konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6551|CH/BR - in UK

So, in a press release yesterday (I think it was yesterday), Zuckerberg announced that they were "made aware of" problems with their privacy, and they had their engineers rethink, and fix the issues.

From now on, the defaults for your settings are set close to what your other settings are (eg. if you use Friends of Friends for other settings, it'll be the default in the future).

Furthermore, instead of over 50 settings over 7 pages, with a word count higher than that of the US constitution, there are something like 15 settings, as well as presets that go from super private to super public (my words, not theirs).

https://imgur.com/sljNc.jpg

I, for one, am glad about these changes, but don't quite trust Facebook yet. It's about time they listen to consumer feedback about these issues, and hopefully they'll keep it up.

Source

-kon
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6176|Sydney | ♥

you could do all this before, just not as easily.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6551|CH/BR - in UK

tazz. wrote:

you could do all this before, just not as easily.
But that was the whole issue. Facebook has everything in their policy, and terms and conditions, and the options were there, but it's confusing for tech savvy people to keep up, let alone people who see Facebook as the internet.

Recently, for example, they released the "pages" feature, and decided that your interests would now be shared with everyone, regardless of your previous settings concerning those.

They've been opting people in, and they've used obscurity to their advantage, by giving Facebook more of a public face - in many cases without the knowledge of their users.

-kon

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard