Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

More information has been released about what led a Seattle cop to punch a young woman in the face during a scuffle that was caught on video.

The video shows Officer Ian P. Walsh trying to arrest 19-year-old Marilyn Levias. The two were already struggling when Levias' friend, a 17-year-old, pushed the officer, and he responded by punching the friend in the face.

"Are you serious? Are you serious?," bystanders are heard saying.

According to probable cause documents, 19-year-old Marilyn Levias and a 17-year-old girl were in a group of four people who were jaywalking to get to their friend. Walsh approached the group and was attempting to gather information when Levias began walking away, documents stated.

He said to her, "You have jaywalked and you are required to identify yourself so that I can issue a citation, if you refuse you will be arrested for obstruction." Levias continued to walk away, the officer said.

At this time, a witness started recording video of the scene.

Walsh walked up to Levias and grabbed her arm and attempted to handcuff her, but "Levias began twisting around and pull away in an attempt to get away," documents said. As Walsh was handcuffing Levias, the 17-year-old girl ran up behind Walsh and pushed him, and a struggle ensued. The video shows Walsh throwing a punch and hitting the 17-year-old girl.
Video
She obviously deserved it since she attacked the officer.
mikkel
+383|6594
She's a retard, and deserved a man-handling, but a punch to the face? Most police forces in civilised countries consider this kind of violence to be a last resort kinda thing, certainly not something to be used when an officer is pushed by a 17 year old girl. It's no wonder that law enforcement has such a bad reputation in this country.

Last edited by mikkel (2010-06-16 18:22:42)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Police don't get to decide guilt, punishment or mete out retaliation, which is what that punch was.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Dilbert_X wrote:

Police don't get to decide guilt, punishment or mete out retaliation, which is what that punch was.
Did you watch the video?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6522|Global Command

Dilbert_X wrote:

lol, k dude.

she put a hand on an officer in process of detaining somebody.

Dilbert, your post is so reactionary and vapid that I basically am posting in this thread in shear disbelief of it.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6404|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
A) Don't walk away from an officer
B) Don't ever attempt to force an officer away
mikkel
+383|6594

SplinterStrike wrote:

What's your point? This thread doesn't discuss whether or not it's right to do either of the things you listed.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

mikkel wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

What's your point? This thread doesn't discuss whether or not it's right to do either of the things you listed.
The OP is jump off point and everyone else is Robin Williams.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6404|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.

mikkel wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

Fine, I'll make a point.

An officer approached a group of people for information, fairly standard. They decide to ignore him and walk away, at which point he warns them of the consequences. When he attempts to apprehend one of them, she resists and he is pushed by another girl. Woman or not, is that a good thing to do to any police officer? Some women can be fairly strong, and if they decide to gang up on him, it could be a very bad situation for him. In comes justifiable retaliation with force.

The conflict was initiated by the group of girls, escalated by them and I believe he responded properly.
mikkel
+383|6594

Macbeth wrote:

mikkel wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

I suppose you feel that you're a really swell guy?

SplinterStrike wrote:

mikkel wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

Fine, I'll make a point.

An officer approached a group of people for information, fairly standard. They decide to ignore him and walk away, at which point he warns them of the consequences. When he attempts to apprehend one of them, she resists and he is pushed by another girl. Woman or not, is that a good thing to do to any police officer? Some women can be fairly strong, and if they decide to gang up on him, it could be a very bad situation for him. In comes justifiable retaliation with force.

The conflict was initiated by the group of girls, escalated by them and I believe he responded properly.
Isn't a punch to the face as a first response slightly beyond what could be considered a measured response to being pushed by a teenaged girl? I agree that they escalated the thing by doing something they shouldn't ever have done, but going straight to full physical force at the first opportunity, circumstances considered, seems a little out of hand.

Last edited by mikkel (2010-06-16 18:51:14)

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6709
I don't think the cop handled this correctly,he didn't take control of the situation quickly enough.
The fact that these girls thought it was ok to wrestle with the cop and not follow what he was saying
was very disturbing. The second girl in the attack has assaulted a police officer before which doesn't help her case.
"court records that show Levias has been arrested for assaulting a police officer before"
Love is the answer
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

mikkel wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

mikkel wrote:

I suppose you feel that you're a really swell guy?
I am

I don't know where this is going...
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6512|Πάϊ
to serve and protect - that includes stupid teenage girls
ƒ³
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA
I absolutely love it!!

Sad that the person filming decided it was more important to video instead of helping the police. Go figure.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Looked like the policeman didn't need any help.

The girl shouldn't have pushed the policeman.  The policeman shouldn't have punched her.  Both should be reprimanded accordingly.

/end thread
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6772|Great Brown North

Catbox wrote:

"court records that show Levias has been arrested for assaulting a police officer before"
lesson learned yet?
ATG
Banned

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

The girl shouldn't have pushed the policeman.  The policeman shouldn't have punched her.  Both should be reprimanded accordingly.

/end thread
Reprimand the cop for what?

That lady was grabbing his arm. One or two crazies in the crowd, and somebody grabs his gun and the headline could have read; cop killed by mob of jaywalkers.

I myself would have just hosed them all down with pepper spray.
mikkel
+383|6594

krazed wrote:

Catbox wrote:

lesson learned yet?
I'm sure it will be by the third strike. Hopefully they'll abandon that ridiculous concept and start stepping up sentences for repeating transgressions of a similarly egregious nature. This girl could've learned her lesson sooner.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

There's actually more to this incident than meets the eye. I don't have any sources to cite for this other than what I heard on the radio, but according to that, there was a man in the background of the video with a visible firearm.

On the other hand, the cop could have just gotten her picture, told her to have a nice day, ID her back at HQ then mail her a ticket. It is just jaywalking, after all.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

/end thread
give me a fuckin' break. The cop shouldn't have defended himself after being attacked by multiple people. God I hate fuckin liberals.
ATG
Banned

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

On the other hand, the cop could have just gotten her picture, told her to have a nice day, ID her back at HQ then mail her a ticket. It is just jaywalking, after all.
It's law and order.
ID her back at the station???

What, in the 24-esqe super techno command center?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

There's actually more to this incident than meets the eye. I don't have any sources to cite for this other than what I heard on the radio, but according to that, there was a man in the background of the video with a visible firearm.

I love this, stating what the cop shoulda done, with no mention that this fuckin bitch could have just complied with the lawful order of the cop and been a respectful lawful citizen.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5987|Truthistan

lowing wrote:

I absolutely love it!!

Sad that the person filming decided it was more important to video instead of helping the police. Go figure.
God bless video tape... we need more of it, not less.
Personally I don't buy the don't video tape because you should be helping argument. Video tape is a two way street. It shows her resisting and it shows the cop throwing a punch to her face in retaliation. Two wrongs don't make a right in this one. The only winner is the public because it was all caught on video tape. She'll get charged and he'll get retrained on how to be a "good" police officer.

BTW news has it that he was sent for retraining on police tactics on subduing a suspect. Cops aren't supposed to get into fist fights. And what ever happened to never hit a woman. In my book that makes this cop a loser.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5351|London, England

Diesel_dyk wrote:

lowing wrote:

I absolutely love it!!

God bless video tape... we need more of it, not less.
Personally I don't buy the don't video tape because you should be helping argument. Video tape is a two way street. It shows her resisting and it shows the cop throwing a punch to her face in retaliation. Two wrongs don't make a right in this one. The only winner is the public because it was all caught on video tape. She'll get charged and he'll get retrained on how to be a "good" police officer.

BTW news has it that he was sent for retraining on police tactics on subduing a suspect. Cops aren't supposed to get into fist fights. And what ever happened to never hit a woman. In my book that makes this cop a loser.
Chivalry died with feminism tbh.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
mikkel
+383|6594

Diesel_dyk wrote:

And what ever happened to never hit a woman. In my book that makes this cop a loser.
I agree with the reprimand and retraining, but the whole "never hit a woman" thing has always been bullshit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard