Will post for food
+53|5183|Flying in my boxcar.
What about Dawn of War or Warcraft III?
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6597|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA

BeardedHobo wrote:

Warcraft III definitely, also Pokemon red and blue are worth mentions.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

seymorebutts443 wrote:

I would have said WoW about 2 years ago before wrath. Its way to easy now, to the point of being fucking retarded. If you want a must try game, then try EVE. A lot less easier and a lot more rewarding.
EVE is boring and is definitely not the 'must have' game from the MMO genre. it's like playing a spreadsheet with pretty colours. it's extremely niche.

yes WoW has changed a lot since release - nobody has been more annoyed by that than myself - but to a 'new' player, how do they know?

WoW is in fact designed to be best for new players now... it's relatively easy, all the content is accessible at some level or other, and every player has a place- no more elitism, no more 'out of my skill-range' and no more 'i dont have enough time to get into 'x' guild or 'y' instance'.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Nordemus
BC2 plat: CG, GL, M60, Mortar, Knife
+60|5999
WoW is much more polished now, the learning curve is not steep at all so new players get the hang of it very quickly - leveling is trivialized with addons such as Questhelper, raids offer both easy content and hard modes for those who like a challenge (which are much better than vanilla content - compare Ragnaros to Lich King HC or Yogg-Saron plus 0). PvP is not balanced, not for 1v1 atleast, RNG is a huge factor, but Cataclysm will change PvP again with rated battlegrounds, so we will have to wait. Overall I like where this game is going (even though I miss the old days of getting my epic mount and blue dungeon gear), gaming became much easier anyway, WoW is no exception. One of the problem is the community though - requiring achievements and gearscore to join pugs to name a few. I have tried several MMOs and always went back to WoW, it just has the special feeling to it.
Chou
+737|6792
San Andreas mentioned already?
With the MP mod it's fun granted.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5755|Roma
Fallout 3 is way to overated.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

Nordemus wrote:

WoW is much more polished now, the learning curve is not steep at all so new players get the hang of it very quickly - leveling is trivialized with addons such as Questhelper, raids offer both easy content and hard modes for those who like a challenge (which are much better than vanilla content - compare Ragnaros to Lich King HC or Yogg-Saron plus 0). PvP is not balanced, not for 1v1 atleast, RNG is a huge factor, but Cataclysm will change PvP again with rated battlegrounds, so we will have to wait. Overall I like where this game is going (even though I miss the old days of getting my epic mount and blue dungeon gear), gaming became much easier anyway, WoW is no exception. One of the problem is the community though - requiring achievements and gearscore to join pugs to name a few. I have tried several MMOs and always went back to WoW, it just has the special feeling to it.
yeah that's why i just transferred to Ravenholdt- really strong community, even still stage world-PvP . community is 1/2 of the MMO experience.

this video makes me lol so hard for the old times...

Last edited by Uzique (2010-05-09 13:55:11)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Nordemus
BC2 plat: CG, GL, M60, Mortar, Knife
+60|5999
Holding a funeral on a PvP realm while announcing it on the forums? They failed hard.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT
Oblivion was perhaps the only fantasy Medieval game that appealed to me. That alone is a testament to its quality.
Longbow
+163|6648|Odessa, Ukraine

nukchebi0 wrote:

Oblivion was perhaps the only fantasy Medieval game that appealed to me. That alone is a testament to its quality.
Morrowind tbh was the best SP RPG experience I ever had.

Also, add The Witcher to the list. That game is also amazing.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6567|Area 51
I liked Red Alert 3 The expansion was ridiculous though..
Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5510|America
Supreme Commander 2, Red Alert 3, and C&C: Kane's Wrath should be added under the "worth a try" section. Then again any game is worth a try.
"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6693|Devon, England
Half Life 2 was/is terrible.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
you are categorically wrong in every possible way

not sure what you want from single-player games
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York
GTA San Andreas/Vice City tbh, especially with the MTA mod. So much fun to be had.

Garry's Mod.

Company of Heroes.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470

seymorebutts443 wrote:

BeardedHobo wrote:

Warcraft III definitely, also Pokemon red and blue are worth mentions.
Red/Blue were the worst Pokemon games ever.

Gameplay was complete shit.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6577|London
Don't be sad if you weren't the right age to enjoy the zenith of the pokemon craze circa 1999.

Red/Blue > all

Back on topic, I'd second The Witcher EE
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6288|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Miggle wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Oblivion, worth buying
Never played it, Medievil games don't appeal to me....

But afaik it's very similar to a game already on the list, also made by Bethesda
Oblivion is fantasy. And it's got shitloads more depth than Fallout.

If you liked Fallout, you almost have to give Oblivion a chance. It's a far better game.
I've played oblivion for a few hours now and I've found nothing that appealed to me...

Talking, humanoid lizards & cats... wtf?

But the thing that really kills the game for me is the medieval timeperiod setting...
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
FloppY_
­

Aries_37 wrote:

Don't be sad if you weren't the right age to enjoy the zenith of the pokemon craze circa 1999.

Red/Blue > all

Back on topic, I'd second The Witcher EE
Leaf Green & Fire Red = Red & Blue with better graphics = epic

EDIT: Added "honorable mentions" category

Moved Fallout 3 to worth playing due to popular demand

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-05-10 11:01:05)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

OP: I contest your entry of RA3, C&C4 and SCdr2.

RA3 was true to the spirit of RA2's corniness, C&C4 was short but passable, and while SCdr2 wasn't as big as SCdr1, it was a decent enough stand-alone game. Of all the 'bad games' you could put up, these show your relative lack of diversity.

But for SCdr2, seriously...why couldn't we save skirmish games in progress, again?

====

Put some more work into the honorable mentions. Dig up or ask around about and try some more non-mainstream or even older titles, like Thief 2, Ascendancy, The Dig, etc.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-05-10 11:16:18)

=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6367|California
RA3 was fun for a bit
C&C4 was just terrible
FloppY_
­

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

RA3 was true to the spirit of RA2's corniness, C&C4 was short but passable, and while SCdr2 wasn't as big as SCdr1, it was a decent enough stand-alone game. Of all the 'bad games' you could put up, these show your relative lack of diversity.
RA3 lost the RA feeling in gameplay, not Cutscenes...

CNC4 was an all out terrible game, after having removed the simplicity and straight-forwardness of CNC and replaced it with RPG elements and copying a huge part of the World In Conflict style of play....

SupCom had established itself on the niché of huge RTS battles and the ability for 4 hour long matches and a tech tree leading to uber units...
SupCom2 Scrapped UberUnits for what is best compared to T3 units from SupCom1, removed the huge battles and overall became too simple for it to compete with older games like CNC3...
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
imho Half Life 1 deserves to be more on the 'Must Buy' list than anything else- not a 'honorable mention'.

you make it sound peripheral and almost secondary... it is THE genesis of PC gaming, especially FPS.

you can't play PC games without being familiar with or having played HL1->
FloppY_
­

Uzique wrote:

imho Half Life 1 deserves to be more on the 'Must Buy' list than anything else- not a 'honorable mention'.

you make it sound peripheral and almost secondary... it is THE genesis of PC gaming, especially FPS.

you can't play PC games without being familiar with or having played HL1->
True, moving it back...

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

But for SCdr2, seriously...why couldn't we save skirmish games in progress, again?

====

Put some more work into the honorable mentions. Dig up or ask around about and try some more non-mainstream or even older titles, like Thief 2, Ascendancy, The Dig, etc.
Added theif II
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
i know i keep throwing out not-too-great, casual options... but if you're trying to get a comprehensive list:

The Sims series incl. Sim City

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard