Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX
According to wiki...
In other testimony, the Minerals Management Service officials said there have been 39 fires or explosions offshore in the Gulf of Mexico in the first five months of 2009, the last period with statistics available.
Seems like they're playing russian roulette out there without a backup plan.

It seems pretty surprising that no-one has yet developed a method or equipment for capping a blown underwater well.

Its not as if BP is the first, they won't be the last either.
eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montara_oil_spill

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-05-25 06:02:26)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6413|North Carolina

Mekstizzle wrote:

So what's all this about then:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162- … 03544.html

There shouldn't be a cap at all, let alone one that's "too high as it's unfair to smaller companies" - wtf is that shit?
It shouldn't be a monetary amount -- it should be a percentage of revenue.  That way, punishing smaller companies isn't an issue.

Of course, we all know the real reason why there is a cap and why they're using that argument...   because $75 million is a drop in the bucket for all the major players in the oil market.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX

Turquoise wrote:

It shouldn't be a monetary amount -- it should be a percentage of revenue.  That way, punishing smaller companies isn't an issue.
Why? That won't pay the cleanup cost.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6413|North Carolina

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Well, that would depend on the size of the spill and the percentage fined.
beerface702
+65|6701|las vegas

Mekstizzle wrote:

I've seen those before but it's hard to tell how big it is, there's nothing there to give you a good reference as to how big that really is. It doesn't seem that big though, and Is it that there's more than one leak or is that just it?
thats a valid point, but that is one leak with a 22"in OD pipe@ 12,000PSI(from what i have read) that one pipe is putting out 70K+ barrels a day

there is a second leak that they dont show since the live stream. A third leak outside of the BOP/Riser was plugged last month at least.

so two leaks..one on live stream..and another we hear about, if you follow all the news articles...but dont see. So how big really is this?

well i gues you just need to go down to the Gulf for some hands on. A nephew of mine is in Florida, keywest area. And says the fumes are terrible, if the wind picks up in that direction.

I just hope hurricane season is mild this season, because that wont be good, good at all.
beerface702
+65|6701|las vegas
good rense.

its a long read..but im sure someone will find it interesting.
http://rense.com/general90/analy.htm

want to try and put in simple terms what we are facing as far as what is coming in this potentially catastrophic well blow out event. It's going to be a long post, but an important one, it is of critical importance if you are not fully aware as you can be of what is going on, what the action plan is and what is taking place, because this event may very well affect us all...as in GLOBAL. There is a lot of partial truths..a lot of falsehoods, a lot is not being said and a lot of lies are out there, I think we all see this...we all want some answers...we all want to have a grasp of what is happening. First of all, don't feel bad if you don't understand what is going on or feel sort of lost, this is an extremely complicated event. I hope I can inform people and give them some basic factual knowledge and I never ever mean to "Talk down" to anyone...I only want to inform and hope everyone that wishes to learn does learn...I also hope the "pros" fact check me and assure all that I do say is true and factual and if is not...then speak up......and also add in regardless.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6629|London, England
Yeah I'm reading through that, it explains the video stream and what's actually going on. They're gonna try and do the top kill today/tomorrow. Let's see if it works. The article did seem quite alarmist but I don't have a reason to not believe it...

So basically if the top kill fails, we're in for a world of hurt.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6692|United States of America

Mekstizzle wrote:

But they (and other companies involved) were doing alot of stupid stuff and skimping in the name of profit, if they had just spent some extra cash on bringing things up to scratch it wouldn't have been as bad. It's worse because these guys have some massive profit margins that it's small change for them to do most things.
Finally got around to this topic, just what exactly do you know they were doing that was "stupid" and "in the name of profit"?
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5245|Cleveland, Ohio

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

obama says they will.....
Mekstizzle
WALKER

DesertFox- wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

But they (and other companies involved) were doing alot of stupid stuff and skimping in the name of profit, if they had just spent some extra cash on bringing things up to scratch it wouldn't have been as bad. It's worse because these guys have some massive profit margins that it's small change for them to do most things.
Finally got around to this topic, just what exactly do you know they were doing that was "stupid" and "in the name of profit"?
Come on, there's so many articles talking about this, what BP did wrong and how it could have been prevented. This story has gone on for a long time now, I can't be arsed trawling through loads of articles, andI'm not gonna sit here and spoonfeed it to you. Anyone that was interested in it would have known already.
11 Bravo
Banned
I'm amazed I still see people getting their gas at a BP station tbh.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6774|UK

11 Bravo wrote:

why?
11 Bravo
Banned

Vilham wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

why?
Because they should be shut down for this.  As Mek said about what they did...or didn't do.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6774|UK
I would quite like Mek to link to some articles with actual proof of this, there has certainly been lots of speculation, but until the hearing into this is concluded its all speculation. Everything Ive heard in the media suggests that actually the people BP contracted to run the rig were being incompetent, something which BP has to pay for.

What I don't get however is why the didn't just kill the well immediately.
jord
+2,382|6686|The North, beyond the wall.
boycotts are seriously lame.
11 Bravo
Banned

jord wrote:

so are your posts
jord

11 Bravo wrote:

jord wrote:

so are your posts
Boycott them then.
11 Bravo
Banned

jord wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

jord wrote:

so are your posts
Boycott them then.
i dont see how not buying from BP is lame tbh.  id say it quite resonable.  cuz it aint affecting your little island so hush.
jord

11 Bravo wrote:

jord wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

so are your posts
Boycott them then.
i dont see how not buying from BP is lame tbh.  id say it quite resonable.  cuz it aint affecting your little island so hush.
Its lame on a personal level. Even if you're just going 5 minutes around the corner to the next station and even if its only 1 cent more a gallon its still a waste of your time and money. They're a billion dollar company that is losing millions of gallons of oil into the sea, they don't care if you don't spend your 30 dollars on gas at their station.

Really I'm doing you a favour by preaching the truth.
jsnipy
+3,276|6530|...

jord you are just saying that because they are british
jord
I said the same thing about walmart.
11 Bravo
Banned

jsnipy wrote:

jord you are just saying that because they are british
jord
Even if I was, which I'm really not. Its still the truth. Save yourself the hassle.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Although tbh I think usmarine is also saying what he's saying cos they're not American too, so u both suck

But why not boycott them, it doesn't effect them but it doesn't effect them much if you use them either, so why not if you feel strongly about the situations.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-05-28 03:46:42)

11 Bravo
Banned

jord wrote:

Even if I was, which I'm really not. Its still the truth. Save yourself the hassle.
what hassle?  there are gas stations all over the place.  its actually a hassle to go to this BP (traffic).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard