Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,811|6170|eXtreme to the maX

Harmor wrote:

Update: Iranian aid ships head for Gaza

Maybe this would be when Israel finally strikes Iran?
Yeah, can't have them delivering aid to civilians now can we?
Maybe Israel will bomb the Red Cross too.
Israel's blockade of Gaza is a clear violation of international humanitarian law, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has said.

In a statement, the ICRC describes the situation in Gaza as dire, saying the only sustainable solution is a lifting of the blockade.
It says Israel is punishing the whole civilian population of Gaza.
It also urges Hamas movement to allow ICRC delegates to visit a detained Israel soldier Gilad Shalit.

The ICRC, a traditionally neutral organisation, paints a bleak picture of conditions in Gaza: hospitals short of equipment, power cuts lasting hours each day, drinking water unfit for consumption.
"The whole of Gaza's civilian population is being punished for acts for which they bear no responsibility. The closure therefore constitutes a collective punishment imposed in clear violation of Israel's obligations under international humanitarian law," the agency said in the statement.
And the ICRC blames differences between Hamas and the Palestinian Authority for some of Gaza's shortages.
But the key message from the body which rarely publicly criticises governments is that Israel's blockade of Gaza must be lifted.

That message is yet another indication of growing international concern over conditions in Gaza - just last week US President Barack Obama called the situation there unsustainable.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle … 306193.stm

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-06-14 22:47:43)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6388|New Haven, CT
Oug, I'll address your post tomorrow.

Dilbert_X wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Two knives and a telescopic sight?
Wowee.
Honestly? I already addressed the bulletproof vests and gas masks, which you pitifully attempted to dismiss as defensive while conceding implicitly they are weapons.
When did I do that?
How can a bulletproof vest be a weapon?
Are you serious? Firstly, I already provided the definition which indicated they are weapons. Moreover, common sense suggests that gas masks and bulletproof vests are both something military forces find much more use for than civilians needing food, and thus in a conflict have value. This isn't that complicated, and it's kind of obvious you are being deliberately obtuse.

Regarding the post, try this. You only said it explicitly, so I'd expect you to forget it. I'm glad I put enough effort into remembering it so I could refresh your own recollection of the post.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

I wrote:

Bullet-proof vests, gas masks = Defensive
Can't see where I conceded they were weapons, they aren't weapons, you're still failing.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6828|d
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6388|New Haven, CT

Dilbert_X wrote:

I wrote:

Can't see where I conceded they were weapons, they aren't weapons, you're still failing.
Nah bud.

You wrote:

Assault rifles, RPGs = Offensive
Very implicit is that you are categorizing armaments here, thus conceding they are weapons.

With that said, let's see some nice simple logic.

t3h dicshunary wrote:

An instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword.
Note the "or defense" element of the definition. Both the bulletproof proof vest and gas mask are instruments (i.e. implements) that help defend the use in a situation of hostile confrontation. Ergo, they are both weapons. It's not complicated, nor really something to contend with, and thus I really don't understand why you insist on focusing your attacks on tiny nitpicks that are ultimately wrong rather than more substantive moral arguments which might have some validity and self-support.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2010-06-15 02:17:12)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

You wrote:

Assault rifles, RPGs = Offensive
Very implicit is that you are categorizing armaments here, thus conceding they are weapons.

With that said, let's see some nice simple logic.

t3h dicshunary wrote:

An instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword.
Note the "or defense" element of the definition. Both the bulletproof proof vest and gas mask are instruments (i.e. implements) that help defend the use in a situation of hostile confrontation. Ergo, they are both weapons. It's not complicated, nor really something to contend with, and thus I really don't understand why you insist on focusing your attacks on tiny nitpicks that are ultimately wrong rather than more substantive moral arguments which might have some validity and self-support.
You're turning into lowing.

You can use a weapon defensively.

Some otherwise innocuous items can be used defensively but not offensively, eg gas masks, vests, that still doesn't make them weapons.
You can hide behind a wall of sandbags, does that mean bags of sand are now weapons? Trees? Doors?

'a gun, missile, or sword' Those are all weapons, not everyday items which have the potential to be used defensively.

Bottom line: The convoy did not have offensive weapons, no firearms, nothing which could realistically have harmed the Israeli commandos if they'd stayed >25m away.

I think you'll find civilians and aid workers do use flak jackets and bullet-proof vests, even gas masks, when they need to - doesn't mean they are carrying weapons and therefore fair game.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6780

Dilbert_X wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Update: Iranian aid ships head for Gaza

Maybe this would be when Israel finally strikes Iran?
Yeah, can't have them delivering aid to civilians now can we?
Maybe Israel will bomb the Red Cross too.
Israel's blockade of Gaza is a clear violation of international humanitarian law, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has said.

In a statement, the ICRC describes the situation in Gaza as dire, saying the only sustainable solution is a lifting of the blockade.
It says Israel is punishing the whole civilian population of Gaza.
It also urges Hamas movement to allow ICRC delegates to visit a detained Israel soldier Gilad Shalit.

The ICRC, a traditionally neutral organisation, paints a bleak picture of conditions in Gaza: hospitals short of equipment, power cuts lasting hours each day, drinking water unfit for consumption.
"The whole of Gaza's civilian population is being punished for acts for which they bear no responsibility. The closure therefore constitutes a collective punishment imposed in clear violation of Israel's obligations under international humanitarian law," the agency said in the statement.
And the ICRC blames differences between Hamas and the Palestinian Authority for some of Gaza's shortages.
But the key message from the body which rarely publicly criticises governments is that Israel's blockade of Gaza must be lifted.

That message is yet another indication of growing international concern over conditions in Gaza - just last week US President Barack Obama called the situation there unsustainable.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle … 306193.stm
I'd wait till the ICJ says something about the blockade.

Yeah Kevlar is DEFENSIVE. Hell if I was an aid worker in Africa or the ME, you can bet your ass I'd be armed and have kevlar.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6388|New Haven, CT
Nah bro, it seems you are the one becoming lowing. Let's understand why.

Dilbert_X wrote:

You're turning into lowing.

You can use a weapon defensively.
And according to the well-accepted definition, it can be exclusively defensively.

Some otherwise innocuous items can be used defensively but not offensively, eg gas masks, vests, that still doesn't make them weapons.
You can hide behind a wall of sandbags, does that mean bags of sand are now weapons? Trees? Doors?
Otherwise innocuous items? Lay off the opium before you post. What else are bulletproof vests and gas masks used for? Paperweights? They are designed to stop bullets and protect the wearer from poisonous gas. Bags of sand can be used defensively as weapons, but they have a host of civilian applications as well, and weren't designed primarily with the intent to protect military personnel in mind. Mentioning trees and doors, is just pitiful, and a perfect example of the "lowing" debate quality you so vainly attempt to insult. Neither are mobile, neither are really instruments, and neither were "designed" (with the exception of heavy security doors) with the intent to be used to protect people.

'a gun, missile, or sword' Those are all weapons, not everyday items which have the potential to be used defensively.
Bulletproof vests and gas masks are not everyday items either.

Bottom line: The convoy did not have offensive weapons, no firearms, nothing which could realistically have harmed the Israeli commandos if they'd stayed >25m away.
Another pretty argument. I like how you are conceding they had weapons, again. I'm glad your subconscious is more grounded in reality than your conscious thought wants it to be.

It is, naturally, also a great example of your shoddy debating.

You try to make the point they didn't have anything which could harm the Israeli commandos from range, which is right. They didn't. I'll concede that point to you, because I like to acknowledge reality. It's just that you so vehemently are attempting to prove that, while conveniently ignoring the implications, both of which undermine your delusional anti-Israeli bias. Firstly, it doesn't matter whether or not they had weapons that could be used "offensively" against commandos circling in helicopters, because obviously they would wait for the Israelis to board the ship before attacking them. It doesn't look good if you initiate the hostilities before it can be contrived to make your violence against Israel look justified. More importantly, though, is that the simple fact remains an ostensibly peaceful ship providing "humanitarian" aid to the Gazans was carrying weapons. I don't think much more explanation is necessary. Why would a ship intending to get crucial civilian aid to the Gazans have weapons of any kind? Why would they need them unless they were a) intending to engage the Israeli military forces sent to stop them or b) give Hamas weapons?

You see, you are so blinded by your hatred of Israel and your focus on one little issue you think may justify it that you can't see the larger picture. It's the same obduracy and lack of rational perspective that responsible for the condemnation of lowing's posts.

I think you'll find civilians and aid workers do use flak jackets and bullet-proof vests, even gas masks, when they need to - doesn't mean they are carrying weapons and therefore fair game.
Civilians have no use for gas masks or bulletproof vests unless they are in a war-zone, which Gaza currently is not. Vital humanitarian aid to the Gazan people consists of food, generators, water purification systems and the like, not apparel usually appropriate for military soldiers. You aren't going to successfully make the point that bulletproof vests and gas masks constitute essential survival gear for people lacking food, clean water and a functioning power grid.

Aid workers are irrelevant because the ship was supposed to be supply the people of Gaza, not foreigners.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6583|Πάϊ

nukchebi0 wrote:

Take your time mate this ain't IM

nukchebi0 wrote:

common sense suggests that gas masks and bulletproof vests are both something military forces find much more use for than civilians needing food, and thus in a conflict have value.
Let me interrupt. The gas masks and the vests were intended for medics - that's why they had flags on them etc. I read that somewhere, don't remember where, but I guess it makes sense?
ƒ³
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6388|New Haven, CT

oug wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

common sense suggests that gas masks and bulletproof vests are both something military forces find much more use for than civilians needing food, and thus in a conflict have value.
Let me interrupt. The gas masks and the vests were intended for medics - that's why they had flags on them etc. I read that somewhere, don't remember where, but I guess it makes sense?
I don't see how the flags distinguished them as for medics or why they would be necessary for working in peaceful conditions.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2010-06-15 04:02:45)

oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6583|Πάϊ

nukchebi0 wrote:

oug wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

I don't see how the flags distinguished them as for medics or why they would be necessary for working in peaceful conditions.
Yeah the presence of Turkish flags on the vests is quite odd, no matter how you cut it. Doesn't make sense to me either. But the article I read also mentioned other signs on the vests to distinguish medics - which I didn't see on the pics I must say. And I suppose they're for when medics need to attend to victims of street chashes etc. It's quite common in the region.
In all, the medics equipment makes perfect sense to me though.
ƒ³
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6475|'Murka

Bertster7 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

It has over here...

American news has a tendancy not to have so much about Israeli scandals.

Any regime that is oppressing the majority of it's population is unstable. Anyway, it was all in breach of UN arms embargoes on South Africa. One of the many sanctions imposed upon them.

If you can't see anything wrong with that, then you aren't looking at it properly.
Breaching UN arms embargoes is a different story.

But unfortunately, that doesn't rise to nearly the level of problem that we're talking about here, as countries do it every day, often with UN knowledge--even cooperation (oil for food, anyone?). That's like equating shoplifting to armed robbery or murder.

And if you actually read the declassified memos, there is nothing there that says the Israelis will provide nukes to the RSA. In fact, the only mention of nukes specifically says "manufactured in the RSA or acquired elsewhere" and it is on an internal memo from an RSA general. Everyone is hanging their hats on the "payloads in three sizes" comment from Israel WRT the Jericho missiles. That could refer to any warhead, particularly conventional.
tbh I haven't read them. I'd only heard them summarised on the radio. You sure that's all the references, because they sounded pretty sure on the programme I was listening to and the title of the article you linked to seems quite concise?
That was all the scanned documents...at least that was the implication of the Guardian.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6475|'Murka

oug wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Israel didn't sign the NPT. Iran and NK did. So it does not undermine my point in any way. And the only proof of the South African thing is the spurt of articles...no investigation has shown anything conclusive. I'm not saying it didn't happen. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it did, quite frankly. But there's nothing fucked up about it, from a legal perspective, since Israel is not a signatory of the NPT.
Ok FEOS I give up. Let's play it your way. Assuming - like you said - that the sanctions imposed on Iran have nothing to do with the actual nukes but just the fact that they signed a damn treaty, what's the penalty for breaching the NPT? Obviously they no longer intend to agree to its terms, so I'm guessing - bearing in mind that they were never forced to sign - that there will be a price to pay. So what is it do you know? Let them just pay the penalty and be done with the treaty altogether. Then they'll be free to do whatever the fuck they want just like your precious Israel. How about that.
It's not "my precious Israel". Just because I'm not a frothing-at-the-mouth Israel hater doesn't mean I'm in love with Israel. In fact, I've stated multiple times I disagree with Israel's policies WRT the Palestinians. I just don't knee-jerk disagree with every single action Israel takes.

As to Iran, the problem they face is that they are signatories to the NPT. They have already violated the treaty. If they back out now, they will essentially be doing the same thing NK did, which would put them in material breach of the treaty as well--they were in violation of it prior to backing out. The requirements to leave the treaty can be found here.

However, even if Iran withdraws, it will not settle the issue. It is not just Israel that takes issue with Iran's nuclear program. The GCC countries, much of the EU, and others have significant concerns beyond the NPT. Those concerns are related to the nature of the regime more than any legal issues related to Iran's nuclear program.

oug wrote:

FEOS wrote:

The bottomline WRT Israel's nuclear weapons program (assuming it does, in fact, exist) is that they have had multiple wars since they have had nukes and have not once threatened to use them, even though those wars were wars of existence for Israel. That is the ultimate test of nuclear stewardship, is it not?
No, it's not. I did say before that nuclear weapons in clashes with neighbors are worthless. I said nukes were worthless altogether as an offensive weapon. That's what I think. So no, the wars Israel has been in are no proof for me that they're trustworthy.
See the highlighted portion.

That would be the prime instance for a nuclear power to threaten to use or actually use nuclear weapons (even in a demonstration) in order to secure its existence--defensive vice offensive use.

oug wrote:

FEOS wrote:

"zionist pigs". That's a nice touch, btw. Very objective, even-handed language in comparison to the other descriptions.
I knew someone would comment on that. Didn't think it'd be you though.
Why wouldn't I comment on something that shows a clearly biased viewpoint WRT this topic?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6388|New Haven, CT

oug wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

oug wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Yeah the presence of Turkish flags on the vests is quite odd, no matter how you cut it. Doesn't make sense to me either. But the article I read also mentioned other signs on the vests to distinguish medics - which I didn't see on the pics I must say. And I suppose they're for when medics need to attend to victims of street chashes etc. It's quite common in the region.
In all, the medics equipment makes perfect sense to me though.
You're telling me medics are so imperiled by street violence that valuable cargo space on the Mavi Marmara needed to be dedicated to bringing them protection?
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6583|Πάϊ

nukchebi0 wrote:

You're telling me medics are so imperiled by street violence that valuable cargo space on the Mavi Marmara needed to be dedicated to bringing them protection?
Yes.
ƒ³
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Oh boy....

Otherwise innocuous items? Lay off the opium before you post. What else are bulletproof vests and gas masks used for? Paperweights? They are designed to stop bullets and protect the wearer from poisonous gas. Bags of sand can be used defensively as weapons, but they have a host of civilian applications as well, and weren't designed primarily with the intent to protect military personnel in mind.
And they can also be used to protect civilians, as they often are.

You try to make the point they didn't have anything which could harm the Israeli commandos from range, which is right. They didn't.
Correct thats one difference between offensive and defensive weapons, while the Israelis had assault rifles and pistols, the only 'weapons' on the flotilla were those which could be used within punching range, ie after the Israelis had initiated hostilities by boarding the ship.
Aid workers are irrelevant because the ship was supposed to be supply the people of Gaza, not foreigners.
And the people of gaza will have workers who need to go about their business in what is off and on a war zone.
The vests weren't exactly camouflaged - they had a very obvious red and white crescent flag stitched on the front - I suggest you go and look up what that means.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6388|New Haven, CT

oug wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Yes.
Something in the way of proof would be much appreciated.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Oh boy....

Otherwise innocuous items? Lay off the opium before you post. What else are bulletproof vests and gas masks used for? Paperweights? They are designed to stop bullets and protect the wearer from poisonous gas. Bags of sand can be used defensively as weapons, but they have a host of civilian applications as well, and weren't designed primarily with the intent to protect military personnel in mind.
And they can also be used to protect civilians, as they often are.
I know, but regardless, they aren't "innocuous items". And at any rate, you haven't shown that they constitute vital humanitarian aid for the people of Gaza.

You try to make the point they didn't have anything which could harm the Israeli commandos from range, which is right. They didn't.
Correct thats one difference between offensive and defensive weapons, while the Israelis had assault rifles and pistols, the only 'weapons' on the flotilla were those which could be used within punching range, ie after the Israelis had initiated hostilities by boarding the ship.
Israel has a blockade and offers to screen the cargo before taking it to Gaza themselves. IHH-led aid group says no. Israel enforces their blockade by landing on the ships to assume control of them. IDk commandos get attacked as they land. Israel didn't "initiate hostilities" unless the reports of gunfire from the helicopters are true. Nothing I've seen suggests that they are.

And the people of gaza will have workers who need to go about their business in what is off and on a war zone.
The vests weren't exactly camouflaged - they had a very obvious red and white crescent flag stitched on the front - I suggest you go and look up what that means.
The current crisis the ships were attempting to alleviate hasn't been a war zone in a while. Again, I'd like some proof that suggests that bulletproof vests and gas masks are crucial to the survival of the Gazan people.

It means Turkey provided them?

Like I said before, I'll happily concede the weapons point if it is shown they are falsified. I don't have anything suggesting that, either.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2010-06-15 05:43:36)

oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6583|Πάϊ

FEOS wrote:

[As to Iran, the problem they face is that they are signatories to the NPT. They have already violated the treaty. If they back out now, they will essentially be doing the same thing NK did, which would put them in material breach of the treaty as well--they were in violation of it prior to backing out. The requirements to leave the treaty can be found here.

However, even if Iran withdraws, it will not settle the issue. It is not just Israel that takes issue with Iran's nuclear program. The GCC countries, much of the EU, and others have significant concerns beyond the NPT. Those concerns are related to the nature of the regime more than any legal issues related to Iran's nuclear program.
So from a legal perspective all Iran has to do to get rid of all that international pressure for its alledged nuclear weapons program is to give 90 days notice and then leave the NPT. Is that correct? And then according to you there is no reason why anyone should have a problem with Iran developing whatever the fuck they want right?

Well apparently not though. It seems, from the article you provided, that countries such as SA have been pressured into signing the NPT. So let's go back to my initial point. Why is it that Israel has had no pressure whatsoever to become a signatory to the NPT and allow the IAEA to inspect its nuclear facilities?

Is there a chance this is a case of double standards?

FEOS wrote:

those wars were wars of existence for Israel.
See the highlighted portion.

That would be the prime instance for a nuclear power to threaten to use or actually use nuclear weapons (even in a demonstration) in order to secure its existence--defensive vice offensive use.
You don't get it do you. Call what you will - defensive, offensive, I don't care. The fact of the matter is that if Israel were to use nuclear weapons in its wars of existence with Egypt and its other neighbors it would effectively sign its own death wish by polluting the area covered by Israel for the following century. These wars are indicative of nothing.
ƒ³
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6583|Πάϊ

nukchebi0 wrote:

oug wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Yes.
When there are street clashes in the region, the Palestinians hurl stones at IDF soldiers and they use their automatics. Usually when soldiers shoot at you, there tend to be victims. Those victims need to be transported to a hospital asap. The medics that come in to get the wounded are themselves in grave danger and any form of protection would be greatly appreciated. Thus the bulletproof vests. Does that make sense to you? Or do you need proof to accept that this might be the reason those vests were on the ship?
If the latter is the case, then I will require some proof as well as per your explanation, namely that they constitute weapons.
ƒ³
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6388|New Haven, CT

oug wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

oug wrote:

Yes.
When there are street clashes in the region, the Palestinians hurl stones at IDF soldiers and they use their automatics. Usually when soldiers shoot at you, there tend to be victims. Those victims need to be transported to a hospital asap. The medics that come in to get the wounded are themselves in grave danger and any form of protection would be greatly appreciated. Thus the bulletproof vests. Does that make sense to you? Or do you need proof to accept that this might be the reason those vests were on the ship?
I know how that works. It doesn't seem they are currently occurring, though. Israel isn't occupying Gaza.

If the latter is the case, then I will require some proof as well as per your explanation, namely that they constitute weapons.
What?
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6583|Πάϊ

nukchebi0 wrote:

I know how that works. It doesn't seem they are currently occurring, though. Israel isn't occupying Gaza.
So what are you saying?
ƒ³
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6388|New Haven, CT
I'm saying that the confrontations you describe aren't happening in the current crisis, so the justification of civilian use doesn't seem applicable.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6583|Πάϊ
Do they have to be happening right now for the vests to be an appropriate aid?
ƒ³
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6287|Escea

oug wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

The activists were offered the oppurtunity to offload and refused, and they were warned about an interception. It wasn't just out of the blue.
I did not say that. I said that were it another country, I doubt there would be nine dead activists. Not because other countries are more compassionate or any crap like that, I just assume that they'd fear the retribution.
Example: the Imia incident a few years back, where some Turkish reporters - as they were later identified - planted their flag on Imia, a bunch of deserted rocky little islands in the middle of nowhere that belong to Greece. Our navy that arrived on the scene could easily have opened fire on them, but they didn't - probably fearing an escalation or the deteriorations of the Greek - Turkish relations.
Were they firing on the ships?
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6388|New Haven, CT

oug wrote:

Do they have to be happening right now for the vests to be an appropriate aid?
It doesn't seem like they would constitute essential humanitarian aid to a populace struggling with a lack of food, clean water, and functioning infrastructure otherwise.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2010-06-15 15:36:15)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard