Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

DBBrinson1 wrote:

*G@lt.

Regean took out the Soviets.
lol. ok.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Reciprocity
+721|6581|the dank(super) side of Oregon

DBBrinson1 wrote:

However, it was high time for discourse at this level.
Discourse between the President and his subordinates should go on behind closed doors.  Anything else is bordering on sedition.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

JohnG@lt wrote:

Edit - Going back even further, Reagan, who had no military experience, fucked up in Grenada. Carter, who had no experience outside of the peace time submarine force fucked up the hostage rescue in Iran.
I thought the Iran planning was just left to the military, Carter didn't mess up anything.

Obama and McChrystal need to shut up and get on with the job - the first part of which is deciding what the job is.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Karbin
+42|6294

JohnG@lt wrote:

Canin wrote:

Pretty good article, seems like a hell of a man and leader. Based on the article alone, if O does fire him, shits going to get alot worse in Afghanistan.
Doesn't matter. When you are in the military you are not allowed to express your political views. You don't have to like the President but you do have to respect the office. If he is on record bashing the Presidents administration then he should be relieved of duty.
Article 32
Conduct unbecoming/disreputably conduct
Insubordination.

If OB wants to rub his nose in it, he will not except his resignation at their meeting.

This could be ALMOST a repeat of Dugout Doug and Truman.
The bottom line is:
As a serving member his job is to implement the policy's of the Pres, not publicly bitch about them.
As a Theater Commander his is to set the example for the conduct of the troops below him.
Remember, it wasn't just the Gen. but his staff as well.

If a Capt or a Maj went on the record with saying the same things......
Here's your hat, Here's your coat, There's the door, Whats your hurry, Don't let the knob hit in the ass.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716
Reminds me of another Truman and MacArthur situation.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England
I dunno usually things don't go down well, anywhere, when you start making fun of your superiors like that, let alone the military/top level shit like this!

The problem is that what has actually changed regarding the military under Obama? Has he actually cut spending, I'm pretty sure they're still at the Bush levels from what I've read. I think it's just beef for the sake of it, they're not the traditional republican government and Obama isn't the traditional military man, so the hate must ensue.

He's now losing his own military, Obama (although I'm not really sure he even had it in the first place)

I guess the animosity between the US Military and Democrats stems from the Carter era (which was followed up by the Reagen era which widened the gap even more)

Obviously so far the US is a civil enough country that this will all just stay at the political level, for now

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-06-23 02:45:54)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Karbin wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Canin wrote:

Pretty good article, seems like a hell of a man and leader. Based on the article alone, if O does fire him, shits going to get alot worse in Afghanistan.
Doesn't matter. When you are in the military you are not allowed to express your political views. You don't have to like the President but you do have to respect the office. If he is on record bashing the Presidents administration then he should be relieved of duty.
Article 32
Conduct unbecoming/disreputably conduct
Insubordination.

If OB wants to rub his nose in it, he will not except his resignation at their meeting.

This could be ALMOST a repeat of Dugout Doug and Truman.
The bottom line is:
As a serving member his job is to implement the policy's of the Pres, not publicly bitch about them.
As a Theater Commander his is to set the example for the conduct of the troops below him.
Remember, it wasn't just the Gen. but his staff as well.

If a Capt or a Maj went on the record with saying the same things......
Here's your hat, Here's your coat, There's the door, Whats your hurry, Don't let the knob hit in the ass.
There's nothing in the RS article that quotes McChrystal directly. It's all attributed to his aides/associates saying he said it, so it's third-hand attributed to him. Wouldn't meet Article 32 criteria.

However, McChrystal clearly didn't have a beef with RS publishing the article and apologized for it before it came out, so he admits to the contents, essentially. He's done. My concern is more for the strategy in Afghanistan--who will take the reigns and what will they do?

And @ G@lt: Brinson's spot on WRT Reagan. Just got done reading a very enlightening article about specific actions Reagan took and how his views went back to the 70s regarding Soviet economic weaknesses.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Mekstizzle wrote:

I dunno usually things don't go down well, anywhere, when you start making fun of your superiors like that, let alone the military/top level shit like this!

The problem is that what has actually changed regarding the military under Obama? Has he actually cut spending, I'm pretty sure they're still at the Bush levels from what I've read. I think it's just beef for the sake of it, they're not the traditional republican government and Obama isn't the traditional military man, so the hate must ensue.

He's now losing his own military, Obama (although I'm not really sure he even had it in the first place)

I guess the animosity between the US Military and Democrats stems from the Carter era (which was followed up by the Reagen era which widened the gap even more)

Obviously so far the US is a civil enough country that this will all just stay at the political level, for now
It's actually from the Clinton era. Between his misuse of the military in Somalia, being an abject pussy towards Saddam and Al Quaeda and his drastic cuts to the military budget in which most of the senior enlisted were given early retirements, the military absolutely hated his guts.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Regean Reagan took out the Soviets.
Fixed, but not without the help of some of his predecessors.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

"My advice is to call him back to Washington, publicly chastise him and then make it clear that there is something greater at stake here," said Nathaniel Fick
I think I agree with that. You can't just whack a new guy in his place and expect it to continue the same as before. Also anyone else pick up on that Fick is one of the Marines from Generation Kill?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

ghettoperson wrote:

"My advice is to call him back to Washington, publicly chastise him and then make it clear that there is something greater at stake here," said Nathaniel Fick
I think I agree with that. You can't just whack a new guy in his place and expect it to continue the same as before. Also anyone else pick up on that Fick is one of the Marines from Generation Kill?
Holy shit I just noticed that. Yeah it's the same Fick. He works at a foreign policy think tank now afaik.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5473|Ventura, California
So judging by history, it's better to have a war veteran in the office?

I think Obama is the biggest retard in office - ever !
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

-Sh1fty- wrote:

So judging by history, it's better to have a war veteran in the office?

I think Obama is the biggest retard in office - ever !
Why is he still allowed in DST.
Karbin
+42|6294
News Flash!!!!!!!

Fired
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6537|Long Island, New York
Patraeus is back
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6130|North Tonawanda, NY
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Poseidon wrote:

Patraeus is back
At least there's someone who knows how to run shit...
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I don't fell like reading through 2 pages. Can anybody with some experience tell me what they think of the new general?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I don't fell like reading through 2 pages. Can anybody with some experience tell me what they think of the new general?
"New" general?

lmfao you're so not American.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6780|Great Brown North

Poseidon wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

"New" general?

lmfao you're so not American.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Let me put it this way since I'm so American.

Quels seront les plus gros changements bons ainsi que mauvais avec ce changement de général?

Oh sorry...

What are the pros and cons of this guy taking McChrystal's place?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Quels seront les plus gros changements bons ainsi que mauvais avec ce changement de général?

Oh sorry...

This is DST. Not "I'm too lazy to read TWO PAGES so somebody tell me everything in a condensed, 5 year old version".
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Oh sorry...

Americans speak English hur dur. This just further proves that you're just a skinny ass boy from Switzerland who's just an American wannabe.

Jeez can't you just wiki Petraeus? I mean come on.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6130|North Tonawanda, NY

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Oh sorry...

Patraeus was in charge of Iraq previously.  He was also very prominent in the news for the troop surge and what not.  Do you recall the 'General Betray Us'? ad that moveon.org made?  That's why he isn't really a 'new' general. 

Other people might have a better take on this, but the pros of him taking over are few other than Patraeus is far better at PR and 'he isn't McChrystal'.  The cons are obvious, since it takes time to get someone up to speed...and time is not something to be wasted in Afghanistan.

Read wiki for more information instead of posting that you are too lazy to do it yourself.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard