Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5178|Sydney
The censorship and the internet is bollocks. There is so much public voice against it here, yet Conroy still wants to go ahead with it. Even the major telcos have said they don't agree with it, or last I read at any rate.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

Jaekus wrote:

The censorship and the internet is bollocks. There is so much public voice against it here, yet Conroy still wants to go ahead with it. Even the major telcos have said they don't agree with it, or last I read at any rate.
I keep hearing this, but I have to wonder...  How is it that your government can still do these things against the public's will?  There must either be something fucked up about the way your system is structured, or there are more people in support of this than one would normally assume.

Isn't it true that some of the older people in Australia favor this censorship crap?
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney
I'm not sure. To be honest I doubt it will become a fixture.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6148|'straya
The censorship idea has basically been abandoned. The government is attempting to keep face by saying they are still trying but facing technology problems... along with every other plan of this government, it will either fail or never get off the ground at all.
Turquoise
O Canada

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

The censorship idea has basically been abandoned. The government is attempting to keep face by saying they are still trying but facing technology problems... along with every other plan of this government, it will either fail or never get off the ground at all.
Well, I hope this means the next administration of your government ditches the filter and this censorship shit.

Outside of these things, your country seems to be doing well.  It would be a shame to taint things with these completely unnecessary restrictions on your freedoms.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

Turquoise wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

I keep hearing this, but I have to wonder...  How is it that your government can still do these things against the public's will?  There must either be something fucked up about the way your system is structured, or there are more people in support of this than one would normally assume.
They can do what they want until the next election, isn't that how most countries work?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

They can do what they want until the next election, isn't that how most countries work?
Well, an internet filter and the level of censorship that your ACB is apparently doing would be rather swiftly struck down as unconstitutional here.

Granted, there was a time back during the Red Scare when invasive censorship was unfortunately allowed here.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-05-13 23:05:52)

Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney
I don't think it's seriously been debated and put through the lower house.

They did some "trial" about 12-18 months ago but since then nothing's really happened.

They have been given the green light to roll out a 100Mb national broadband network though from some independant review. I guess if I were paid 25 million to do some review I'd give it the go ahead too.

In seriousness though we really need it. Abbott said he'd block such a move, why I have no idea.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

Jaekus wrote:

They did some "trial" about 12-18 months ago but since then nothing's really happened.

They have been given the green light to roll out a 100Mb national broadband network though from some independant review. I guess if I were paid 25 million to do some review I'd give it the go ahead too.

In seriousness though we really need it. Abbott said he'd block such a move, why I have no idea.
Because duplicating the Telstra network makes no sense.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney
Telstra is shit. If any further evidence is needed yesterday Optus reported much increased growth that directly contrasts Telstra's.

Speeding up net speeds by up to 100 times is a pretty good idea IMO.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Jaekus wrote:

BIG NEW TAX
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney
Big New Catch Phrase.

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-05-14 11:26:02)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard