xstax981
Community Modder
+93|6675
On Saturday, an undercover FBI agent in New York and another in Washington, both posing as Russian agents, met with two of the defendants, Anna Chapman at a New York restaurant and Mikhail Semenko on a Washington street corner blocks from the White House. The FBI undercover agents gave each an espionage-related delivery to make. Court papers indicated Semenko made the delivery as instructed, but apparently Chapman did not.

The court papers cited numerous communications intercepted by the FBI that spelled out what information was sought.

The timing of the arrests was notable given the efforts by Presidents Barack Obama and Dmitry Medvedev to "reset" U.S.-Russia relations. The two leaders met last week at the White House after Medvedev visited high-tech firms in California's Silicon Valley, and both attended the G-8, G-20 meetings over the weekend in Canada.

Intelligence on Obama's foreign policy, particularly toward Russia, appears to have been a top priority.

In spring 2009, the documents say, alleged conspirators, Richard and Cynthia Murphy, who lived in New Jersey, were asked for information about Obama's impending trip to Russia that summer, the U.S. negotiating position on the START arms reduction treaty as well as Afghanistan and the approach Washington would take in dealing with Iran's suspect nuclear program, the documents said. They were also asked to send background on U.S. officials traveling with Obama or involved in foreign policy.

"Try to outline their views and most important Obama's goals (sic) which he expects to achieve during summit in July and how does his team plan to do it (arguments, provisions, means of persuasion to 'lure' (Russia) into cooperation in US interests," Moscow asked.

Moscow wanted reports "which should reflect approaches and ideas of" four sub-Cabinet U.S. foreign policy officials.

One intercepted message said Cynthia Murphy, "had several work-related personal meetings with" a man the court papers describe as a prominent New York-based financier active in politics.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_doj_russia_arrests

I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of why Russia still has spies here if we "reset" our relationship with them? I'm on the fence about this, because I guarantee that we have spies in other countries as well. I'm just hoping this doesn't prove to shit all over the shaky trust that we've managed to build up with Russia so far

Last edited by xstax981 (2010-06-28 23:19:56)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6774|Moscow, Russia

xstax981 wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of why Russia still has spies here if we "reset" our relationship with them? I'm on the fence about this, because I guarantee that we have spies in other countries as well. I'm just hoping this doesn't prove to shit all over the shaky trust that we've managed to build up with Russia so far
russia have spies everywhere. usa have spies everywhere. every country worth its shit has spies in every place of their national interest.
and just so you know - you haven't managed to build any trust with russia at all, despite all the fancy words spoken by your leaders. we are and always will be... well... not enemies, no, but compeeting nations for sure.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

If we caught them and it was announced, they were either bad spies, or our spies were lucky, or something completely different happened.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Having spies in another country isn't a matter of whether you trust them or not. It's a matter of whether you feel you need information you think they will provide you willingly or not.

And announcing this--especially so close after the meeting with Medvedev--makes no sense. More JV foreign policy.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If we caught them and it was announced, they were either bad spies, or our spies were lucky, or something completely different happened.
The media have certainly given off the "bad spy" impression, whether that's correct...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6323|Graz, Austria
Guess Dmitry and Barack have to eat some more burgers together.
Or a bowl of borscht if they're meeting in Russia.
13rin
+977|6478

FEOS wrote:

Having spies in another country isn't a matter of whether you trust them or not. It's a matter of whether you feel you need information you think they will provide you willingly or not.

And announcing this--especially so close after the meeting with Medvedev--makes no sense. More JV foreign policy.
Yea, everything about this guy is JV.  However, I'd wager Bamster knew about this a while ago and he's all ready forgiven Medvedev -hence the burger joint.  Shit, it wouldn't surprise me if Bamster apologised to Medvedev for making him feel like he needs to have spies in the US.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
jsnipy
+3,276|6521|...

globefish23 wrote:

Perhaps they should have a beer
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

jsnipy wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

Perhaps they should have a beervodka
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6524|South Florida

Shahter wrote:

xstax981 wrote:

russia have spies everywhere. usa have spies everywhere. every country worth its shit has spies in every place of their national interest.
and just so you know - you haven't managed to build any trust with russia at all, despite all the fancy words spoken by your leaders. we are and always will be... well... not enemies, no, but compeeting nations for sure.
US would totally wreck you
15 more years! 15 more years!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

Mitch wrote:

Shahter wrote:

xstax981 wrote:

Shut up and keep buying their oil.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

Mitch wrote:

Shahter wrote:

xstax981 wrote:

mutually assured destruction, at best

put down the flag and accept that america aint the only world-police
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5998|Vortex Ring State
I wonder what we'll find next...

France up to that industrial espionage crap AGAIN?
13rin
+977|6478

Trotskygrad wrote:

I wonder what we'll find next...

France up to that industrial espionage crap AGAIN?
Last time we caught Israel...
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6620|London, England

FEOS wrote:

The timing was obviously done on purpose. There's more politics in this than any sense of national security. Well they pulled it off pretty well. Obama has no control or support from institutions like CIA/FBI etc.. they can and will screw things up if they need to.
nlsme1
+32|5416
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6323|Graz, Austria

nlsme1 wrote:

Mrs. Chapman is HAWT!!!!!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/2 … 29418.html
Definitely a spy!
She's wearing sexy dresses while holding a cigarette in a cheeky manner.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6567|Mountains of NC

you know ............. all of this .... every single bit of it is a publicity stunt for that new movie with jolie :

https://www.torrentportal.com/uploads/images/4613835a.-salt-movie.jpg

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina

DBBrinson1 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Yea, everything about this guy is JV.  However, I'd wager Bamster knew about this a while ago and he's all ready forgiven Medvedev -hence the burger joint.  Shit, it wouldn't surprise me if Bamster apologised to Medvedev for making him feel like he needs to have spies in the US.
Yes, because invading a country against the advice of most of your allies isn't JV, or how about allowing Colin Powell (once a highly respected military official) to make a fool of himself by plainly lying to the U.N., when nearly everyone knows it's bullshit?

JV is certainly nothing new with Obama.  Bush set the bar pretty low for the presidency.  When Obama hits that level of JV, let me know.
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Mitch wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Shut up and keep buying their oil.
Well, only a small portion of our oil comes from Russia.  Canada exports more oil to us than anyone else.   

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petr … mport.html

Europe, on the other hand...

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-06-30 20:32:40)

nlsme1
+32|5416
And if Europe didn't buy Russian oil, how much would ours then cost? If, they were sucking from the same teet as the US?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6620|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

We're not talking about destroying Russia though are we

Try again.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

SEREMAKER wrote:

you know ............. all of this .... every single bit of it is a publicity stunt for that new movie with jolie :

http://www.torrentportal.com/uploads/im … -movie.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNkTFao5 … re=related
I got to see her filming part of that on the Mall in DC one day when I was running at lunch before I moved. Good thing I was already all sweaty.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Turquoise
O Canada

nlsme1 wrote:

And if Europe didn't buy Russian oil, how much would ours then cost? If, they were sucking from the same teet as the US?
True, but why is that relevant?  We buy from Canada not only because we trust them but because they are geographically close to us.

Mekstizzle wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

We're not talking about destroying Russia though are we

Try again.
Neither am I.  Neither is my government.  In fact, the only people who are tend to be right wing nutjobs.  Try again.

The reason I even brought Europe into the discussion is because of the awkward situation about a year or two ago when the Ukraine and Russia were bickering over some things, and the resulting complications in oil distribution caused problems for the rest of Europe -- since you guys depend so much on oil and gas from Russia.
nlsme1
+32|5416
The only way it really has anything to do with this is, if it wasn't for Russian oil, ours would be a lot higher. So, keep depending on Russia to make our oil cheap. Along with all the other fucked up oil producing nations. However, it doesn't pertain to the OP, so sorry about that.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard