-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5472|Ventura, California
Source - Foxnews

Foxnews wrote:

A team of U.S. geologists and Pentagon officials has discovered vast mineral wealth in Afghanistan
, conceivably enough to turn the scarred and impoverished country into one of the world's most lucrative mining centers, a senior military official told Fox News on Monday.

"There is stunning potential here," Gen. David H. Petraeus, commander of the United States Central Command, told the New York Times in a report published Monday. "There are a lot of ifs, of course, but I think potentially it is hugely significant."

Americans discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, including iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium, according to the report. The Times quoted a Pentagon memo as saying Afghanistan could become the "Saudi Arabia of lithium," a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and cell phones.

The report said the U.S. Geological Survey began aerial surveys of Afghanistan's mineral resources in 2006, using data that had been collected by Soviet mining experts during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s. Promising results led to a more sophisticated study the next year.

Then last year, a Pentagon task force that had created business development programs in Iraq arrived in Afghanistan and closely analyzed the geologists' findings. U.S. mining experts were brought in to validate the survey's conclusions, and top U.S. and Afghan officials were briefed.

So far, the biggest mineral deposits discovered are of iron and copper, but finds include large deposits of niobium, a soft metal used in producing superconducting steel, as well as rare earth elements and large gold deposits in Pashtun areas of southern Afghanistan, the report said.
What do you people think this has in store for Afghanistan? Will the country now become even more corrupt and violent or will this help the country? I think the country is more screwed than ever now.

Look at all the countries with natural resources, they're very bad off, and I think this will only make matters worse. It would be nice though if on the other hand, it created tons of new high-paying jobs for the men to go mining instead of harvesting opium. If done properly it could bring great wealth to the country, not just the leaders.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

Conspiracy! That's why we were there in the first place!
Ioan92
+337|5721
oh the irony
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6173|Sydney | ♥

Ww3
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Benzin
+576|5997
Anyone remember when diamonds were discovered in Sierra Leone and the oil in Sudan?

Last edited by CapnNismo (2010-06-14 02:34:16)

Chou
+737|6789
Good, plunder and nuke.
rdx-fx
+955|6590
We'll pay for Afghanistan's government and infrastructure - then China or Russia will come along and get the contracts to develop the mineral resources.

/eyeroll
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6510|Gold Coast
Yeah I saw this on one of 4chans boards earlier today. Wasnt sure what to make of it, really. And Im still not sure.

I mean, a trillion dollars worth? I bet everone is going to be interested in getting their hands on the loot. (fixed to avoid shitstorm).

Mind you, China's economic interests would be very focused on this.

Last edited by KuSTaV (2010-06-14 02:46:29)

noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
Maybe it would stop being such a shit hole now people there could make a living.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
GL with that Cybargs.

A good way to manage this situation would be to hire Afghan people to mine the resources, then use the money to build infrastructures like hospitals, schools, running water, sewers, etc. This would produce thousands of jobs for the Afghan people and could be a turning point in their lives.

On the more realistic note:

Foreign company takes control, keeps all the money, exploits the Afghans.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6720|Sydney, Australia

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Nono.

Domestic government allows foreign companies to come in, promising the local population a share of the profits that will be generated in return for taking their land. Foreign company rapes land, and extracts most of the value. Pays some to corrupt government in form of taxes. Local populace gets none of the benefit.

/africa
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

-Sh1fty- wrote:

GL with that Cybargs.

A good way to manage this situation would be to hire Afghan people to mine the resources, then use the money to build infrastructures like hospitals, schools, running water, sewers, etc. This would produce thousands of jobs for the Afghan people and could be a turning point in their lives.

Um yeah no. I'm pretty sure the Taliban were such nice guys when it comes to controlling the economy. NO SHIT the revenues will go into building infrastructures, it's something called taxation and it is in a companies PR's interest to build infrastructure as well.

Unless the government FORCES the people to work for those companies, then it is exploitation. If they are willing to take shitty wages then it is entirely consensual. Asia went to a conflicting starving shithole to an economic powerhouse (in terms of pure GDP) with sweatshops.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

mcminty wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Nono.

Domestic government allows foreign companies to come in, promising the local population a share of the profits that will be generated in return for taking their land. Foreign company rapes land, and extracts most of the value. Pays some to corrupt government in form of taxes. Local populace gets none of the benefit.

/africa
This. I can't see it helping much.
Benzin
+576|5997

Cybargs wrote:

Um yeah no. I'm pretty sure the Taliban were such nice guys when it comes to controlling the economy. NO SHIT the revenues will go into building infrastructures, it's something called taxation and it is in a companies PR's interest to build infrastructure as well.

Unless the government FORCES the people to work for those companies, then it is exploitation. If they are willing to take shitty wages then it is entirely consensual. Asia went to a conflicting starving shithole to an economic powerhouse (in terms of pure GDP) with sweatshops.
Yes, because companies always want to build infrastructure. Look at fucking Foxconn or any number of the factories on mainland China. Infrastructure and PR my ass.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
$1T ain't shit. If every single ounce of ore was extracted today, sold and the proceeds handed out evenly to all Afghani's... it would come out to a whopping $33,000 each.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

JohnG@lt wrote:

$1T ain't shit. If every single ounce of ore was extracted today, sold and the proceeds handed out evenly to all Afghani's... it would come out to a whopping $33,000 each.
$33,000 is a lot of money for them.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

-Sh1fty- wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cool, now divide it by 50, as that's how long it would take to strip the country.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

CapnNismo wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Yes, because companies always want to build infrastructure. Look at fucking Foxconn or any number of the factories on mainland China. Infrastructure and PR my ass.
Better than getting shot at everyday.
Benzin
+576|5997

JohnG@lt wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cool, now divide it by 50, as that's how long it would take to strip the country.
$6600 is still a lot of money in a third world country, Johnny.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

CapnNismo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

He said 50. So it will be 660 usd. That's still fuckall even for Afghanistan.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

CapnNismo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Remove a zero.
-Frederick Bastiat
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6322|Graz, Austria
Seeing as the Taliban previously got a lot of profit from the poppy crops used for drug production, I doubt they wouldn't want to grab their share of this pie.
It would only make sense to heavily include the general Afghan population in this by providing jobs and building infrastructure, as that would certainly make terrorist attacks by the Taliban against the newly growing mining industry facilities look stupid in the eyes of the general population.

But yeah, global corporations are not known as Good Samaritans, and are generally more interested in their profit.
It's more likely that they bring over their own foreign workers, protected by private armies, all sanctioned by a corrupt local government.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

globefish23 wrote:

But yeah, global corporations are not known as Good Samaritans, and are generally more interested in their profit.
They're not here to run a charity. And I doubt any heavy mining in Afghanistan would happen any time soon... Expat engies don't exactly like getting shot at while working.
nlsme1
+32|5416

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard