• Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Flash Player 10.1 officially released for all the OSes
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6713|Riva, MD
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Tweakguides.com description:

This is a major update which contains performance and video improvements, multi-touch enhancements and adherence to browser privacy mode settings.
alexb
<3
+590|5936|Kentucky, USA

_j5689_ wrote:

This is a major update which contains performance and video improvements, multi-touch enhancements and adherence to browser privacy mode settings.
With the new Nvidia drivers, it supports full GPU acceleration.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6623|UK
Installation failed.

oh well.
alexb
<3
+590|5936|Kentucky, USA

liquidat0r wrote:

Installation failed.

oh well.
liq, try downloading it via this method, there's no need for that Adobe DLM junk.

http://filehippo.com/download_flashplayer/

Last edited by alexb (2010-06-13 09:14:40)

liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6623|UK
I'm sure it'll sort itself out at some point. cba
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6713|Riva, MD

liquidat0r wrote:

Installation failed.

oh well.
No, I got the same problem, you have to like restart once or twice or something so it can I think uninstall 10 and then reinstall 10.1.  It was confusing me too
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6839|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Hurray, worked perfectly with a apt-get update.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5784|Catherine Black
Mine installed flawlessly first time.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5174|Sydney

alexb wrote:

liquidat0r wrote:

Installation failed.

oh well.
liq, try downloading it via this method, there's no need for that Adobe DLM junk.

Took me literally 10 seconds from clicking the link till install complete. Thanks
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6717|Sydney, Australia

_j5689_ wrote:

Appleinsider wrote:
However, Adobe says this (privacy) feature is not supported for Opera or Safari, meaning that Flash content won't respect users' private browsing preferences.
The new Flash Player 10.1 release doesn't yet include official support for hardware video acceleration, a new feature Apple just enabled Adobe to provide with new Mac OS X APIs.
Another abysmal attempt at by Adobe..
alexb
<3
+590|5936|Kentucky, USA

mcminty wrote:

Appleinsider wrote:
However, Adobe says this (privacy) feature is not supported for Opera or Safari, meaning that Flash content won't respect users' private browsing preferences.
The new Flash Player 10.1 release doesn't yet include official support for hardware video acceleration, a new feature Apple just enabled Adobe to provide with new Mac OS X APIs.
Brasso
+1,549|6626

i must be the only one that doesnt care?

what's the big deal?

Last edited by Brasso (2010-06-13 18:46:07)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
alexb
<3
+590|5936|Kentucky, USA

Brasso wrote:

i must be the only one that doesnt care?

what's the big deal?
Offloading CPU usage onto GPU usage for video + fixes = good.

Last edited by alexb (2010-06-13 19:00:46)

mcminty

alexb wrote:

mcminty wrote:

Appleinsider wrote:
Even if Apple only recently let them use those particular APIs.. windows flash was previously fine without hardware acceleration. For me, one simple youtube video will often utilise 80-90+% of the CPU.. and it's a 2.66GHz core 2 duo.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6435|King Of The Islands

alexb wrote:

liquidat0r wrote:

Installation failed.

oh well.

Actually you can download the redist straight from Adobe:

Your download will start automatically.
If it does not start, click here for troubleshooting information.

Right at the end.

Pack of dicks for hiding it though. Used to have have it right on the Thank You page.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
jsnipy
+3,276|6518|...

Sydney wrote:

Hurray, worked perfectly with a apt-get update.
apt-gtfo
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6442|Amsterdam‫
sudo get wat is this shit I dont even
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
Jaekus
+957|5174|Sydney

mcminty wrote:

alexb wrote:

mcminty wrote:

Appleinsider wrote:
Even if Apple only recently let them use those particular APIs.. windows flash was previously fine without hardware acceleration. For me, one simple youtube video will often utilise 80-90+% of the CPU.. and it's a 2.66GHz core 2 duo.
So if the new version utilises more of the GPU, any idea what CPU usage would be now?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5784|Catherine Black

Jaekus wrote:

mcminty wrote:

alexb wrote:

So if the new version utilises more of the GPU, any idea what CPU usage would be now?
Less.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Jaekus
+957|5174|Sydney

Finray wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

mcminty wrote:

Less.
Clearly, but any idea percentile-wise?
mcminty

Jaekus wrote:

mcminty wrote:

alexb wrote:

mcminty wrote:

mcminty wrote:

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6735|Toronto | Canada

So wait, the hardware acceleration doesnt work for just Apple or all OS?

If its just Apple thats understandable because the "only recently" gave them full access to the required APIs.

mcminty wrote:

Thats got to be a problem on your end.  I've never seen it go more than 10% above regular levels from youtube
mcminty
It's a problem with Flash and OS X, cause Adobe can't give a fuck about non-windows operating systems. The symptoms I described with reference to flash videos is not restricted to me. It's a common experience.. just google it. Whether Apple had or hadn't previously given Adobe access to those APIs isn't the point - windows has had a stable version that doesn't require hardware acceleration for years.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6735|Toronto | Canada

But what were they supposed to do without proper access? Not support it at all?  I'd assume these are some key APIs that will allow more speed/stability once they can be used in the future.  I dont see how its fair to compare the performance on Apple (not having full access to what they need) and Windows (I'd assume having access to what they need). 

Also, I think the hate/"dont give a fuck attitude" between Apple and Adobe goes both ways
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6577|SE London

mcminty wrote:

It's a problem with Flash and OS X, cause Adobe can't give a fuck about non-windows operating systems. The symptoms I described with reference to flash videos is not restricted to me. It's a common experience.. just google it. Whether Apple had or hadn't previously given Adobe access to those APIs isn't the point - windows has had a stable version that doesn't require hardware acceleration for years.
Roll on HTML 5, eh...
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Flash Player 10.1 officially released for all the OSes

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard