Marlo Stanfield
online poker tax cheating
+122|5164
MADDOW: Do you think that a private business has the right to say we don't serve black people?

PAUL: I'm not in favor of any discrimination of any form. I would never belong to any club that excluded anybody for race. We still do have private clubs in America that can discriminate based on race.

But I think what's important about this debate is not written into any specific "gotcha" on this, but asking the question: what about freedom of speech? Should we limit speech from people we find abhorrent? Should we limit racists from speaking? I don't want to be associated with those people, but I also don't want to limit their speech in any way in the sense that we tolerate boorish and uncivilized behavior because that's one of the things freedom requires is that we allow people to be boorish and uncivilized, but that doesn't mean we approve of it. I think the problem with this debate is by getting muddled down into it, the implication is somehow that I would approve of
    any racism or discrimination, and I don't in any form or fashion.
PAUL: I do defend and believe that the government should not be involved with institutional racism or discrimination or segregation in schools, busing, all those things. But had I been there, there would have been some discussion over one of the titles of the civil rights.

And I think that's a valid point, and still a valid discussion, because the thing is, is if we want to harbor in on private businesses and their policies, then you have to have the discussion about: do you want to abridge the First Amendment as well. Do you want to say that because people say abhorrent things -- you know, we still have this. We're having all this debate over hate speech and this and that. Can you have a newspaper and say abhorrent things? Can you march in a parade and believe in abhorrent things, you know?. . .

I really think that discrimination and racism is a horrible thing. And I don't want any form of it in our government, in our public sphere.
Paul: Well, I think what you've done is you bring up something that really is not an issue, nothing I've ever spoken about or have any indication that I'm interested in any legislation concerning. So, what you bring up is sort of a red herring. . . . It's a political ploy. I mean, it's brought up as an attack weapon from the other side, and that's the way it will be used.

But, you know, I think a lot of times these attacks fall back on themselves, and I don't think it will have any effect because the thing is, is that every fiber of my being doesn't believe in discrimination, doesn't believe that we should have that in our society. And to imply otherwise is just dishonest.
Video from the Maddow website
So Rand is honest and truthful in the fact that The Civil Rights act did curb a bit of personal/business freedom and now everyone thinks he's a racist instead of libertarian. It is refreshing though for him to be honest about what he thinks as well as not calling himself a libertarian while denying the very things that the position stands for. I'm not a fan of his father but I do say I like his son.
Benzin
+576|5999
Rachael Maddow rocks. I'd totally wreck her.
Marlo Stanfield
online poker tax cheating
+122|5164

CapnNismo wrote:

https://www.boston.com/ae/tv/blog/maddow.jpg
You homo.
mikkel
+383|6602
This kind of patently obvious baiting is why I refuse to watch these shows. Many comments posted to the article are sickening as well, people talking about consumers having superior rights to business owners' properties that must be protected by the government.

I fully agree with this guy. Taking away the rights of people to be idiots under the guise of protecting civil liberties makes it very apparent that these people are out to do nothing more than protect the liberties that they like, at the cost of sacrificing the liberties that others like.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

How exactly is mentioning that she's a lesbian in the title relevant?
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5238|Cleveland, Ohio

CapnNismo wrote:

wow

you should never ever say anything aboot neo cons or bill O ever again ever never.

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2010-05-20 11:08:05)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

She looks like a thinner Tim Tebow.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6569|Mountains of NC

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/XSad.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

MADDOW: Do you think that a private business has the right to say we don't serve black people?

PAUL: I'm not in favor of any discrimination of any form. I would never belong to any club that excluded anybody for race. We still do have private clubs in America that can discriminate based on race.

But I think what's important about this debate is not written into any specific "gotcha" on this, but asking the question: what about freedom of speech? Should we limit speech from people we find abhorrent? Should we limit racists from speaking? I don't want to be associated with those people, but I also don't want to limit their speech in any way in the sense that we tolerate boorish and uncivilized behavior because that's one of the things freedom requires is that we allow people to be boorish and uncivilized, but that doesn't mean we approve of it. I think the problem with this debate is by getting muddled down into it, the implication is somehow that I would approve of
    any racism or discrimination, and I don't in any form or fashion.
PAUL: I do defend and believe that the government should not be involved with institutional racism or discrimination or segregation in schools, busing, all those things. But had I been there, there would have been some discussion over one of the titles of the civil rights.

And I think that's a valid point, and still a valid discussion, because the thing is, is if we want to harbor in on private businesses and their policies, then you have to have the discussion about: do you want to abridge the First Amendment as well. Do you want to say that because people say abhorrent things -- you know, we still have this. We're having all this debate over hate speech and this and that. Can you have a newspaper and say abhorrent things? Can you march in a parade and believe in abhorrent things, you know?. . .

I really think that discrimination and racism is a horrible thing. And I don't want any form of it in our government, in our public sphere.
Paul: Well, I think what you've done is you bring up something that really is not an issue, nothing I've ever spoken about or have any indication that I'm interested in any legislation concerning. So, what you bring up is sort of a red herring. . . . It's a political ploy. I mean, it's brought up as an attack weapon from the other side, and that's the way it will be used.

But, you know, I think a lot of times these attacks fall back on themselves, and I don't think it will have any effect because the thing is, is that every fiber of my being doesn't believe in discrimination, doesn't believe that we should have that in our society. And to imply otherwise is just dishonest.
Video from the Maddow website
So Rand is honest and truthful in the fact that The Civil Rights act did curb a bit of personal/business freedom and now everyone thinks he's a racist instead of libertarian. It is refreshing though for him to be honest about what he thinks as well as not calling himself a libertarian while denying the very things that the position stands for. I'm not a fan of his father but I do say I like his son.
Two thumbs up from me

https://lagwar.com/home/wp-content/uploads/two-thumbs-up.jpeg
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/blog/maddow.jpg
You homo.
Why is Peyton Manning wearing lipstick?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Turquoise wrote:

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

You homo.
Nah, it's definitely Tim Tebow.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

You homo.
Is that a boy or a girl?
Turquoise
O Canada

mikkel wrote:

This kind of patently obvious baiting is why I refuse to watch these shows. Many comments posted to the article are sickening as well, people talking about consumers having superior rights to business owners' properties that must be protected by the government.

I fully agree with this guy. Taking away the rights of people to be idiots under the guise of protecting civil liberties makes it very apparent that these people are out to do nothing more than protect the liberties that they like, at the cost of sacrificing the liberties that others like.
In principle, I agree.

However, I will have to say that, looking at this issue from a historical perspective, I really can't say that I believe a business has the right to discriminate based on race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation.

My city of Greensboro is where a sit-in was staged at a Woolworth's because it didn't serve black people.  Some of that generation of blacks is still alive, and many others are children of that generation, so these people either remember what that was like or remember the stories of it told to them by their parents.

It's really not feasible to allow businesses to practice racism, sexism, or other forms of discrimination against federally protected classes in a society where we already toiled with the violent repercussions of that for many decades.  It would literally be a step backwards for our society as a whole.

I can understand where Rand is coming from, but this is a perfect case where reality takes precedence over principles -- no matter how consistent they might be regarding freedom.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

ghettoperson wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

You homo.
Holy shit! I totally thought that was a picture of a guy put up as a joke.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

JohnG@lt wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

No, that's Rachael Maddow.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

In principle, I agree.

However, I will have to say that, looking at this issue from a historical perspective, I really can't say that I believe a business has the right to discriminate based on race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation.

My city of Greensboro is where a sit-in was staged at a Woolworth's because it didn't serve black people.  Some of that generation of blacks is still alive, and many others are children of that generation, so these people either remember what that was like or remember the stories of it told to them by their parents.

It's really not feasible to allow businesses to practice racism, sexism, or other forms of discrimination against federally protected classes in a society where we already toiled with the violent repercussions of that for many decades.  It would literally be a step backwards for our society as a whole.

I can understand where Rand is coming from, but this is a perfect case where reality takes precedence over principles -- no matter how consistent they might be regarding freedom.
If a business wants to injure it's bottom line by discriminating that's its own prerogative. I don't see it as being any different from the stores that cater to Asian needs or Black needs or whatever else. They're all limiting their customer base by marketing to a certain subsection of the market.

The difference between today and the 50-60s is that shit wouldn't fly. You need to follow your own advice and follow reality instead of your principles. Any company that tried discriminating based on race would have news vans camped outside of it until the policy was changed. Remember when Tiger Woods had issues at Augusta? Public clamor forced them to change the rules.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

No, that's Rachael Maddow.
"The feminist movement was created to allow ugly women access to the mainstream of society."

One of the few things in which I agree with Rush Limbaugh
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

If a business wants to injure it's bottom line by discriminating that's its own prerogative. I don't see it as being any different from the stores that cater to Asian needs or Black needs or whatever else. They're all limiting their customer base by marketing to a certain subsection of the market.
Limiting your market is vastly different from refusing to serve someone based on race.

JohnG@lt wrote:

The difference between today and the 50-60s is that shit wouldn't fly. You need to follow your own advice and follow reality instead of your principles. Any company that tried discriminating based on race would have news vans camped outside of it until the policy was changed. Remember when Tiger Woods had issues at Augusta? Public clamor forced them to change the rules.
Reality is that many rural areas wouldn't have a problem with discriminating against a particular race.  You can't rely on the general public to deal with this issue, because racism still exists in many areas and probably always will.

The government does have to intervene on this issue.  That is the reality.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

https://www.boston.com/ae/tv/blog/maddow.jpghttps://youngstarz.org/online/wp-content/uploads/Tim_Tebow_YOUNGSTARZ.jpg

amirite?
Turquoise
O Canada
Sort of...  I still think she has more Peyton similarities...

https://images.askmen.com/galleries/men/peyton-manning/pictures/peyton-manning-picture-1.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
more tebow imo. peytons
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
NAthANSmitt
Stud
+4|6130
This thread's name is disappointingly misleading.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard