Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

An anti-Semitic game played by high school students near the desert resort city of Palm Springs has landed them in hot water, even as school officials say there's little they can do by way of punishment because it happened off school grounds.

The game, called "Beat the Jew," involved "Nazis" in cars racing a "Jew" on foot to a checkpoint on Highway 111, a major north-south route through La Quinta, near Palm Springs. The Desert Sun newspaper reported that some 40 students played the game, which also had a Facebook page until it was taken down late last week.

The game was discovered after a fellow student reported the Facebook page to school officials.

Parents, school officials and Jewish activists, including officials from the Anti-Defamation League, were outraged, and one local rabbi demanded the students be punished. In an open letter to the editor also published on the ADL's website, Southwest Regional Director Amanda Susskind said the organization "was shocked," but also lauded the unidentified student who blew the whistle and the school officials who quickly condemned the game.

"The proliferation of online social networking has led to the growing and troubling phenomenon of online hate and cyberbullying," Susskind said. "While the First Amendment protects most hate speech, we do not have to accept hate on the Internet as something that we are powerless to confront."

Susskind offered the organization's help in educating students about anti-Semitism. "Prejudice is learned," Susskind said, "and can be unlearned."

Police said there appeared to have been no crimes committed. Since the game was played off school property, school officials were limited in their response. La Quinta High School Principal Donna Salazar said she "would expel [the students] if I could, but I can't." But she vowed to take steps to work with the students, including taking up the ADL's offer to help with programs.

"This behavior is so offensive and inexplicable that it appears that everything we have been doing isn't enough for every student," Salazar told The Desert Sun.
http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/t … t/19499098
Sounds like a fun game.

Anyway does anyone else think it's completely outrageous for the ADL and the local school to have FB remove the page about the game the students were playing? Of all the world's problems does the ADL have nothing better to do than take down FB pages? Also why the hell does the principal want to expel anyone? Nobody seems to have been seriously hurt by this silly game and it has zero effect on the school. Overboard response by the ADL, the school, and parents.

On a sidenote, if ever there is cause for racism, it might have something to do with overboard responses by anti-racism groups to minor little non issues.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6646

I used to play a similar game like that. Except for some reason it was called 007 instead of Beat the Jew. We'd play it in the dead of night, have a team of two or three cars and a team of people on foot. People on foot had to make it from one location to another without getting caught. Was loads of fun.

Anyways...

Umm. People need to stop getting butthurt over every little thing. I think they call it that as a joke because it sounds so absurd, not because they're genuinely racist. Good thing those cunts can't expel the kids though, because that'd be ridiculous if they were for such a silly game.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6772|Great Brown North
cry harder PC whores
Wreckognize
+294|6477
How is this cyberbullying if it isn't directed at any one individual in particular.  It's just a name, like niggerlipping a joint or the Washington Redskins.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

It sounds more like it's some extension of Borat style humour than actual racism.
pace51
Boom?
+194|5165|Markham, Ontario

ghettoperson wrote:

It sounds more like it's some extension of Borat style humour than actual racism.
I think it's just a name, but yeah. Either way, it wasn't meant to be racist, they probably played it for days before someone thought of that as a funny name.

I'm sorry, but I lold when it said nazis racing jews in a game of "beat the jew".
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6698
That sounds like fun.  OH NO BUT IT HAS AN OFFENSIVE NAME.  Get over it.  It's just tasteless humor.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

If the Jew volunteered for it and is having fun, gtfo.
pace51
Boom?
+194|5165|Markham, Ontario

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Actually, there is no jew in the game. Thats the stupid part. They're titles. Like in hide and seek, you have the hiders and the seekers. Same thing. It's just a game.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5170|Sydney
Removing the FB page is a responsible move by FB and is line with their anti racist/hate speech policy.

Rather than expelling the students maybe they should give them lessons in history, with focus on the holocaust. Education should be before punishment, especially when no crime was committed.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

pace51 wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Actually, there is no jew in the game. Thats the stupid part. They're titles. Like in hide and seek, you have the hiders and the seekers. Same thing. It's just a game.
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if they got pissy about cowboys and indians or cops and robbers either. At least I got to have a taste of the 80's before it all became bullshit as a kid.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America
If we can't play that game, we can at least play Smear the Queer so we won't be accused of being racist . Perhaps they could even call it Illegal Immigration and have the Illegals on foot against the Border Patrol.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

At least I got to have a taste of the 80's before it all became bullshit as a kid.
my taste of the Eighties was pure as the driven snow . . .
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5694|College Park, MD

DesertFox- wrote:

If we can't play that game, we can at least play Smear the Queer so we won't be accused of being racist . Perhaps they could even call it Illegal Immigration and have the Illegals on foot against the Border Patrol.
That wouldn't go over well in Florida

They ought to do it in Compton and call it "Beat the Whitey", won't hear a peep against it!
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America
If you want to be facepalming for days, read the comments on any of the news articles (you know they'd be bad regardless, because honestly who comments on news articles anyway?) The name is in bad taste yes, but it's not racist or anti-semetic and outside of the game, I doubt any of these students encourage violence towards Jews or anyone else, for that matter. The Kick A Ginger Day on Facebook a while back actually caused problems because it encouraged real violence towards others, despite the playful origins of that whole meme/social phenomenon relating to ginger folk. This game is the very definition of harmless fun, but it just so happens to not be PC.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

burnzz wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

At least I got to have a taste of the 80's before it all became bullshit as a kid.
my taste of the Eighties was pure as the driven snow . . .
Well, I got out of gradeschool on the tail end of being in 'deep trouble' for having a capgun keyfob smaller than my thumbnail. Also, having testicles, drew guns and knives that landed me numerous times in the principals office, spawning multitudinous 'discipline slips' that were signed by my parents and subsequently ignored for their ridiculous content.

As bad as that was, it's much worse now...
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6517|South Florida
dont even get me fucking started on this politically correct bullshit

https://i47.tinypic.com/ild1te.jpg

Last edited by Mitch (2010-06-02 19:38:58)

15 more years! 15 more years!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I find it interesting that it's a bigger deal that they were racing 'Jews' than the fact that they were road racing at all.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

That wouldn't go over well in Florida

They ought to do it in Compton and call it "Beat the Whitey", won't hear a peep against it!
It's ok, the kids decided to change the game and they are going to play beat the muslim instead of beat the jew.
Nobody will have a problem with that.
Love is the answer
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5229|Cleveland, Ohio

Catbox wrote:

It's ok, the kids decided to change the game and they are going to play beat the muslim instead of beat the jew.
Nobody will have a problem with that.
ya...this forum would explode....

but, you are 100% correct.  bash jews and israel no problem really.  say one thing about mooslims and zomg zomg zomg.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6802|NÃ¥rvei

We used to play "poke Jesus" when I was young, tie the guy with the longest hair to a tree and poke him with sticks ... great fun
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6767|Moscow, Russia

Varegg wrote:

We used to play "poke Jesus" when I was young, tie the guy with the longest hair to a tree and poke him with sticks ... great fun
yeah, we used to play somehitng like that, only we used "Hitler" in place of "Jesus".
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Varegg wrote:

It was "Smear the Queer" for us as kids... Simple, the guy holding the football, ( FOOTBALL not soccerball) got chased down and tackled.

Last edited by lowing (2010-06-04 04:06:46)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6767|Moscow, Russia
the point is, it makes no difference to the kids if it's jesus, hitler, jews, muslims, of vinnie fucking pooh.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Winnie pooh

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard