Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6546|San Diego, CA, USA
https://img375.imageshack.us/img375/1769/apnewtgingrich100712mn.jpg

ABC News wrote:

Former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Monday he's seriously considering seeking the Republican presidential nomination and will announce his decision early next year.

Gingrich, 67, told The Associated Press that he would focus on helping Republican candidates through the midterm elections in November, then decide in February or March whether to seek the GOP nomination.

"I've never been this serious," Gingrich said.

"It's fair to say that by February the groundwork will have been laid to consider seriously whether or not to run," he said.
Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=11144713

via http://www.drudgereport.com/

---

Well he's definitely a Conservative.  I would vote for him over Romney.  If Obama keeps screwing the pooch then all Gingrich needs to do is speak the truth on Obama's record.

Although I'm sure Obama will just blame Republicans on his failures to turn the economy around...

Do you think he'll decide to run in February?

EDIT: But Governor Christi, now there's a guy I could get behind: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/12/nyreg … istie.html

Last edited by Harmor (2010-07-12 19:36:56)

krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6778|Great Brown North

Harmor wrote:

Although I'm sure Obama will just blame Republicans on his failures to turn the economy around...
isnt that what everyone does anyway?

Last edited by krazed (2010-07-12 21:28:46)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
Yes, voting for a guy who ran on a platform of Christian Values, cheated on his wife while in office and who was forced to resign his seat in the House (while Speaker no less) is someone definitely worthy of your vote. Once again Harmor, you've shown an inability to do anything more than read headlines and be led to the opinion others want you to have.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
If Obama keeps screwing the pooch then all Gingrich needs to do is speak the truth on Obama's record.
No need to worry if he has a better plan, all a President needs to do is bad-mouth the other side and play golf amirite?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina

JohnG@lt wrote:

Yes, voting for a guy who ran on a platform of Christian Values, cheated on his wife while in office and who was forced to resign his seat in the House (while Speaker no less) is someone definitely worthy of your vote. Once again Harmor, you've shown an inability to do anything more than read headlines and be led to the opinion others want you to have.
Yeah, I think Gingrich has enough stains on his record to make him a very unappealing candidate.  He might be able to be a running mate, but the primary GOP candidate had better be someone else.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6322|New Haven, CT
No.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

If Obama keeps screwing the pooch then all Gingrich needs to do is speak the truth on Obama's record.
No need to worry if he has a better plan, all a President needs to do is bad-mouth the other side and speak from a teleprompter?
fixed for trufiness
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Reciprocity
+721|6579|the dank(super) side of Oregon
lol, Tom DeLay could be his running mate.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Reciprocity wrote:

lol, Tom DeLay could be his running mate.
Winner winner, chicken dinner. They should make it a bipartisan showing and have John Edwards on their platform as Secretary of State.
-Frederick Bastiat
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

JohnG@lt wrote:

...cheated on his wife while in office...
That's a big one against him...especially for Social Conservatives.  He would definably make a good Secretary of State.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Harmor wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

That's a big one against him...especially for Social Conservatives.  He would definably make a good Secretary of State.
At this point he needs to just fade back into obscurity and stay there. He's as likely to win an election as Karl Rove or Dick Cheney.
-Frederick Bastiat
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

JohnG@lt wrote:

Harmor wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

At this point he needs to just fade back into obscurity and stay there. He's as likely to win an election as Karl Rove or Dick Cheney.
What's wrong with Karl Rove and Dick Cheney?  I would vote for either of them over what we have now with Marxist Obama.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Harmor wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Harmor wrote:

What's wrong with Karl Rove and Dick Cheney?  I would vote for either of them over what we have now with Marxist Obama.
Because the only people they appeal to are people like you. You're a wingnut and wingnuts don't win elections.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

Harmor wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Uh...  you might, but not many moderates would.  If you lose the middle, you lose the election.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

Harmor wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Uh...  you might, but not many moderates would.  If you lose the middle, you lose the election.
But they must purify their party... can't have those damn RINO's going off message. Let's make them all sign a letter agreeing to only have the thoughts we have listed down here on this paper...

Ideological purity is the surest way for the Republican Party to fade away into obscurity during our lifetimes.
-Frederick Bastiat
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
You're right.  But do you really need to be "middle of the road" wishy washy?  Look at Governor Christe in New Jersey...he's a bonafide Conservative and doesn't hide it.

Maybe we just need someone with clear convictions?
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

JohnG@lt wrote:

Ideological purity is the surest way for the Republican Party to fade away into obscurity during our lifetimes.
Isn't that what your side wants?  I would think you would be encouraging us to stand on Conservative principles so we could be defeated in every election?
Reciprocity
+721|6579|the dank(super) side of Oregon
If palin runs conservatives don't stand a chance.  That dumb beaver will ruin your ticket.
Turquoise
O Canada

Harmor wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Isn't that what your side wants?  I would think you would be encouraging us to stand on Conservative principles so we could be defeated in every election?
I can't speak for John, but I think you'll find that if the GOP was a little more moderate on social stances but more fiscally conservative, they'd bring in more of the middle.

It's the far right social stances that scare off the middle usually.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-07-12 22:23:23)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Harmor wrote:

You're right.  But do you really need to be "middle of the road" wishy washy?  Look at Governor Christe in New Jersey...he's a bonafide Conservative and doesn't hide it.

No, what you need is to drop the fucking Christian Values pretense and stop pandering to people who are intellectually stunted. The Republican Party has become a backwoods party for Midwesterners and Southerners who want to wave their flags and who feel the only book that a person needs to read in his lifetime is the Bible. That's your base.

You don't need ideological purity, you need people like William F Buckley who could actually hold an intelligent conversation and get his point across without resorting to name calling and pandering to the lowest common societal denominator. The Republicans don't have anyone in office today that seems to be able to go toe-to-toe intellectually with Barack Obama and that's completely fucking sad.
-Frederick Bastiat
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

Reciprocity wrote:

If palin runs conservatives don't stand a chance.  That dumb beaver will ruin your ticket.
She's definiately the darling of the Republican party.  The Tea Party is behind her.  She has name recognition.  If you're against Republicans shouldn't you be rooting for us to choose the "dumb beaver" instead?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

Harmor wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I can't speak for John, but I think you'll find that if the GOP was a little more moderate on social stances but more fiscally conservative, they'd bring in more of the middle.

It's the far right social stances that scare off the middle usually.
Yep, this is where I'm at.

And Harmor, I keep telling you I have no side. Did you really believe Bush when he said "if you're not with us you're against us"? The world isn't black and white and it assuredly isn't Democrat vs Republican. Most people happen to be independents.
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

Harmor wrote:

No, what you need is to drop the fucking Christian Values pretense and stop pandering to people who are intellectually stunted. The Republican Party has become a backwoods party for Midwesterners and Southerners who want to wave their flags and who feel the only book that a person needs to read in his lifetime is the Bible. That's your base.

You don't need ideological purity, you need people like William F Buckley who could actually hold an intelligent conversation and get his point across without resorting to name calling and pandering to the lowest common societal denominator. The Republicans don't have anyone in office today that seems to be able to go toe-to-toe intellectually with Barack Obama and that's completely fucking sad.
+
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

JohnG@lt wrote:

...The Republicans don't have anyone in office today that seems to be able to go toe-to-toe intellectually with Barack Obama and that's completely fucking sad.
I believe Newt can.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Harmor wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

She's definiately the darling of the Republican party.  The Tea Party is behind her.  She has name recognition.  If you're against Republicans shouldn't you be rooting for us to choose the "dumb beaver" instead?
No, I want Obama out of office as much as anyone else but if Palin was put up against him I would vote for Obama.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard