nlsme1
+32|5413
http://www.newser.com/story/90917/wwii- … rmany.html

So I would like to present something to discuss. The lasting effects of war. And what effects are the most dangerous/last the longest.
pace51
Boom?
+194|5169|Markham, Ontario

nlsme1 wrote:

http://www.newser.com/story/90917/wwii-bomb-explodes-kills-3-in-germany.html

So I would like to present something to discuss. The lasting effects of war. And what effects are the most dangerous/last the longest.
I think the most dangerous effects of the war are the phsychological foods for thought. All it takes is one guy to say, "Hitler did it, so...". Also, now we have unstable white supremisist groups like neo-Nazi's. Ever since ww2, France ceased to be a military power, and they got humiliated. Aamong other things.

And another downside of ww2 was COD3, on a non-serious note.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5581

The effects of WW2 onto modern times is vast and we could fill books with how the war is still being felt. One of the most interesting, to me, has to do with the change in Euro culture. Before WW2 the game was imperialism in Europe and the average folk supported it, after WW2 the average Euro recoils at the idea of war no matter how just the cause.
Pacifism and liberalism have a lot to thank Hitler for in this case.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6806|Nårvei

Old bombs and mines from previous wars kills/injures people almost every day ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
pace51
Boom?

Macbeth wrote:

The effects of WW2 onto modern times is vast and we could fill books with how the war is still being felt. One of the most interesting, to me, has to do with the change in Euro culture. Before WW2 the game was imperialism in Europe and the average folk supported it, after WW2 the average Euro recoils at the idea of war no matter how just the cause.
Pacifism and liberalism have a lot to thank Hitler for in this case.
Yeah. No more colony grabbing.
nlsme1
+32|5413

Varegg wrote:

Old bombs and mines from previous wars kills/injures people almost every day ...
Not so much in 1st world countries that haven't seen war in almost 70 yrs.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6806|Nårvei

nlsme1 wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Not so much in 1st world countries that haven't seen war in almost 70 yrs.
True ... hence why I spoke in general terms
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
nlsme1
+32|5413
Wasn't really disagreeing with you, just amending.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
Depleted uranium dust scattered all over soldiers, civilians, farmland, water catchments etc.
Think we'll be seeing the effects of that for a while.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
nlsme1
+32|5413

Dilbert_X wrote:

Depleted uranium dust scattered all over soldiers, civilians, farmland, water catchments etc.
That is really scary to me. Nobody knows what effects this will have over the course of time. I have seen 2 headed fish.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5995|Vortex Ring State

nlsme1 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

That is really scary to me. Nobody knows what effects this will have over the course of time. I have seen 2 headed fish.
tbh it's called depleted uranium because it's not that radioactive, it's more toxic than radioactive, so it's more likely to kill shit than mutate it.
nlsme1
+32|5413
There are all kinds of radioactive isotopes that come from nukes. Just in the testing of nukes, there were vast amounts put into a wide range of land.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5995|Vortex Ring State
so I was thinking, there's an exact count of dud bombs and their weight, right? If we're finding so many, we should be able to find a dud ratio based on the statistics like "1000 tons of ordnance were dropped on Germany during WWII" (not sure about this, but there's stuff like this out there)
nlsme1
+32|5413

Trotskygrad wrote:

so I was thinking, there's an exact count of dud bombs and their weight, right? If we're finding so many, we should be able to find a dud ratio based on the statistics like "1000 tons of ordnance were dropped on Germany during WWII" (not sure about this, but there's stuff like this out there)
No way to really be "exact", and I'd be willing to bet there are already estimates out there.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5255|foggy bottom
pretty dumb bomb techs if you ask me
Tu Stultus Es
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6109|SC | USA |
They were filming Hurtlocker 2
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

I don't get it. Why didn't they just detonate the stuff from a distance? I mean, who the fuck wants to try and diffuse OLD ordnance?!

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-06-02 11:56:57)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5469|Ventura, California
They find undetonated ordnance in France all the time. Especially where the major battles happened. Something about the mud being so soft because all the trees were gone and it constantly rained, so the shells wouldn't detonate when they hit.

Oh and they find bones a lot, sad thing is people collect the dog tags so they can't be identified.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
pace51
Boom?

-Sh1fty- wrote:

They find undetonated ordnance in France all the time. Especially where the major battles happened. Something about the mud being so soft because all the trees were gone and it constantly rained, so the shells wouldn't detonate when they hit.

Oh and they find bones a lot, sad thing is people collect the dog tags so they can't be identified.
Collecting dog tags from corpses should be illegal. Thats just morally wrong.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5469|Ventura, California

pace51 wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Collecting dog tags from corpses should be illegal. Thats just morally wrong.
It is illegal! I saw a report on the whole thing back a few years ago (When I still had TV channels instead of DVDs) and they spoke about how at least once a week people walking in the forests will find unexploded ordnance and often bodies that eventually surface up and they take the dog tags and then the person is forever unknown and nobody will know what happened to that man who gave his life for his friends and his country.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6775|Great Brown North
after 1915 people didn't give their lives for their country

they had them taken by random shellfire, sickness, and stupid officers

people should be whipped in public for taking dogtags

also, isn't there still a few of those massive mines packed with explosives left? i saw a special about them on the history channel but i don't remember where they were

Last edited by krazed (2010-06-02 13:41:09)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

krazed wrote:

They didn't? Ask the good old boys who gave their lives for Doucheland.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-06-02 15:11:06)

pace51
Boom?

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

krazed wrote:

Or Vietnam, France, Russia, England, Poland, the Netherlands, any place in south America...
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6775|Great Brown North

pace51 wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

krazed wrote:

Or Vietnam, France, Russia, England, Poland, the Netherlands, any place in south America...
your forgot canada pace you fuckhead

anyway, what i meant was.... they mostly died for nothing
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX

Trotskygrad wrote:

nlsme1 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

tbh it's called depleted uranium because it's not that radioactive, it's more toxic than radioactive, so it's more likely to kill shit than mutate it.
Its the toxicity thats the problem by itself.
Plain lead can cause reproductive harm, it doesn't need to be radioactive to do that.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-06-02 16:38:07)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard