No, never56%56% - 60
Used to, but quit20%20% - 22
Light smoker, < a pack a day13%13% - 14
Moderate, a pack a day6%6% - 7
heavy, > a pack a day3%3% - 4
Total: 107
nlsme1
+32|5409
Sure you are given a choice, don't use the services. When you do, you will become a hypocrite. Now, go smoke a cig., and learn to "keep a level head".
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

nlsme1 wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Right, and those have immediately profitable goals.  What about research into the subatomic structure?  Or quantum electodynamics?  You stop research into BASIC science, and you lose the profitable technologies of tomorrow.  And the government is the only entity that really has the ability to shovel money at it.
There are a lot of rich people who donate a lot of money into research institutes too... If someone finds that science is really important to them and they'd donate, I'd rather have that then the government taking my money and spend it to oblivion.
You do realize that government money has been in EVERY MAJOR advancement into science? Including healthcare? Pretty much every prescription drug had government money somewhere along the line, especially in the early developements.
Yes and this is why I'm speaking against it. You do realize the polio vaccine was done by a private research company right? Simple supply and demand with a lot of shit, if people want x drug to give y results, there would be massive interests from huge companies to fund research into it.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD
Just had a nice Nat Sherman hint of mint with a cup of coffee.

I know, I know, I'm
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
nlsme1
+32|5409
The polio vaccine was out long after government money went into research for it. The first producer of the polio vaccine could not have made it without the research that had already been performed. Thank god for Children's Hospital Boston, and Harvard. If it was not for the fact they existed, and got government money, we could still be faced with polio epidemics regularly.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

nlsme1 wrote:

The polio vaccine was out long after government money went into research for it. The first producer of the polio vaccine could not have made it without the research that had already been performed. Thank god for Children's Hospital Boston, and Harvard. If it was not for the fact they existed, and got government money, we could still be faced with polio epidemics regularly.
You do realize Harvard is pretty much a privately funded school that gets billions in donations...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD
Don't forget the public health work that went into eradicating polio. I'm guessing (too lazy to look it up on Wiki atm) that the majority of public health workers who got those vaccines out to the masses and informed them of it were either working for government agencies or for employers that get at least some funding from the government.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
nlsme1
+32|5409
You do realize they receive grants from the government too. The point was that government money went into the ONE vaccine that was pointed out that it didn't. It did, and HYPOTHETICALLY, the cure might not have come about had it not. There was government funds in the polio vaccine.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

nlsme1 wrote:

You do realize they receive grants from the government too. The point was that government money went into the ONE vaccine that was pointed out that it didn't. It did, and HYPOTHETICALLY, the cure might not have come about had it not. There was government funds in the polio vaccine.
Sure the government could jumpstart a lot of programs, but I'm just arguing that a lot of private research is done a lot more better and cheaper. Shit a polio vaccine would make a pharmaceutical billions, and even more in PR.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5953|Places 'n such

nlsme1 wrote:

I don't know to many people that eat healthy and excercise, take pride in themselves, and still choose to smoke. However, most of the smokers I do know have not had any REAL physical activity since they started smoking. I will agree it is a life choice. Make it. But don't "cry" your being singled out for anything, except to pay for the future drain you will become.
I smoke yet i'm still healthy... It's a choice, like you said. I don't hear of anyone who complains of being singled out purely because they smoke.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
nlsme1
+32|5409
G@lt.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-06-24 18:02:06)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

heh, i woulda thought you posted "One Fine Day" . . .
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

burnzz wrote:

heh, i woulda thought you posted "One Fine Day" . . .
It can be arranged...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

cpt.fass1 wrote:

lowing wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

He's probably the perfect picture of health. I picture him walking down the road holding a ribbon around the sun without a care to the world. Cops are beating some person next to him for smoking and they stop to great the great lowing.
Not really, I need to drop a few pounds, and I do have problems I am trying to deal with. Some of which are financial. Never saw a cop beat anyone for smoking sorry. Never saw a cop beat anyone for that matter.
Yeah it's an joke, I was hopeing the sun with a ribbon would clue that off :-P
You were exaggerating to try and prove a point, I simply wasn't biting or entertaining it.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Yes, precisely!
An honest, albeit offtopic, question here--do you think the government should fund research into basic science?  I mean things like Los Alamos, Lawrence Livermore, Argonne, Fermilab, contribute to CERN, etc...?  Without federal funding, science research in the US would collapse.  Quickly.
No I don't. I don't believe science research would change much, there would be a gap in time where science research would fall off a cliff, yes (but most practical science is conducted by the private sector anyway), but it would correct itself and find its own balance. Things like the Large Hadron Collider, massive Observatories, etc don't interest me in the slightest. They are just money pits from which, as with all government funded research, we don't expect any results. I want results.
I don't think so. I think you'll find most practical science is carried out by government agencies - defence agencies in particular.

And I disagree that LHC etc. is a money-pit but that's another debate.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

An honest, albeit offtopic, question here--do you think the government should fund research into basic science?  I mean things like Los Alamos, Lawrence Livermore, Argonne, Fermilab, contribute to CERN, etc...?  Without federal funding, science research in the US would collapse.  Quickly.
No I don't. I don't believe science research would change much, there would be a gap in time where science research would fall off a cliff, yes (but most practical science is conducted by the private sector anyway), but it would correct itself and find its own balance. Things like the Large Hadron Collider, massive Observatories, etc don't interest me in the slightest. They are just money pits from which, as with all government funded research, we don't expect any results. I want results.
I don't think so. I think you'll find most practical science is carried out by government agencies - defence agencies in particular.

It's a money pit to anyone who isn't a Trekkie
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

It's a money pit to anyone who isn't a Trekkie
Well... we'll see.

I reckon we could see some very, very, very interesting (practical) stuff coming out once QG is complete. LHC is the lynchpin to that happening.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6688|NJ
http://pdfcast.org/pdf/drunk-driving-af … ns-in-bars

Using geographic variation in local and state smoke-free bar laws in the US, we observe an increase
in fatal accidents involving alcohol following bans on smoking in bars that is not observed in places
without bans. Although an increased accident risk might seem surprising at first, two strands of
literature on consumer behavior suggest potential explanations—smokers driving longer distances to
a bordering jurisdiction that allows smoking in bars and smokers driving longer distances within
their jurisdiction to bars that still allow smoking, perhaps through non-compliance or outdoor
seating. We find evidence consistent with both explanations. The increased miles driven by drivers
wishing to smoke and drink offsets any reduction in driving from smokers choosing to stay home
following a ban, resulting in increased alcohol-related accidents. This result proves durable, as we
subject it to an extensive battery of robustness checks.

Interesting, places that banned smoking inside have an increase of Alchol related accidents.
CC-Marley
+407|6820
Did from age 19-22. Wised the hell up. Biggest turnoff is kissing a girl that smokes. just lick an ashtray. I just smoke herb.....puff puff...
eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom
since i was 12.  half a pack of camel filters a day.
Tu Stultus Es
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6587|Toronto-Canada
never has and hopefully never will
but my coworker who i'm a very friend with, he smokes about 2 pack a day

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard