Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5170|Sydney
I got the G110 today, not "wowed" by it yet but I barely had a chance to use it before I came to work.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

They'd be so much better if you could map out each key to a custom colour.

So make for example the WASD buttons a specific colour, and your others like TYU which are generally chat buttons different, etc

Having the whole kb one colour is a bit boring after awhile.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6557|Area 51

AussieReaper wrote:

So make for example the WASD buttons a specific colour, and your others like TYU which are generally chat buttons different, etc

I'd post this on a logitech forum. Maybe they will incorperate it the G19 v2 or G whatever the next number will be
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6278|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

RDMC wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

I'd post this on a logitech forum. Maybe they will incorperate it the G19 v2 or G whatever the next number will be
That feature would send cost through the sky...

afaik most backlit keyboards use only a few sources (e.g. 2-4 LEDs) and then lead the light to the keys all over the keyboard...

seperate colors for each key and customizeability = several LEDs for EACH key = Expensive

might aswell get an optimus maximus then....
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney

AussieReaper wrote:

That would be awesome. At the very least the WASD should be able to be made a different colour.

E: And yeah, now I'm starting to get used to it I'm quite liking this keyboard. Just have to get used to not using the "G" keys for caps, shift etc. just because they're on the edge of my board and my peripheral vision automatically wants to go there.

Keys feel nice to type, keyboard could have a little more tilt but I'm sure I'll get used to it in time. I really didn't like my MX Revolution when I first got it, now it's fantastic!

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-08-17 05:35:25)

Defiance
+438|6663

FloppY_ wrote:

afaik most backlit keyboards use only a few sources (e.g. 2-4 LEDs) and then lead the light to the keys all over the keyboard...

seperate colors for each key and customizeability = several LEDs for EACH key = Expensive

might aswell get an optimus maximus then....
Eh, no. Maybe $150-$200 which is a far cry from the Maximus. 1 Multi Color LED/Key + Controller board != One 48x48 16 bit OLED Screen for each key.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6431|Brisbane, Australia

They would markup the fuck out of it anyway. LED's arent expensive but a keyboard with individual LED's for each key would definitely be unique and the price would be increased accordingly.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6557|Area 51

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

They would markup the fuck out of it anyway. LED's arent expensive but a keyboard with individual LED's for each key would definitely be unique and the price would be increased accordingly.
Well obviously. But that wasn't the point tbh
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

FloppY_ wrote:

Prices don't stay high forever.

How much did a GameBoy colour cost on release, compared to a year later?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6278|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

AussieReaper wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Prices don't stay high forever.

How much did a GameBoy colour cost on release, compared to a year later?
How much did the optimus maximus cost a year ago?

oh yeah, the same as now...
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney
Only because they have a niche.

If the major players all started doing it market forces would drive the price down.
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney
So my G110 is working fine, but the backlighting no longer works (thanks to a glass of wine I spilled over it).

I'm looking to get a new backlit keyboard in the not too distant feature. But maybe not a G110.

Anything worth looking into at a similar/cheaper price point?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
Why does it have to be backlit?
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney
I dunno, I just like the backlighting. Also when it's dark I can see the keys.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
So where is this unlit cave you live in? Because i can see the white lettering on my keys just fine in the dark.
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney
This thread isn't a 20 questions about my computer life, it's to talk about backlit keyboards.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
If you really need backlighting, youre going to end up with one of those gimmicky and edgy gaming keyboards from razer or some shit piece of plastic like that.
If you really type a lot (or even if you dont) I would go mechanical. If you really like having all the extra buttons stick with what you have right now and deal with the lack of backlighting or buy a new g110.
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney
I don't like the macro keys though. I never use them and every now and then I go to use them thinking they're the regular keys. Annoying.

Mechanical keyboards seem a bit out of my budget. I don't want to pay $100+ for a keyboard.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
Mine was around 90 euros, but it will last me a lot longer than most keyboards.
There are cheaper alternatives though. I believe razer and steelseries both have a mechanical keyboard which are slightly cheaper (i think). But if youre not going to go big, you might as well go for a regular keyboard. I would say something logitech. Just get a simple one. If you dont need all the extra buttons and gimmicks why pay for it, right?
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney
True. I've got three keyboards under my bed. They aren't as good, and one is a bluetooth keyboard some woman gave to me when I was buying some furniture from her as she was moving house.

I'll look into the mechanical side of things. It's just at the moment I've just bought a new guitar ($1,500), paying off my credit card, have car rego due next month, personal loan, taking my girlfriend away for our one year anniversary, friend's wedding interstate in December and I'm moving interstate in four months - which is just after xmas and NYE... finances are looking to be a bit tight.
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney
And if I'm to get a mechanical keyboard, what type? There are quite a few switch types but I know virtually nothing about them.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
I have cherry MX brown which is pretty much the most common and standard (iirc). Types like a dream and is really comfortable for gaming as well.

Here's a guide on mechanical keyboards (the switch part being the most important in this case): http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mecha … oard-guide

The biggest difference is all the amount of force required to push them down. Some people find heavier keys to be more comfortable to type on, but your fingers can get tired of typing on them for too long from what i understand. Keeping them pushed down for an FPS for example, can be even more tiresome.

If i were you i would stick to cherry MX brown. Easiest to find and easiest to use.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
I have a zowie celeritas myself, so do Lucien and Uzique. Both recommended it to me.
But the main reason why i picked it, is because it has media keys, which most mechanical keyboards don't

e: I should mention that mechanical keyboard can be quite loud.

Last edited by Kampframmer (2012-09-06 07:25:18)

Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney
This one too:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai … s_id=21065

Gah, I'm going to end up buying one, aren't I?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard