  It seems to happen with every administration.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6419|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

That still doesn't resolve the fact that anyone who gets elected to the presidency is able to push sectionalist agendas that benefit their home state at the expense of the rest of the country.  It seems to happen with every administration.
I don't think the President can do that. That's the benefit of checks and balances, even with the same party controlling the Legislative Branch. If the President's agenda would impact their home constituency negatively, they would fight it because it would impact their re-election chances.

Now, that's not to say the President wouldn't push an agenda that would benefit regions that leaned his/her way in the election to the detriment of regions that didn't...particularly if the Congressional delegation is from the opposition party. I think many of the "red" states with Republican delegations are seeing that today (hello Chicago-style politics).
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6387|MN

Turquoise wrote:

LividBovine wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Another advantage would involve splitting up the U.S., but again, I know that isn't going to happen.
Isn't it already split up into 50 parts.  Just sayin.
True, but I still wonder what the point of these divisions are if we're all still subject to the same federal government.  It's a quasi-separation that seems to result in a lot of sectionalist agendas.

FEOS wrote:

...it just has to go back to its Constitutional roots.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
oChaos.Haze
+90|6446

JohnG@lt wrote:

Yes, voting for a guy who ran on a platform of Christian Values, cheated on his wife while in office and who was forced to resign his seat in the House (while Speaker no less) is someone definitely worthy of your vote. Once again Harmor, you've shown an inability to do anything more than read headlines and be led to the opinion others want you to have.
Let Newt run, it would be the worst ass whooping they've ever suffered. 

Divorced his first wife while she was recovering from cancer surgery, dick move one.  Remarried in 6 months, dick move 2 or .5 if you, like I, have a suspicion that that relationship was ongoing before his divorce.  Cheats on post cancer wife, dick move 3. 

Say what you want, but the way McCain handled his love life absolutely hurt his ethos.  I know of 4 or 5 people who could just NOT get past how he treated his first wife, to "move up" to his 2nd, and they hatedddddddddd Obama.  The result?  They stayed home on election day. 

WAAAAY too much fodder for pundits.  He'd lose by the first debate...

Last edited by oChaos.Haze (2010-08-19 00:39:39)

Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6556|San Diego, CA, USA
https://img696.imageshack.us/img696/666/c0d0a1a8b23a4c3e8297c3d.jpg
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6476
What exactly does she approve of?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard