Moderate, a pack a day6%6% - 7
heavy, > a pack a day3%3% - 4
Total: 107
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6381|the land of bourbon

lowing wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

We're derailing John's thread, but I consider this a topic worthy of discussion.  What are your thoughts concerning one of the most heavily taxed and discriminated against groups in society today?

I used to smoke, but I quit, and certainly don't miss it...
I don't view smokers as discriminated against. I do agree they are taxed to death.

If you call smokers descriminated against, what do you call non-smokers who are forced to smell, breath and wear the cigarette smoke against their will?

Anyway if you decide it discrimination, given smoking is not natural and is unarguably affects the health of those exposed to it, if someone has has got to be discriminated against it should be those that are forcing their bad habits on everynne else.
i said that as more of a tongue-in-cheek reference to the ever growing smoking bans, designated areas, and such.  almost like smokers are lepers all of a sudden.  people seem to have forgotten how pivotal the tobacco industry was in building america.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

So was the slave trade...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

ghettoperson wrote:

So was the slave trade...
Slave trade was mostly built upon the cotton industry. Tobacco was mostly indentured servants.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

That wasn't my point.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6681|Disaster Free Zone
Never smoked, and wish everyone that does would just jump in front of a bus.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

DrunkFace wrote:

Yeah coz smoking is that morally wrong eh.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.
Just rolled a fatty.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

Cybargs wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

It's about as morally wrong as someone pulling down their pants and taking a dump on your face. Only difference being get crapped in the face is less likely to kill you.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6286|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

DrunkFace wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

It's about as morally wrong as someone pulling down their pants and taking a dump on your face. Only difference being get crapped in the face is less likely to kill you.
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
jord
Passive smoke never bothered me. Nor the smell.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

DrunkFace wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Yeah same could be said about alcohol and we saw how well prohibition worked out.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

steelie34 wrote:

lowing wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

We're derailing John's thread, but I consider this a topic worthy of discussion.  What are your thoughts concerning one of the most heavily taxed and discriminated against groups in society today?

I used to smoke, but I quit, and certainly don't miss it...
I don't view smokers as discriminated against. I do agree they are taxed to death.

If you call smokers discriminated against, what do you call non-smokers who are forced to smell, breath and wear the cigarette smoke against their will?

Anyway if you decide it discrimination, given smoking is not natural and is unarguably affects the health of those exposed to it, if someone has has got to be discriminated against it should be those that are forcing their bad habits on everyone else.
i said that as more of a tongue-in-cheek reference to the ever growing smoking bans, designated areas, and such.  almost like smokers are lepers all of a sudden.  people seem to have forgotten how pivotal the tobacco industry was in building america.
The designated smoking areas are not discriminatory toward smokers, they are considerate toward non-smokers, allowing smokers to kill them selves at their leisure without dragging anyone else down with them.

Not really sure what the history of tobacco has to do with anything. It is a product that, like many  other products, was popular and has since lost its luster. It warrants no special consideration for its protection as some sort of American institution. As a matter of fact there are several examples of what used to be part of America that is no longer in the favor of the American public, slavery, capitalism and working for a living and earning your own way just to name a few.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

Cybargs wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Yeah same could be said about alcohol and we saw how well prohibition worked out.
Love to know how you came to that conclusion.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

DrunkFace wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Drunks actually have a higher chance of killing you than a smoker.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Cybargs wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Drunks actually have a higher chance of killing you than a smoker.
Shhhh, let him keep his sense of superiority. He's probably never been able to look down on people from a morally advantageous position before.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

I don't really see how it's comparable. Drunks killing you is against the law. Smoking previously wasn't.
FloppY_
­

ghettoperson wrote:

I don't really see how it's comparable. Drunks killing you is against the law. Smoking previously wasn't.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6696|NJ
I smoke, I like the bans in certain places. Restaurants and others that make sense. I'm 50/50 on the bars though. On one hand I think it should be the bars choice, so the clients can go to a smokers bar or a none smoking bar. If you give choices then no one can complain.

I hang out in hoboken alot and now that smokers are going outside the people are complaining about the noise. So basically they can now go to bars and have drinks and not worry about it, but when they're at home they have to deal with the street noise. I can also imagine that girls are getting stuff slipped in their drinks more.

On the side note, when I was single it gave a great opportunity to take to girls outside one on one without having to yell.
jord
Coffee breath stinks more than smoke.
FloppY_
­

jord wrote:

Not imo...

But Coffee + Cigarette breath is the worst smell ever created by man!
jord

FloppY_ wrote:

jord wrote:

Not imo...

But Coffee + Cigarette breath is the worst smell ever created by man!
I'm pretty sure my nose doesn't smell so good, its like the worst sense anyway. Probably the reason I'm so tolerant of smokers.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5701|College Park, MD
Risk of getting a bit of smoke in your face as you walk past a bar = OMG BAN CIGARETTES KILL ALL SMOKERS

Thousands dying each year because of drunk driving = shrug

You don't see headlines like "Man beats wife in nicotine-fueled rage"

I've never heard of a college freshman dying in his first few weeks of college from smoking too many cigarettes.

And no, I'm not saying cigarettes are harmless. I'm just pointing out which is the more dangerous-to-the-public substance.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2010-06-23 08:31:11)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

I love it how the smokers are blowing everything ridiculously far out of proportion because some people don't like their nasty habit.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

ghettoperson wrote:

I love it how the smokers are blowing everything ridiculously far out of proportion because some people don't like their nasty habit.
It gets very very very old, especially when I get singled out for a tax increase and all the anti-smoking nazis cream their pants.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5701|College Park, MD

ghettoperson wrote:

You mean like how the non-smokers are doing?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard