?

Yes57%57% - 41
No42%42% - 30
Total: 71
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6432|Brisbane, Australia

Lucien wrote:

We're somewhere in-between 2 and 3, Call of Duty being the original game.
Thankfully we are getting closer to 3. Surely after Black Ops and MoH in the same like 6 month period after MW2 and BC2 that are not even a year old that is enough high profile modern war with no uniqueness and all in deserts or russia games to get people weary.

Although to be fair the WWII stuff was the same thing and overall those games werent as bad overall.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.
I prefer modern war, ww2 weapons are boring.

Last edited by jord (2010-06-27 04:42:53)

FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6683|Devon, England

jord wrote:

I reckon it depends on the gameplay. For multiplayer, Modern wins all the time (Except for MOH:AA), but games like Brothers In Arms make the WW2 theme amazing. Play those games full volume on the hardest difficulty and you'll see what I mean.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6432|Brisbane, Australia

jord wrote:

I do too, but it isnt making the games any better.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Shooting down a Japanese Zero with a battleship's main gun is far from boring, but that was BF1942. Writing your name in the air with a flamethrower is also great, but that was RTCW.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6734|FUCK UBISOFT

jord wrote:

WW2 weapons had variety.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
jord

Miggle wrote:

jord wrote:

WW2 weapons had variety.
Not really, there's the same amount of catagories of weapons now than then but there's more varients.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5171|Sydney
I don't understand why more ppl voted yes.

I know more people who game on PC than console, which is the reverse from 5-10 years ago.

My old place, my flatmates have a Wii. I think out of all the gaming that they did, 10% was on the Wii, the rest on PC.

My current place, we all have PCs and there's an XBOX 360 in the lounge room. One of our flatmate's brothers plays it more than all of us combined, and he visits once a fortnight-month. A couple of my other mates play PC, one has a Wii and the rest don't game unless it's at someone else's place. If anything PC is more popular, or maybe that's just my circle of friends.
jord

Jaekus wrote:

I don't understand why more ppl voted yes.

I know more people who game on PC than console, which is the reverse from 5-10 years ago.

My old place, my flatmates have a Wii. I think out of all the gaming that they did, 10% was on the Wii, the rest on PC.

My current place, we all have PCs and there's an XBOX 360 in the lounge room. One of our flatmate's brothers plays it more than all of us combined, and he visits once a fortnight-month. A couple of my other mates play PC, one has a Wii and the rest don't game unless it's at someone else's place. If anything PC is more popular, or maybe that's just my circle of friends.
Circle of friends.

All my mates have consoles. They have pc's too but they don't game on them.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5991|Vortex Ring State
tbh it's a cycle

First all gaming was on the PC

Then Came the Nintendo Game Boy. All Games were developed for that, they got all the media's attention, etc. etc.

Then back game the PC with multiplayer online gaming with HL:DM and CS

Then the PS2/PS3/360 came back, and the PC game industry declined a bit again.

IMO, in a couple years, people will simply get pissed off paying for content on the consoles and go back to PC after Sony/MS steps up the XBOX Live/PSN charging too much

Or, the console's graphics will age and the PC will surpass it.

As long as the PC Game industry gets their shit together and starts releasing standardized-ish PCs that just work with no troubleshooting (that's a problem).

Another possibility is the face that mobile device gamers (iPhone/iPod) will migrate to the PC, in order to retain the free DLC that many mobile games provide...
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6682|Tampa Bay Florida
Did anyone mention MMO's yet?  That's definitely one thing PC has over consoles... if you like them that is.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5991|Vortex Ring State

Spearhead wrote:

Did anyone mention MMO's yet?  That's definitely one thing PC has over consoles... if you like them that is.
I do not, but I see potential in them. (remember the 128 player BF2 that never happened).

But then again, MAG is on PS3
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6706|Purplicious Wisconsin

Miggle wrote:

jord wrote:

WW2 weapons had variety.
And plus factions were much more unique with their weapon choices. Germans had k98 as primary rifle, USA had m1 garand a semi auto obviously, Germans had a g43 as a secondary as a response to m1 but not as popular as k98, Germans have MP40 as primary SMG, USA has a Thompson which is far superior, Germans have StG44 which is a nice merge between rifle and smg, Americans have M1 carbine which merges pistol and rifle and has same range as StG44 just has crappier stopping power than the Thompson and StG44 but better than the MP40, USA has the m1919 as a MMG and BAR -which is a good merge between rifle and machine gun- as a lmg, Germans got mg42 which can fill either the HMG or LMG role, etc. One thing I like about ww2, especially USA vs Germany.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6316|Graz, Austria
My biggest problem with PC games nowadays is that there is almost no more offline, split-screen multiplayer, as opposed to consoles, where this is a standard.
The reason probably is that console hardware is constant for everyone, whereas PCs would vary too much in power to allow smooth gameplay for everyone.
I really hope that PCs and consoles will approach each other somewhere in the middle, so that split-screen will be back again.

The PC will always rule in the high-end graphics sector, for FPS games and (massively) multiplayer online games.
Console hardware is too constant for several years for that, and companies like Nvidia or ATI will always push the hardware and gaming market.
More so with the current 3D hype.

Lucien wrote:

It's not the death of PC games. The trend towards accessibility and "fair" games has caused game developers to focus on making games that let the players feel they're doing well from the first time they play. Games like BF2, UT, CS, and the like are all incredibly hard on new players and give experienced players the chance of actually getting good at the game. If you dumb down your game so new players can get into it easier and old players are not so willing to stick around, then the game itself and more importantly its sequel(s) are much easier to sell. Then there's the fact there are loads more gamers who are a lot more casual overall. They simply don't want to have to actually learn the game. Their attitude is often "I have a right to win" and devs are willing to support this.
This is the truth.
In fact, you can easily substitute the word "casual" with "dumbed-down for the masses" in every case, and still always be right.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6460

War Man wrote:

Miggle wrote:

jord wrote:

WW2 weapons had variety.
And plus factions were much more unique with their weapon choices. Germans had k98 as primary rifle, USA had m1 garand a semi auto obviously, Germans had a g43 as a secondary as a response to m1 but not as popular as k98, Germans have MP40 as primary SMG, USA has a Thompson which is far superior, Germans have StG44 which is a nice merge between rifle and smg, Americans have M1 carbine which merges pistol and rifle and has same range as StG44 just has crappier stopping power than the Thompson and StG44 but better than the MP40, USA has the m1919 as a MMG and BAR -which is a good merge between rifle and machine gun- as a lmg, Germans got mg42 which can fill either the HMG or LMG role, etc. One thing I like about ww2, especially USA vs Germany.
MP40 is always better than the M1A1 dude.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5897|CA
I'm surprised the issue of pirating hasn't come up yet.  What I'd like to know is if there would have been more PC exclusives or higher quality PC games if pirating was very little or completely non-existent.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
the piracy-scapegoat is a very tired and overused excuse for the completely non-related decline in game production quality

as has been previously summarized: the design-aims and ethos of game companies is now slamming for the coffers of the lowest common denominators - as well as the cross-platform dollar.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5171|Sydney

Trotskygrad wrote:

tbh it's a cycle

Then Came the Nintendo Game Boy. All Games were developed for that, they got all the media's attention, etc. etc.

IMO, in a couple years, people will simply get pissed off paying for content on the consoles and go back to PC after Sony/MS steps up the XBOX Live/PSN charging too much

As long as the PC Game industry gets their shit together and starts releasing standardized-ish PCs that just work with no troubleshooting (that's a problem).

Another possibility is the face that mobile device gamers (iPhone/iPod) will migrate to the PC, in order to retain the free DLC that many mobile games provide...
This.

The OP mentions that 5 years ago when BF2 came out there was all this buzz etc. Since then we've had the PS3, Wii and XBOX 360 released. Being relatively new, of course the market is going to move in that direction. Then, when PC gets better and better (as it always does) people will gradually move back over to PC, until the next new consoles come out, and so the cycle starts once again.

The challenge here (as it's always been) is for certain developers to make games that really are best on PC, and console porting just seems like a second rate game, or at best a great game but without the customisation and features to can get only on a PC game.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6706|Purplicious Wisconsin

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

MP40 is always better than the M1A1 dude.
Nay, Thompson has better stopping power, ROF, and decent accuracy. Plus you can have 50 round drum mags, can't do that with the mp40
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463

Jaekus wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

tbh it's a cycle

This.

The OP mentions that 5 years ago when BF2 came out there was all this buzz etc. Since then we've had the PS3, Wii and XBOX 360 released. Being relatively new, of course the market is going to move in that direction. Then, when PC gets better and better (as it always does) people will gradually move back over to PC, until the next new consoles come out, and so the cycle starts once again.

The challenge here (as it's always been) is for certain developers to make games that really are best on PC, and console porting just seems like a second rate game, or at best a great game but without the customisation and features to can get only on a PC game.
you're assuming that people are going to be willing to pay PC hardware and PC game prices as the pc 'cycle' comes back to fruition

which they wont

the demographic fact is that the mouse+keyboard generation - the early enthusiasts, the bedroom coders, the 'old school', the source-generation etc. - have aged and moved on. the average age for a pc gamer nowadays is something like late-20's and predominantly male. the upcoming generation of gamers have been raised on consoles their entire lives: no ataris or commodores, no floppy-disk games, no early-gen mouse and keyboard adventure games, rts, fps, rpg etc.etc. their staples are halo and call of duty (console) whereas 5-10 years before it there existed deus ex, half life, civilization, diablo etc. the pc 'boom' years will never come back in because, in plain economic terms, it is a more expensive hobby than (casual) console gaming. pc gaming will become more and more niche, and coincidentally, the game-releases we get will become increasingly tailored primarily towards the console-platform. this transition is already well underway and there are no market, consumer or price 'cycles' or 'reversals' that will change it.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6316|Graz, Austria

Uzique wrote:

the piracy-scapegoat is a very tired and overused excuse for the completely non-related decline in game production quality

as has been previously summarized: the design-aims and ethos of game companies is now slamming for the coffers of the lowest common denominators - as well as the cross-platform dollar.
Indeed.

If look back into the late 1980s and early 1990s, you'll see that there were consoles too (NES, SNES, Sega Megadrive,...), as well as a lot of piracy (floppy disk copying, photocopies of code sheets), yet, the production values and design of the games was much better.

I think the reason for this is, that games production has long come out of its niche into the mainstream, and has in fact turned that stream into the Amazonas. Computer games are everywhere today, even in your cornflakes pack.
These meant that the business grew bigger and bigger and is now run by managers, who's only job is to maximize profit, like in every other business/industry.
Graphic-J
The Artist formerly known as GraphicArtist-J
+196|6118|So Cal
PC games may be dying but I hope to hell that BF3 next year will be exclusively made for the PC.
At least give us PC/FPS gamers that dignity before croaking.
https://i44.tinypic.com/28vg66s.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
i think - although don't hold me to my words here - that a production/development team with as much financial interest as EA/Dice would be insane to just make a pc-only title. if you want a high-quality game with lots of development effort and money/time investment put into it, then you're going to have to accept the plain fact that the game is going to be aimed at the bigger and more profitable console market, too. if not even predominantly so. the "one day BF3 will come" myth is about as apocryphal as the return of jesus christ. it's all hype and community expectation - not anchored in reality at all. i'd love BF3 to be a good game, and im hoping it still will be... but it won't be the saviour of the PC gaming industry, and it won't snatch back all those millions of (casual) gamers that are now happy with their living-room console set-ups.
Graphic-J
The Artist formerly known as GraphicArtist-J
+196|6118|So Cal
^ So in other words it will be a shit console port.
I guess I'm one of the few that still has faith in DICE and not the corporate greed that is EA.
https://i44.tinypic.com/28vg66s.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
angel-headed game programmers/developers are squeezed by the fiscal realities of game publishers

it's a business-venture, first and foremost, not a grand artistic endeavour to create something sublime and perfect

bf3 will be scheduled for release at a time that EA deems most advantageous - calendar-wise, market-wise, consumer-wise

at a time that will most benefit their 'product portfolio' and 'maximize their profits'. it will not be scheduled for release when the game-developers say, ultimately and conclusively, that they are 'finished'. i think you are over-bestowing the people that work on bf3 with too many positive characteristics. they're squeezing out a product that they want to sell for as much money as possible. sorry if i seem cynical; im just being realistic.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard