11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5236|Cleveland, Ohio
well it is canada.  i heard (dunno if its true) some soccer league in canada has a rule that if you go up by more than 5 goals, you lose the game.  ya thats right, if you are kicking ass you get punished.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

11 Bravo wrote:

well it is canada.  i heard (dunno if its true) some soccer league in canada has a rule that if you go up by more than 5 goals, you lose the game.  ya thats right, if you are kicking ass you get punished.
high school education standards in the us are pretty shitty too, no?

unless you have money and go to a private prep-school you're not sailing very high? social stratification? inner-city ghetto schools?

eleven-bravo meheecaaans not graduating?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom

Uzique wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

unless you have money and go to a private prep-school you're not sailing very high? social stratification? inner-city ghetto schools?

or even worse.   graduating from continuation school and the whole family being proud
Tu Stultus Es
11 Bravo
Banned

Uzique wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

i guess.  my issue is not the standards, but this new concept that every kid gets a gold star and trophy no matter what they do.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

11 Bravo wrote:

Uzique wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

i guess.  my issue is not the standards, but this new concept that every kid gets a gold star and trophy no matter what they do.
Well screw you, thats the only way I ever got either.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Ryan
+1,230|6841|Alberta, Canada

Uzique wrote:

i love how grandiose people are when they graduate from COMPULSORY education

all that starry-eyed rhetoric: "i want more for myself than just working the used-car lot..."

you've got a long way to go if you wanna become the next poster-child of the american dream

no offence, congrats to what you have accomplished so far... but don't milk it for more than it's worth
Trust me, I'm not.

I know everybody says they are gonna be the next Bill Gates or whatever, and that never comes true.
But honestly, I don't think many of my male friends will have that great of careers because they didn't apply themselves in high school. High school sets up what you can do in post secondary, and without that, your options are quite limited. The girls on the other hand always seem to try much harder than the guys, so props to them.

I took as many academic courses as possible to keep all my options open. I don't wanna be what you call the "poster-child of the american dream", one: because I'm Canadian :p and two: because that's not what I'm intending to do. I want a high paying job that is satisfying and enjoyable, therefore I tried hard in school to get where I am today. Unfortunately I hadn't made up my mind by now as to what I want to take in college/uni, so I'm taking a year off to work and make up my mind. From there, I'll choose my career path.

And I think it's a bit different too when graduating from a city with only 60,000 people, whereas many American's graduate from cities with over 100,000+ people (I dunno, just way bigger cities). Of course this education is compulsory, but that just gives people more motivation to slack off rather than to work hard to achieve the highest grades they can get. "Oh psshh, it's just school. Everyone does it. I'll just pass by with low 50's and I'll be good." But no, you won't, and they realize that after it's too late. "Damn, I should have taken those courses and applied myself. I didn't realize I needed this and that to become a(n) insert job title here."
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6129|North Tonawanda, NY

Uzique wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Depends on the school, really.  New York State has educational standards you need to reach to graduate...but they are hilariously low.  I went to a relatively wealthy suburban school and ended up alright.  Highschool is known to be a joke, and all the study skills it never taught me had to be speed-learned in my first year of college.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
yeah all im saying is that high-school isnt the benchmark for life-success

people that didn't do well in high-school arent eternally condemned to serving you fries, ryan

and just because you graduated with honours doesn't mean you're on your way to ivy league

nothing is concrete

Last edited by Uzique (2010-06-29 08:28:06)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Ryan

Uzique wrote:

people that didn't do well in high-school arent eternally condemned to serving you fries, ryan

and just because you graduated with honours doesn't mean you're on your way to ivy league

nothing is concrete
That's true, but what I'm trying to say is that if you didn't put your best into school, it's likely you won't put your best into working for the rest of your life. I agree that you could be a high-school drop out and still get an amazing job, but it's just unlikely imo.

If you could care less about acquiring your education, what is stopping you from caring less about your career?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Good work, keep going.
Sorry to hear you're Canadian
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

Ryan wrote:

Uzique wrote:

nothing is concrete
That's true, but what I'm trying to say is that if you didn't put your best into school, it's likely you won't put your best into working for the rest of your life. I agree that you could be a high-school drop out and still get an amazing job, but it's just unlikely imo.

If you could care less about acquiring your education, what is stopping you from caring less about your career?
i agree and disagree at the same time

the environment and methods of school-education arent for some people... that's not to say they don't have initiative or drive, or a skillset
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique wrote:

i agree and disagree at the same time

the environment and methods of school-education arent for some people... that's not to say they don't have initiative or drive, or a skillset
but if people dont have the basic tools, maths, english etc - which have to be learned young really - they don't have much of a chance.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
there are many areas of work and trade that involve hands-on experience, pragmatic skills and practical knowledge

i wouldnt say a plumber needs a GCSE in maths, english or any of the sciences to know how to fix up a house

and i wouldnt say a plumber or person-of-trade is destined for a poor living standard, either. quite the opposite.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique wrote:

there are many areas of work and trade that involve hands-on experience, pragmatic skills and practical knowledge

i wouldnt say a plumber needs a GCSE in maths, english or any of the sciences to know how to fix up a house
They certainly do, they need to work to specifications, standards etc - to do it properly and safely.
GCSE Maths and English - Or equivalent ability - would be the minimum.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
you dont need a GCSE in maths in order to be able to apply yourself to basic addition and mental arithmetic

seeing as you love anecdotal evidence i can tell you of family-friends that own companies worth multi-millions who don't have even the most basic of on-paper qualifications. human beings can learn how to add and subtract without an exam paper certifying so. carpenters, plumbers, tradesmen that aren't obviously-involved in some higher application (i.e. electricians who do need science knowledge) can make money without knowing how to factorize equations. stuff like trig and geometry can be picked up easily within trade-apprenticeship learning... still no need for formal education.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Which is why I said - "Or equivalent ability"
Ryan

Alot of math is useless imo. Like grade 12 math is useless, whereas calculus is not.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

Dilbert_X wrote:

Which is why I said - "Or equivalent ability"
it's not 'equivalent' though, is it? a GCSE in Maths has a much wider abstract/theoretical/textbook scope than what a plumber would ever practically need or use. how can you say the basic maths of plumbing is an 'equivalent ability' to knowing how to deal with fractions, how to solve quadratic equations, how to plot sine-waves on a graph? those are the basics of GCSE-level maths and will never ever be used in trade application.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire

Ryan wrote:

Alot of math is useless imo. Like grade 12 math is useless, whereas calculus is not.
what is grade 12 math. cause where i went for most its precalc, for some calc
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Back in my day, Calculus II was 11th grade.  Math Analysis and Probability & Statistics was Grade 12.  But in terms of difficulty, less than college 101 courses.
Fynnegin
(:
+8|5057|Tampa

Ryan wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

What exactly is there to be nervous about? You walk on, shake someones hand, walk off.
Yea but it's the atmosphere. Around 300 grads, 800 or so people in the audience. Some will be crying, others clapping, etc.

Just hard to imagine how 12 years went by so fast, and how the ceremonies will be over in like 3 hours.
Holy shit, you only have 300 grads? We had 2500. Congrats though dude, it'll be fun.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

Ryan wrote:

What a stupid statement. That depends entirely what you're going to do for the rest of your life. I can pretty safely say that I am never going to need to use calculus in my life. However if you do engineering, or another mathematics based field 12 grade math, and higher, is something you will use every day.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

ghettoperson wrote:

Ryan wrote:

What a stupid statement. That depends entirely what you're going to do for the rest of your life. I can pretty safely say that I am never going to need to use calculus in my life. However if you do engineering, or another mathematics based field 12 grade math, and higher, is something you will use every day.
Building tier 1 3D graphics engines like the sort from ID and EPIC take serious math skills.  I only delved into 3D graphics for a bit, but the whole gamut of geometry, trigonometry, physics, and calculus come into play.
11 Bravo
Banned

Ilocano wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Ryan wrote:

Building tier 1 3D graphics engines like the sort from ID and EPIC take serious math skills.  I only delved into 3D graphics for a bit, but the whole gamut of geometry, trigonometry, physics, and calculus come into play.
dont computer programs do the math for you?
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5700|College Park, MD

Ryan wrote:

I'm taking a year off to work and make up my mind.
I kick myself in the nuts every morning because I didn't do that. Very good choice.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard