Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6443|6 6 4 oh, I forget

So the place I live at had a lil renovating last fall since the underground drains were built wrong in the first place. The terrace had to be taken apart since the drains came directly underneath it. The old terrace was not that practical and it was a bit tight for all the outdoor fürni. Here's what it looks atm. I'm thinking something like making it as wide as the wall itself with a lower area left from the rain gutter. This way I'd get my table set down there and the bbq upstairs under the roof. Plus some sort of fence blocking the view for the jealous neighbours on the upper level too, so I can chill out after sauna on my comfy sofa type of chairs.

Shop your groovy ideas on these pics (I'll try to make one of that nonsense above ). Sry about the bright lighting, I'm still kinda n00b with daylight photos. Feel free to edit those pics in any way you want.

https://img686.imageshack.us/img686/7315/img6587y.th.jpg

https://img576.imageshack.us/img576/2057/img6588j.th.jpg
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
What's glory's exchange rate, these days?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

Get a duck pond.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Ultrafunkula

FFLink wrote:

What's glory's exchange rate, these days?
Hmm. Let's throw a bone in the game. If I get a seriously good idea and a shop that will be used, I'll buy the winner a Grand theft Auto of their choosing from Steam. How does that sound? And a few karmaz.

AussieReaper wrote:

Get a duck pond.
Nein. That goes for all sorts of fountains and other water hazards too
Ultrafunkula

L337 paint skills.

So what I was thinking is something like this and some stairs on the left side. What kinda fences would look good? Been googling but I haven't found a perfect one yet. Since I want some cover for the upper level, would it look stupid if the lower level would have a different fence or should I leave it open?

https://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3369/terassivol1.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
There seem to be a TV, hot tub and beer fridge missing from your design.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Ultrafunkula

TV's inside and the fridge (currently filled with cold beer) is 8 feet from the door. A tub wouldn't be that much of a private thingy, since there are neighbours in every direction when seen from the terrace. Besides it would cost waaay too much to warm up and so on.

Actually one of the apartments had a hot tub integrated in the terrace. Owners took it with them when they moved

Prolly gonna get one of those boiler warmed ones at the summer house when I get the old man talked to his senses
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Ultrafunkula wrote:

TV's inside and the fridge (currently filled with cold beer) is 8 feet from the door. A tub wouldn't be that much of a private thingy, since there are neighbours in every direction when seen from the terrace. Besides it would cost waaay too much to warm up and so on.

Actually one of the apartments had a hot tub integrated in the terrace. Owners took it with them when they moved

Prolly gonna get one of those boiler warmed ones at the summer house when I get the old man talked to his senses
Like your thinking, you seem to have most of it planned pretty well.

One point, as soon as you get in the tub all the neighbours go inside.
At least, thats my experience.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-07-05 06:59:13)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Ultrafunkula

Added gravel for looks and such.

https://img51.imageshack.us/img51/2151/terassivol11.jpg
tuckergustav
+1,590|5883|...

What are the dimensions?
Ultrafunkula

tuckergustav wrote:

What are the dimensions?
Depth 290cm / 114.2 in
Lower level width 350cm / 137.8 in
Upper level width 390cm / 153.5 in
Height from grass to upper level 85cm / 33.5 in
Height from upper level to current fence top 112cm / 44.1 in
tuckergustav
+1,590|5883|...

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/32729/funkterrace.JPG

Just to show you that I think the lower part should be larger.  It will give you more lounging room and makes it look a bit more dynamic.
Ultrafunkula

Interesting idea. Thanks!
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6711

I think you should do something similar, but not exact to tuckers. I feel that you should have a one step drop from the back door to the first level of decking. The decking would have a nice dark wood, and a matching railing along the southern edge. To the west, there would be either one or two steps the entire way, leading to the second section. This section is at ground level and is bigger in length than the first. This will allow for more room to move, especcially with a table. Leading from this second section could be a concrete path leading somewhere (I'm not really sure about this). Alongside this concrete path would be plants, as well as along the southern edge of the ground level section. As for the front side of the raised section (the side you can't see in my picture), a nice looking lattice would go well, and in front of it some bark and plants.

I guess this is what it would look like, forgive my inability to shop things
https://img824.imageshack.us/img824/1346/29872677.jpg

I think the railing should be in this style, although a different colour.
https://texas-construction-remodeling-decks.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Stained_Cedar_Deck.232205513_std.jpg

Last edited by Jestar (2010-07-05 09:22:03)

Ultrafunkula

Jestar wrote:

I think you should do something similar, but not exact to tuckers. I feel that you should have a one step drop from the back door to the first level of decking. The decking would have a nice dark wood, and a matching railing along the southern edge. To the west, there would be either one or two steps the entire way, leading to the second section. This section is at ground level and is bigger in length than the first. This will allow for more room to move, especcially with a table. Leading from this second section could be a concrete path leading somewhere (I'm not really sure about this). Alongside this concrete path would be plants, as well as along the southern edge of the ground level section. As for the front side of the raised section (the side you can't see in my picture), a nice looking lattice would go well, and in front of it some bark and plants.

I guess this is what it would look like, forgive my inability to shop things
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/1346/29872677.jpg

I think the railing should be in this style, although a different colour.
http://texas-construction-remodeling-de … 13_std.jpg
Thanks for the input! Unfortunately the drop is a no go. The skeleton of the terrace is steady and good built. I'm not going to remake it since it's one big piece. It would take too much time and money. The wide stairs to the bottom level was a thought, but the rain gutter is a head hurting device at its finest, so the stairs need to be a bit more narrow. One reason for that is that there must be access beneath the terrace for possible maintenance. There are also similar air vents under the current part as the ones that are visible on the left side. Some sort of plants could be good. I already have 3 of these shown below on the yard. They could replace the lower part fence, no? They don't require watering and they survive fine by themselves anyways and look nice. I'll post a pic of the rest of the yard tomorrow so you'll see what the rest keeps hidden. A path would be a nice idea... but... them 3 are in front of the back exit so that's a no go too Those are btw about 6 ft tall that I have on my yard.

https://www.viherlandia.fi/images.php?mode=display_image&image_id=2417

ed. Oh, and concrete is a big no-no. The ground goes below zero celcius during the winter. It WILL fuck up the yard if there's no structure on it.

Last edited by Ultrafunkula (2010-07-05 12:26:53)

Lai
+186|6121
When I build my terrace (old bricks, hardcore ), I fashioned the entrance like the stylobate of a Grrek temple.

Cons:
- Simply not the most effective use of space

Pro's:
- Stylish
- Makes your terrace look bigger
- Very natural elevation differences (unlike stairs or a slope)
- Enough space for a full size doormat in front of your door, to leave Jehova's witnesses waiting on.

I'll post the design tomorrow or so and I might have another idea too.
Ultrafunkula

Oh, right the garden photo. Brb.
Ultrafunkula

There. It's a small area so not much can be done. Don't want any plants or flowers since there's no one living in this place who has the time or the interest of watering or doing anything else to them for that matter.

https://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1769/img6589l.th.jpg
JahManRed
wank
+646|6598|IRELAND

I know you dont want to step it down. But you really should. Make it 100% more usable. Or step it up right accross the back of the house. Then maybe 3 steps down onto a second deck level.

Pesonally Id step down from the back door to just above ground level as soon as you come out the back door. That way you are bellow the boundary fence much quicker and lower and better privicy.

If you do it this way. You could in the future put two posts in and extend the portch overhang on your roof further down onto the goal posts to cover more of the deck. Looks like you could actually go bellow the window level. You would shade the window tho. But you could fix that by putting in a rooflight where the wall meets roof (soffit). Or do the new projection in self cleaning plexi glass.
Ultrafunkula

Thanks for the input!

I don't want to and I'm not going to. As I said, it's way too much work and it costs too much since I'm not going to live here forever. Actually the higher it is, the more privacy I have from the neighbours across the yard. The building across the yard is higher than this one. Besides when it's in level you can just walk out instead of stepping down. I perfer this option. What do you mean by 100% more usable?

Last edited by Ultrafunkula (2010-07-06 12:18:57)

JahManRed
wank
+646|6598|IRELAND

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Thanks for the input!

I don't want to and I'm not going to. As I said, it's way too much work and it costs too much since I'm not going to live here forever. Actually the higher it is, the more privacy I have from the neighbours across the yard. The building across the yard is higher than this one. Besides when it's in level you can just walk out instead of stepping down. I perfer this option. What do you mean by 100% more usable?
By getting everything on the same level. (lift the deck up to door threshold height) instead of having two spaces at different levels its all on the same level. So becomes more usable. Uniting the space. You could then run 2/3 steps the full length of the deck (or have a narrow step and a drop to each side) and come down onto a new deck at a lower level.
Ultrafunkula

JahManRed wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Thanks for the input!

By getting everything on the same level. (lift the deck up to door threshold height) instead of having two spaces at different levels its all on the same level. So becomes more usable. Uniting the space. You could then run 2/3 steps the full length of the deck (or have a narrow step and a drop to each side) and come down onto a new deck at a lower level.
Oh that way. Some of the neighbours have done that. Would be a great option, but it would get the pricetag up. Oh, and one thing that doesn't probably show in the images is a drain shaft just under the left side windows. I have to make easy maintenance access to that one too, so it can't be of medium height.

Well crap. Thinking of this, there seems to be only few options due to me being stingy on this project. But anyhoo, keep those good ideas coming! Even if I, unfortunately, have to say no to quite a lot of them
pace51
Boom?
+194|5143|Markham, Ontario
A few shrubs along the terrace would look nice. Or, maybe an extended patio that sloops a little, and estends into the middle of your yard. Would be great for dinner parties or barbecuing and chatting with buds.
Lai
+186|6121
Made some l33t scheme for ya. Can't access files now (on Uni PC). Will upload tomorrow morning.
Ultrafunkula

Oo, nice. The construction might start on thursday. Got a couple days of hack n' slash between footy games.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard