KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

I'm 29 years old and I've been battling depression for the last few weeks.  I love life, I make good money, I can't really complain about anything socially or superficially but I feel like there's no future to the way I live.  I work very hard, I take pride in what I do but I feel like I'm at an end.  I am constantly disappointed with the peer interaction that I have.  I work harder than my coworkers, I care more than they do (generally speaking) about my work and the overall direction of the company I work for, I put in time and effort but I am constantly put off by the lack of effort from everyone else.  I have been working at my company for a little over 2 years and I have had 3 raises - but I don't care about that as much as I care that most of my peers don't give a fuck about what they are doing.  I can't stand seeing and being around people that are ok with just doing enough to get by.  It fucking eats at me every day. 

Please prebuscent internet oracle, give me some transcendental advice.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5695|College Park, MD
Start a business
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Reciprocity
+721|6573|the dank(super) side of Oregon
Do your bosses know you're better than your peers?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
go back to school
Tu Stultus Es
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6099|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I'm 29 years old and I've been battling depression for the last few weeks.  I love life, I make good money, I can't really complain about anything socially or superficially but I feel like there's no future to the way I live.  I work very hard, I take pride in what I do but I feel like I'm at an end.  I am constantly disappointed with the peer interaction that I have.  I work harder than my coworkers, I care more than they do (generally speaking) about my work and the overall direction of the company I work for, I put in time and effort but I am constantly put off by the lack of effort from everyone else.  I have been working at my company for a little over 2 years and I have had 3 raises - but I don't care about that as much as I care that most of my peers don't give a fuck about what they are doing.  I can't stand seeing and being around people that are ok with just doing enough to get by.  It fucking eats at me every day. 

Please prebuscent internet oracle, give me some transcendental advice.
Watch out for burnout - I've about had it.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-06-30 22:13:25)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6541|San Diego, CA, USA

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Start a business
...and fire anyone who doesn't care as much as you do.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

Harmor wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Start a business
...and fire anyone who doesn't care as much as you do.
yes of course i have the desire to be my own boss - if that is not the quintessential cliche american dream it is at least something that lurks on the backburner of any motivated person, for sure.  but this is something beyond self motivation or preservation.  It is a desire to see fellow man have the same motivation or at least yearning for something...more.  I'm just looking for more introspection into life that maybe people who have been through those experiences can offer me.  It seems silly to ask here but I think you have to glean information from any and every resource you can
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It fucking eats at me every day.
Work out why.

Does it affect your work output, quality of work?
If it doesn't forget it.

If it does either deal with it through mgmt or find some other outlet for your creativity and effort (and kick the cat to disperse your rage )

Or find something else to do.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6638
do something you like! something will come out of it..
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5695|College Park, MD
Look at your fellow man's laziness and see it as something that makes you a better person.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6522|Global Command
What you are describing Ken is thed massive suck factor in much of the California work force.

It is a large factor in why I have mostly abandoned the notion of running a business there.

Remember strryker?  God bless him,c but he came in to meet me regarding employement and it was " I have other priorities besides work " from hello.

The biggest impediment to growing a business ( pre-crash ) has always been being able to hire good people.

Which is why amnesty, or immigvration reform combined with border secujrity is key to our survival as a nation.
Reciprocity
+721|6573|the dank(super) side of Oregon

ATG wrote:

What you are describing Ken is thed massive suck factor in much of the California work force.

It is a large factor in why I have mostly abandoned the notion of running a business there.

Remember strryker?  God bless him,c but he came in to meet me regarding employement and it was " I have other priorities besides work " from hello.

The biggest impediment to growing a business ( pre-crash ) has always been being able to hire good people.

Which is why amnesty, or immigvration reform combined with border secujrity is key to our survival as a nation.
Hire me.  I'll rob you blind, but I'll speak english while I do it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

ATG wrote:

I've written before, people seem to think paying them to sit on their bums planning their social life is a business priority.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5171|Sydney
What kind of work do you do?

It sounds like if it's not the workplace, then perhaps it's the work itself.

As my example, I used to work in hospitality (5 star hotel concierge) and would get so frustrated at the lack of professionalism in some of my co-workers. I now work in mental health and in an area I feel a lot more passionate about and have been lucky to find like minded people in the workplace who give it their all too.

Long story short some fields of work like hospitality are pursued by people looking for short term income, that's why there's such a high staff turnover. Otherwise you may need to be looking for a better position in another company. It's hard to comment on this without knowing more about what you do.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Maybe don't worry about the douchebags, let them bob around in your wake?

If you can develop a good personal reputation when it comes time for a promotion or change of company it'll be a cinch.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6768|Moscow, Russia
i had all kinds of different jobs at a number of different companies and the only thing i can really say you already put in the subject, KJ - Work Sucks. the biggest bullshit your propaganda is selling you is that work can somehow be enjoyable. give up, start being honest with yourself and stop looking for that bloody black cat in a dark room - it's not even there.

Last edited by Shahter (2010-07-01 02:53:36)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6803|Nårvei

^^ I call BS on that statement.

Work can very well be enjoyable ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney
I'm at work right now and I enjoy it, certainly more than not. I've had this job for over 18 months now.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6759|UK
Work is very enjoyable for me.

But I can see lots of jobs being very boring, try looking for a job at another company that has a good reputation for what its work conditions and job satisfaction perhaps?
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6768|Moscow, Russia
you may keep deluding yourself, gents, or you may as well accept the obvious: nobody, i repeat, nobody would work at the opportunity not to. anybody who tells you otherwise is brainwashed, pushig hidden agenda, or a big phat hypocrite. the examples are all over.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6803|Nårvei

Shahter wrote:

you may keep deluding yourself, gents, or you may as well accept the obvious: nobody, i repeat, nobody would work at the opportunity not to. anybody who tells you otherwise is brainwashed, pushig hidden agenda, or a big phat hypocrite. the examples are all over.
So my feeling of enjoying my work is not true ... I actually hate my work but am brainwashed into believing it is enjoyable?
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney
You're speaking for yourself, and projecting those beliefs onto others. Tut tut.

I've had long periods without a job. If I won a million dollars tomorrow, I'd still keep working. I enjoy my work, I feel good when I arrive and when I leave. I like the feeling of being productive with my time as it makes the free time I have more enjoyable, more worthwhile.

Call it delusion if you want, I call it a feeling of satisfied balance between my work and leisure lifestyle.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6768|Moscow, Russia

Varegg wrote:

Shahter wrote:

So my feeling of enjoying my work is not true ... I actually hate my work but am brainwashed into believing it is enjoyable?
yes.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6768|Moscow, Russia

Jaekus wrote:

You're speaking for yourself, and projecting those beliefs onto others. Tut tut.

I've had long periods without a job. If I won a million dollars tomorrow, I'd still keep working. I enjoy my work, I feel good when I arrive and when I leave. I like the feeling of being productive with my time as it makes the free time I have more enjoyable, more worthwhile.

Call it delusion if you want, I call it a feeling of satisfied balance between my work and leisure lifestyle.
i'm not projecting any beleafs, i'm stating an opinion. maybe i worded it badly. maybe. but tell me - how exactly your feeling of being productive is tied to your work? wouldn't you be able to find stuff to do without selling your abilities and time to some company?
jord
+2,382|6671|The North, beyond the wall.
Well I don't think I'd work where I to win the lottery, but then again I've never had a good job or something I loved doing. There probably are lots of people that would continue to work even if they could live comfortably without going to work. People in power, people whose job they enjoy (Footballers, pilots, doctors, Veternarians, Astronauts, CEO's, etc) wouldn't give their work up until they had to.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard