oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6583|Πάϊ
Ok I'll try and explain then.

nukchebi0 wrote:

An example of the gross mischaracterization, just to be nice, is the following:

me wrote:

And you seem quite set on the latter so I guess that makes us even? Oh but surely not! You have proof from that lady who never leaves her office, riiight.
We already established a better source than that, so this statement is misleading plain stupid. Your arguments are compromised fully of such inadequacy.
How is that a mischaracterization? That article was the only one you provided to prove to me that the activists were radicals who intended to become martyrs, and the article in question supposedly proved that through a flimsy glimpse at their past and their religious beliefs. Now I did explain since then that your idea/stereotype of conservative Muslims is inaquate and plain wrong - and I did say that I happened to listen to some of the people of the floatila in person and they were everything but the "martyr" type.
Now on this subject you haven't provided a better source as far as I can remember. How could you anyway? There can be no proof of such an accusation even after a formal and unpartial investigation of the incident. Despite all this, you seemed sure of their intentions and you refuse to admit that the portrait you've drawn is based on assumptions and popular myths of your part of the world.

nukchebi0 wrote:

Regarding the pictures, you've completely ignored my justification of their veracity. The post you claim "says nothing new" includes a nice detailing of why it seems they are accurate,something you completely ignored. I'm beginning to think you are just being intentionally stupid like Dilbert is because you irrationally hate Israel, so if that is the case, I don't really want to waste my time laughing at your delusional statements much longer.
Regarding the pictures, your justification of their veracity was that there was also a video of the masks vests etc, an argument I already addressed. As for the "there was no vocal denial" part, I really don't know what to say. First off I don't read the news so much these days so I wouldn't know if there were any voices of denial, and I'm sure neither would you, because you know how to pick your news sources well... But aside from that, I really don't understand the logic here. On the one hand you suppose that a lack of resistance indicates the validity of something, and on the other whenever people protest you criticize them for it.
Instead of using inverse logic, I urge you to rethink all those things that were supposedly found on the ships. How much of that was actually there, how much was planted? What difference does it make etc etc.
And as a side note. First you want me to address your points and then you call me a school boy and you laugh at my "delusional statements". I understand that your insults are a direct effect of your lack of valid arguments, but paired with your endless repetition, they make a good reason why I should just ignore you.
ƒ³
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6475|'Murka

oug wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Of course it's up for debate.

Which countries of those three proliferate arms to others? Particularly in violation of international agreements and laws? It's not Israel. Iran proliferates arms to Hizbollah and others to wage proxy wars against Israel and the West. North Korea proliferates nuclear and other technologies to whomever will buy them, without regard.

Your problem is how Israel is treating the Palestinians. That has zero to do with how they could be expected to handle nuclear weapons or a nuclear program. Iran and North Korea have already given examples of how they can be expected to or have in fact performed their nuclear stewardship role.
Although Israel don't have the best track record when it comes to serious weapons proliferation to really dodgy regimes.

They offered to sell nuclear weapons to the apartheid regime in South Africa. That's pretty fucked up (and kind of undermines the point you are making).
lol Feos either you leave parts of my posts off, or you don't bother to read them altogether! Maybe it will register now, coming from Bert
So now that we got our facts straight, I won't even bother to point out the vagueness of your accusations toward Iran and NK as opposed to the facts about Israel, I will just repeat what I  already said before:
I don't trust any of the three governments at all. Whether it's religious fundamentalists from the middle ages, Hollywood-style demented baddie dictators or zionist pigs, it makes no difference to me. In fact, I wouldn't even trust them less than western governments like the US, France or any other nuclear power - as I refuse to be swayed by attempts to mask their true intentions.
Israel didn't sign the NPT. Iran and NK did. So it does not undermine my point in any way. And the only proof of the South African thing is the spurt of articles...no investigation has shown anything conclusive. I'm not saying it didn't happen. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it did, quite frankly. But there's nothing fucked up about it, from a legal perspective, since Israel is not a signatory of the NPT.

The bottomline WRT Israel's nuclear weapons program (assuming it does, in fact, exist) is that they have had multiple wars since they have had nukes and have not once threatened to use them, even though those wars were wars of existence for Israel. That is the ultimate test of nuclear stewardship, is it not?

NK has already failed the nuclear stewardship test.

Iran's neighbors and the world in general has zero faith in Iran's ability to maintain good nuclear stewardship.

"zionist pigs". That's a nice touch, btw. Very objective, even-handed language in comparison to the other descriptions.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6646|SE London

FEOS wrote:

The bottomline WRT Israel's nuclear weapons program (assuming it does, in fact, exist) is that they have had multiple wars since they have had nukes and have not once threatened to use them, even though those wars were wars of existence for Israel. That is the ultimate test of nuclear stewardship, is it not?
It's a part of it.

You have still not addressed the fact (and it is a fact - all the documents in SA have recently been declassified and published) that they offered to sell nuclear weapons to the apartheid regime in South Africa. Selling nuclear weapons to dodgy regimes does not fit in with my idea of responsible nuclear stewardship. I suspect it doesn't fit in very well with your idea of responsible nuclear stewardship either as you have been making a big deal out of Iran's proliferation of weapons to rather unpleasant groups...

Last edited by Bertster7 (2010-06-13 07:26:30)

FEOS
+1,182|6475|'Murka

Bertster7 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

It's a part of it.

You have still not addressed the fact (and it is a fact - all the documents in SA have recently been declassified and published) that they offered to sell nuclear weapons to the apartheid regime in South Africa. Selling nuclear weapons to dodgy regimes does not fit in with my idea of responsible nuclear stewardship.
What was dodgy about South Africa, other than their domestic policy of apartheid? Their foreign policy, particularly WRT nuclear weapons, was not dodgy. You are confusing your (rightful) distaste for the abhorrent domestic policy of apartheid for their ability to maintain effective control and not proliferate nuclear weapons to flaky countries.

As for the documents, that certainly hasn't made the news much...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6646|SE London

FEOS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

It's a part of it.

You have still not addressed the fact (and it is a fact - all the documents in SA have recently been declassified and published) that they offered to sell nuclear weapons to the apartheid regime in South Africa. Selling nuclear weapons to dodgy regimes does not fit in with my idea of responsible nuclear stewardship.
What was dodgy about South Africa, other than their domestic policy of apartheid? Their foreign policy, particularly WRT nuclear weapons, was not dodgy. You are confusing your (rightful) distaste for the abhorrent domestic policy of apartheid for their ability to maintain effective control and not proliferate nuclear weapons to flaky countries.

It has over here...

American news has a tendancy not to have so much about Israeli scandals.

Any regime that is oppressing the majority of it's population is unstable. Anyway, it was all in breach of UN arms embargoes on South Africa. One of the many sanctions imposed upon them.

If you can't see anything wrong with that, then you aren't looking at it properly.
FEOS
+1,182|6475|'Murka

Bertster7 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

It's a part of it.

It has over here...

Any regime that is oppressing the majority of it's population is unstable. Anyway, it was all in breach of UN arms embargoes on South Africa. One of the many sanctions imposed upon them.

If you can't see anything wrong with that, then you aren't looking at it properly.
Breaching UN arms embargoes is a different story.

But unfortunately, that doesn't rise to nearly the level of problem that we're talking about here, as countries do it every day, often with UN knowledge--even cooperation (oil for food, anyone?). That's like equating shoplifting to armed robbery or murder.

And if you actually read the declassified memos, there is nothing there that says the Israelis will provide nukes to the RSA. In fact, the only mention of nukes specifically says "manufactured in the RSA or acquired elsewhere" and it is on an internal memo from an RSA general. Everyone is hanging their hats on the "payloads in three sizes" comment from Israel WRT the Jericho missiles. That could refer to any warhead, particularly conventional.
― Albert Einstein

11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5301|Cleveland, Ohio

11 Bravo wrote:

oug wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

erm.....what freedoms did i lose?
It's so obvious, if you have to ask you'll never know.

nukchebi0 wrote:

Thanks for the concession oug.
wat
no, please tell me.  we are all waiting.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6646|SE London

FEOS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

It has over here...

Breaching UN arms embargoes is a different story.

But unfortunately, that doesn't rise to nearly the level of problem that we're talking about here, as countries do it every day, often with UN knowledge--even cooperation (oil for food, anyone?). That's like equating shoplifting to armed robbery or murder.

And if you actually read the declassified memos, there is nothing there that says the Israelis will provide nukes to the RSA. In fact, the only mention of nukes specifically says "manufactured in the RSA or acquired elsewhere" and it is on an internal memo from an RSA general. Everyone is hanging their hats on the "payloads in three sizes" comment from Israel WRT the Jericho missiles. That could refer to any warhead, particularly conventional.
tbh I haven't read them. I'd only heard them summarised on the radio. You sure that's all the references, because they sounded pretty sure on the programme I was listening to and the title of the article you linked to seems quite concise?
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6583|Πάϊ

FEOS wrote:

Israel didn't sign the NPT. Iran and NK did. So it does not undermine my point in any way. And the only proof of the South African thing is the spurt of articles...no investigation has shown anything conclusive. I'm not saying it didn't happen. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it did, quite frankly. But there's nothing fucked up about it, from a legal perspective, since Israel is not a signatory of the NPT.
Ok FEOS I give up. Let's play it your way. Assuming - like you said - that the sanctions imposed on Iran have nothing to do with the actual nukes but just the fact that they signed a damn treaty, what's the penalty for breaching the NPT? Obviously they no longer intend to agree to its terms, so I'm guessing - bearing in mind that they were never forced to sign - that there will be a price to pay. So what is it do you know? Let them just pay the penalty and be done with the treaty altogether. Then they'll be free to do whatever the fuck they want just like your precious Israel. How about that.

FEOS wrote:

No, it's not. I did say before that nuclear weapons in clashes with neighbors are worthless. I said nukes were worthless altogether as an offensive weapon. That's what I think. So no, the wars Israel has been in are no proof for me that they're trustworthy.

FEOS wrote:

"zionist pigs". That's a nice touch, btw. Very objective, even-handed language in comparison to the other descriptions.
I knew someone would comment on that. Didn't think it'd be you though.
ƒ³
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6583|Πάϊ

11 Bravo wrote:

oug wrote:

if you have to ask you'll never know
ƒ³
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5301|Cleveland, Ohio

oug wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

oug wrote:

if you have to ask you'll never know
please indulge us then.  or do you have nothing?  just trolling eh?
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6388|New Haven, CT
You still have failed to address other concerns, but at any rate, I'll try simplifying in order to help you understand. The key issue, it seems, is that you think, despite what I said explicitly multiple times, I'm attempting to prove my conclusions as veritable fact, rather than what can reasonable be inferred from the evidence at hand.

oug wrote:

How is that a mischaracterization? That article was the only one you provided to prove to me that the activists were radicals who intended to become martyrs, and the article in question supposedly proved that through a flimsy glimpse at their past and their religious beliefs.
The article from "the lady who never leaves her office", alleging the connection between Islamic terrorism and IHH, differs from the NPR article on their backgrounds, which is anything but flimsy. I don't understand why you confused the two or why you think the latter article is flimsy - it's quite clear the NPR reporter ascertained legitimate fact about the nine "activists" who died. No one is denying the veracity of that report, either, so it seems fair to conclude we can use the evidence contained therein.

Now I did explain since then that your idea/stereotype of conservative Muslims is inaquate and plain wrong - and I did say that I happened to listen to some of the people of the floatila in person and they were everything but the "martyr" type.
I already explained to you that I recognized not all Muslims are like that, nor were all the people on the flotilla intending to attack Israel's image through forcing a confrontation. However, the Greek people you heard from are not representative of the entire flotilla either, which means you can't conclude from listening to them that none of the flotilla members were intent on confronting Israel, and it is impossible to know whether or not the conservative, radical Muslims who died were of the type willing to martyr themselves for the cause. I'm merely saying, given their background, what happened on the Mavi Marmara, what was found on the Mavi Marmara, the underlying strategic considerations of the incident, and statements made by some other radical Muslims prior to the incident, it seems most likely that there were "activists" on the ship who intended to fight Israel (perhaps with the blessings of the organizers), and believed strongly enough in it to accept the risk of death. That is all. I'm not passing it as absolute fact, just the most reasonable conclusion from what transpired.

That is why I say you lack reading comprehension and exhibit most signs of remaining in high school. You persist in describing my arguments in way incongruous with words I've written explicitly. It's not implicit meaning you are misidentifying, but a consistent description that is contradictory with what has been directly stated in my posts. I don't know if it's intentional or a real limitation on your mental abilities. Admittedly, I've been assuming the latter, but you haven't done anything to change my mind.

Now on this subject you haven't provided a better source as far as I can remember. How could you anyway? There can be no proof of such an accusation even after a formal and unpartial investigation of the incident. Despite all this, you seemed sure of their intentions and you refuse to admit that the portrait you've drawn is based on assumptions and popular myths of your part of the world.
I have, but that's irrelevant. As I wrote above, and you also correctly state, there is no hard proof of the intent by "activists" and flotilla organizers to initiate hostilities with the IDF. However, you again completely misinterpret what I say. At the risk of redundancy, I am not sure of what happened, and never pretended to be. From my very first post, I made it clear that it was just what I had observed from my own rational analysis of what happened, not the result of some magical ability to discern what happened. I really don't understand why you can't comprehend such a simple notion, and insist on failing to properly acknowledge it, but it's been an embarrassingly prevalent fallacy throughout your responses. For the record, what I think is not fact, but simply what makes the most sense to an impartial observer given everything that is known about the situation. I refuse to admit it is based off of assumptions and popular myths, primarily because it is not. There is no assumptions when dealing with the probability of the outcome, unless I am assuming something which is entirely untrue, something I've ensured I did not. The assumptions came if I try to say that I know for sure that x happened, and x is based on me assuming that the radical Muslims were terrorists, and that IHH is linked with Hamas. Since I am only concluding a reasonable inference based on what is most likely the case, I am "assuming" the most likely options were true (i.e that IHH is linked to Hamas, the radicals were willing to fight against Israel, and so on). However, but this isn't a real assumption, but an observation of the odds.

There is a chance that the flotilla was entirely intent on helping the innocent civilians of Gaza without interfering in the war between Israel and Hamas, but given what I do know, it seems much more reasonable to conclude they weren't. Does this make any sense to you?

Edit: Since I'm nice, though: http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-d … d-1.295591

Regarding the pictures, your justification of their veracity was that there was also a video of the masks vests etc, an argument I already addressed.
See, this is a perfect example of your apparent lack of reading ability. I offered more than the statement regarding the video evidence, and you directly state yourself I didn't. You shouldn't be responding if you can't properly understand what is written in opposing arguments.

As for the "there was no vocal denial" part, I really don't know what to say. First off I don't read the news so much these days so I wouldn't know if there were any voices of denial, and I'm sure neither would you, because you know how to pick your news sources well...
Considering the story about the weapons was major news, you think a denial of their existence and obligatory doubting of the veracity of such reports would be equally big news. Rather, the Turkish government, IHH, and Free Gaza Movement continued to spew repetitive and generic anti-Israeli rhetoric entirely unrelated to the findings. I don't handpick news sources; it's kind of pathetic to assert that when its clear you hate anything contradicting your miserable hatred of Israel.

But aside from that, I really don't understand the logic here. On the one hand you suppose that a lack of resistance indicates the validity of something, and on the other whenever people protest you criticize them for it.
The logic isn't dependent on any hypocrisy I might have, and by itself is rather strong. People are much more inclined to directly deny something if its not true, and the fact such reports haven't been denied seems to indicate they are legitimate. Turkish officials denied Israeli claims prior to the release of the photos, but I haven't been able to find any originating afterward. Perhaps you'd like to prove me wrong?

Regarding the final clause, how do you figure I criticize people for protesting. An example would help the assertion move beyond the realm of 'baseless personal attack' into 'legitimate observation of hypocrisy', and would be much appreciated.

Instead of using inverse logic, I urge you to rethink all those things that were supposedly found on the ships. How much of that was actually there, how much was planted? What difference does it make etc etc.
Again, I doubt Israel planted it because it would be vocally and repeatedly denied, something that hasn't happened. It makes a major difference, obviously.

With that said, your words really make no sense. I did reconsider, and arrived at exactly the same conclusion. I haven't seen anything new that would make me change my mind.

And as a side note. First you want me to address your points and then you call me a school boy and you laugh at my "delusional statements". I understand that your insults are a direct effect of your lack of valid arguments, but paired with your endless repetition, they make a good reason why I should just ignore you.
Perhaps I was a bit harsh, but it's extremely aggravating to write things and then see them consistently mischaracterized in a manner not conducive to balanced debate. I've repeated myself many times, primarily because you don't seem to understand what I write when I do so the first time. Its tiring to repeatedly defend myself against such egregious inaccuracies, but I've been hoping that you'll eventually understand them if they are reiterated frequently and simply enough. The insults aren't a result of a lack of valid arguments, as much as you want to grasp at that, but rather a reflection of my irritation at your obduracy and apparent inability to read what I write.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,811|6170|eXtreme to the maX
Again, I doubt Israel planted it because it would be vocally and repeatedly denied, something that hasn't happened. It makes a major difference, obviously.
Two knives and a telescopic sight?
Wowee.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6388|New Haven, CT

Dilbert_X wrote:

Wowee.
Honestly? I already addressed the bulletproof vests and gas masks, which you pitifully attempted to dismiss as defensive while conceding implicitly they are weapons. Can you not read, or do you just choose not to when it undermines your ridiculously biased viewpoints on Israel? I also don't see how knives of any variety or the binoculars found with the telescopic sights constitute vital humanitarian aid, but I'll pretend those were intended for use in the ship's operation, not the people of Gaza or Hamas. With that said, the presence of weapons is only a minor aspect of my argument regarding the larger intentions of both sides, so your nitpicking looks rather pathetic anyways.

This debate depresses me so much, because I see normally intelligent people reverting to "I'm always right" fifth grader form due to deep-seated and mostly irrational biases. Invariably, you epitomize this drastic intellectual alteration.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2010-06-14 01:10:51)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6217|what

So if I wore a bulletproof vest, a gasmask and was holding a telescopic sight, in international waters, I should expect to be shot by an Israeli commando.

Makes perfect sense.

inb4 but what about the 2 knives? (how many people were shot and killed? They must have been sharing the knives...)
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6388|New Haven, CT
Are you kidding me AussieReaper? Are you honestly going to stick with that travesty of a post? I'll let it you edit it and contrive a situation even remotely resembling what the Mavi Marmara was trying to do before I lambast you for what is likely one of the most risible contributions to this thread, which is saying something rather significant about your post's quality.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6287|Escea

Dilbert_X wrote:

Wowee.
It highlights the fact that a 'peaceful' flotilla was carrying more knives than a kitchen utensils department, and its not like they were the kind you used to eat with either. Why would they have a telescopic sight for anyway? Considering a pair of binos or a monocular will do the job just as well if you want to look over distance, you don't need a crosshair for that. The bulletproof vests signify their belief that they would be shot at. If they were willing to comply rather than fight, they wouldn't need to have worried about being shot. The same goes for the angle grinders used to cut off pieces of railing. They had a stack of them, plus spare blades. Even for minor ship repair they wouldn't need as many as they had.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

nukchebi0 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Wowee.
Honestly? I already addressed the bulletproof vests and gas masks, which you pitifully attempted to dismiss as defensive while conceding implicitly they are weapons.
When did I do that?
How can a bulletproof vest be a weapon?

MOAB wrote:

It highlights the fact that a 'peaceful' flotilla was carrying more knives than a kitchen utensils department, and its not like they were the kind you used to eat with either.
Clearly you've never been in a kitchen bigger than your mums.
The same goes for the angle grinders used to cut off pieces of railing. They had a stack of them, plus spare blades. Even for minor ship repair they wouldn't need as many as they had.
They were delivering construction materials, cement and rebar, grinders are used to cut rebar.

If they'd wanted weapons don't you think they would have just brought AK47s? Handguns at least? Combat knives?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-06-14 05:46:44)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6287|Escea

Dilbert_X wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Wowee.
Honestly? I already addressed the bulletproof vests and gas masks, which you pitifully attempted to dismiss as defensive while conceding implicitly they are weapons.
When did I do that?
How can a bulletproof vest be a weapon?

MOAB wrote:

It highlights the fact that a 'peaceful' flotilla was carrying more knives than a kitchen utensils department, and its not like they were the kind you used to eat with either.
Clearly you've never been in a kitchen bigger than your mums.
The same goes for the angle grinders used to cut off pieces of railing. They had a stack of them, plus spare blades. Even for minor ship repair they wouldn't need as many as they had.
They were delivering construction materials, cement and rebar, grinders are used to cut rebar.

If they'd wanted weapons don't you think they would have just brought AK47s? Handguns at least? Combat knives?
Jesus, Mary and Joseph think outside the box Dil.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So, what, you want me to assume everything on the ship was a weapon because the Israelis say so?
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6287|Escea

Dilbert_X wrote:

So, what, you want me to assume everything on the ship was a weapon because the Israelis say so?
Allow me to spell it out.

A 'peaceful' group decides it wants to challenge the IDF. So they pack a shitload of knives, bulletproof vests, gas masks, slingshots and even went to the trouble of chopping up the railings of their ship (as you do), which I guess must be SOP for humanitarian groups. The IDF come down and are attacked, there's plenty of video evidence for that if you think otherwise.

Now in the aftermath the passengers of this ship can say 'Oh no, we had no real weapons' because (most) of what they had were generic implements. You bring a Kalashnikov with you and you lose complete credibility (not that this group could've done any worse) and the ability to cry foul.

You're so blinded with bias that you seem to completely overlook the fact that these people armed themselves as a direct challenge and started beating and stabbing the commandos as soon as they landed.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6583|Πάϊ

nukchebi0 wrote:

To my understanding you and I both can do nothing but speculate as to what happened and who is to blame. At no point in this discussion did I assume you were doing anything other than speculate based on your information. I was under the impression we were discussing which of the two conclusions could be made more safely - given the info that we have. 
It is also clear to me that you get a set of news and I get a different one. An example of how differently we will inevitably perceive things came up when FEOS said that the story about the Israelis dealing with the apartheid regime of SA did not make the news in his parts.
Aparently another thing that made the news here but not where you live is that the photos were supposedly fake, and the IDF didn't even bother to change the EXIF data - which date back to 2006.

But all that is trivia that don't interest me much. I know for a fact that there will always be different interpretations of incidents like this one, and that people will inevitably choose to believe one of the two sides. The thing that bothers me about the particular incident is that it was a clearly unnecessary heavy-handed action that needs to be punished by the international community. It's not one of those ambiguous situations where nobody can ever be sure who's to blame. The entire world is shouting bloody murder, and yet here we are after 29 pages still arguing about the basics.
And I can tell you why too. It's because we don't agree on who is the aggressor - generally speaking. Imho - and historically speaking - it's always the strongest party of the two who initiate confrontations - in the case of the ME problem, that is the role of Israel. Having the upper hand allows them to take that step further. In this case for example, supposing the activists intended to provoke the soldiers, the latter did not hesitate to escalate the situation by taking extreme action. It is my belief that if it was another country in their shoes they would hesitate a lot more to open fire on the activists - fearing the international outcry. You probably don't share that opinion, and that's what drives you to interpret incidents like this one here differently.
ƒ³
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6287|Escea

oug wrote:

In this case for example, supposing the activists intended to provoke the soldiers, the latter did not hesitate to escalate the situation by taking extreme action. It is my belief that if it was another country in their shoes they would hesitate a lot more to open fire on the activists - fearing the international outcry. You probably don't share that opinion, and that's what drives you to interpret incidents like this one here differently.
Allow me to stop you there.

The activists were offered the oppurtunity to offload and refused, and they were warned about an interception. It wasn't just out of the blue.

The IDF approach the ship and they arm themselves, then attack the soldiers abseiling down to the deck who hadn't attacked them at all yet. A commando draws his sidearm and uses it to protect a wounded other from the attacking party, which is something I can imagine any member of a military unit in the world doing. He felt his life and the life of his comrade were in immediate danger and defended himself the only way he could.

The people who initially escalated the situation were the activists by trying to breach the blockade, and then attacking the troops.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6583|Πάϊ

M.O.A.B wrote:

The activists were offered the oppurtunity to offload and refused, and they were warned about an interception. It wasn't just out of the blue.
I did not say that. I said that were it another country, I doubt there would be nine dead activists. Not because other countries are more compassionate or any crap like that, I just assume that they'd fear the retribution.
Example: the Imia incident a few years back, where some Turkish reporters - as they were later identified - planted their flag on Imia, a bunch of deserted rocky little islands in the middle of nowhere that belong to Greece. Our navy that arrived on the scene could easily have opened fire on them, but they didn't - probably fearing an escalation or the deteriorations of the Greek - Turkish relations.
ƒ³
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6613|San Diego, CA, USA
Update: Iranian aid ships head for Gaza

Maybe this would be when Israel finally strikes Iran?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard