globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6336|Graz, Austria

Mekstizzle wrote:

that one bit in SP where you use the Barret .50 cal and they make you adjust for wind/drop and "Coriolis effect"
What the heck?
Coriolis effect with a super-sonic cal .50 rifle? That would be hardly observable at these short ranges.

And has that game even a compass so you know in which direction you're shooting? Otherwise it would be useless to compensate for the Coriolis effect.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6012|Vortex Ring State

globefish23 wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

that one bit in SP where you use the Barret .50 cal and they make you adjust for wind/drop and "Coriolis effect"
What the heck?
Coriolis effect with a super-sonic cal .50 rifle? That would be hardly observable at these short ranges.

And has that game even a compass so you know in which direction you're shooting? Otherwise it would be useless to compensate for the Coriolis effect.
lol... It does have a compass, he's talking about CoD4...

Although that mission is shite in terms of realism, despite what people say.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6591|Columbus, OH
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but isn't GPS off by 30 to 50 ft? So it would be an inaccurate reading to begin with.
Trotskygrad
бля

loubot wrote:

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but isn't GPS off by 30 to 50 ft? So it would be an inaccurate reading to begin with.
10-20 feet with WAAS, but that's not outside of North America. So yeah, it would be inaccurate.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6734|Sydney, Australia

loubot wrote:

Differential GPS can be accurate to the centimeter..
eleven bravo
+1,399|5272|foggy bottom
I know the gps I used in the army had a +/- of 10 meters I think it was
Tu Stultus Es
Trotskygrad
бля

eleven bravo wrote:

that's what they TOLD you....

Actually, yeah, I'm pretty sure loubot's citing civvie GPS stats, military GPS is more accurate.
dill13
+67|6206

-Sh1fty- wrote:

krazed wrote:

on a clear day it's very visible
I heard something like they can see it if they un-focus their scope or something.

Anyway, amazing shot, hell there isn't even a word for amazing enough for that shit. Imagine all the things that come into play (please tell me what I miss).

- Barrel temperature
- Distance
- Angle
- Humidity
- Resistance of bullet through air
- Wind
- Coriolis effect ?
- Air density? (Like elevation of both targets, less air at higher altitudes)

What am I missing?
your position and your targets and the rotation of the earth relative to that. and as someone else has pointed out the curvature of the earth
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6591|Columbus, OH

Trotskygrad wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

that's what they TOLD you....

Actually, yeah, I'm pretty sure loubot's citing civvie GPS stats, military GPS is more accurate.
I have worked with first-gen military grade GPS (no GUI map just long./lat. numeric coordinates) before; it was good enough to get you to the right location but not at the exact point. I would assume GPS accuracy improved over the course of time but my personal Garmn GPS leaves room of doubt
Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6540|London (At Heart)

Amazing shot, noone can deny that.

rdx-fx wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

i almost went to sniper school
I've the patience and attention to detail to be an MI geek, or an Engineer, or a designated marksman.
But not the eerie 'oh, I just spot things without thinking about it' that the snipers I've known have.

Yesterday, for example, driving down the highway at 75mph, past a field full of 30+ horses, one of the old snipers comes out with;
"Oh, there's a new colt in there"
He was the one driving.. we don't know the owners of that field.. he never appeared to look at the field other than out of the corner of his eye.. we were 40 miles and 55 miles from where we live, respectively.
He just notices things without seeming to have to work at it, or even think about it.
Meh, Only known one sniper, he be dead now =/
eleven bravo
+1,399|5272|foggy bottom

rdx-fx wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

At 2000m+ could he even see the guys in the scope? How high do you have to aim your guy? More like a low caliber mortar than a rifle
With a 25-power scope (likely the S&B 5-25x56), a target at 2500m through the 25x scope will look roughly the same size as the same object standing 100m away viewed with the unaided eye. So, yes, you can see the target, if the atmosphere is clear enough.

Not at all like a mortar.
The bullet drop at that range, using the ammo they probably used (not my 'best case scenario' ammo above), is dropping about 286 feet from initial line-of-flight.  At2500m, 286' drop = 3435" = 120MOA = 2° (roughly)

[3am here, someone else can check the math, if you really want]
if i had been a minute faster on my run time I would have gone.
Tu Stultus Es
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6510

eleven bravo wrote:

is that for the forty?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5272|foggy bottom
2 miles
Tu Stultus Es
rdx-fx
+955|6604

eleven bravo wrote:

My APFT was usually 270.  100 on the run (10:15 - 10:30), 100 on the situps, 65-70 on the pushups.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5272|foggy bottom
i always maxed push ups and sit ups.  My run was always shit.  the highest I did the run was in the mid 14's.  never scored more than 70 which always pissed me off because I would have had like a 320 or something if I had maxed the run and counted my sit ups.
Tu Stultus Es
rdx-fx
+955|6604

eleven bravo wrote:

Two signals coming from a GPS sat; C/A and P(y) signal.  C/A is the unencrypted 'less accurate' civilian data stream.  P(y) or P stream is the encryptable stream, depending on whether or not the US military wants to allow it to be used by the rest of the world, to improve the accuracy of the C/A stream.

If the secondary P(y) stream is encrypted, you need a GPS receiver loaded with the encryption fill.  i.e., a military GPS.

The other large part of the accuracy of a GPS lies within the GPS receiver itself.
To make an accurte GPS receiver, you need;
  • a precision timing circuit - to time the differences between the incoming satellite signals. Not a clock, a timing circuit.  The signal coming from the GPS is the current time, as known by the atomic clock onboard that GPS satellite.
  • a decent math processing circuit - to do Trilateration math (intersection of spheres), a little 'best fit' statistics, and a few calculus equations... oh, and a fair pile of relativistic physics (yes, 'Einstein math'. really)  Think: TI-89/TI-92 calculator circuitry.
  • proper programming of the above circuitry - to take the time differences, do all of the math properly, and in a timely manner.Doing 'analog' math on digital circuitry (relativistic physics, calculus, etc), in a real-time coding manner, on digital circuitry.. not easy.

Even if you have both the C/A and P data streams available, a cheap GPS receiver won't do the full equation sets to get a precise answer.
Both data streams and a good Receiver, and you can get down to 1m accuracy.
Both data streams, a good receiver, an onboard inertial reference system, and a precision clock with a current time-hack from the atomic clock ground station (naval observatory, as i recall) used to periodically update the GPS sats... and you can get really serious accuracy.
Fly cruise missiles down Baghdad streets, take a left turn on Saddam street, fly through a window - kinda accurate

Note: mostly from memory, so I may be a little off on a few areas.  Used wiki to remind me what the two signals were named.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5272|foggy bottom
our pluggers were 20 years old
Tu Stultus Es
rdx-fx
+955|6604

eleven bravo wrote:

i always maxed push ups and sit ups.  My run was always shit.  the highest I did the run was in the mid 14's.  never scored more than 70 which always pissed me off because I would have had like a 320 or something if I had maxed the run and counted my sit ups.
Seems like there were plenty of people in the same boat as us.  2 out of 3 scores at 100+.
Tall thin types - max run and situps, not the pushups
stout massive types - max pushups and situps, not the run

Can't think of anyone that maxed the run and pushups, but not the situps
rdx-fx
+955|6604

eleven bravo wrote:

our pluggers were 20 years old
Ours were 2 years old, 18 years ago.

But, really, the math involved hasn't changed in 80 years.
Trotskygrad
бля

rdx-fx wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Seems like there were plenty of people in the same boat as us.  2 out of 3 scores at 100+.
Tall thin types - max run and situps, not the pushups
stout massive types - max pushups and situps, not the run

Can't think of anyone that maxed the run and pushups, but not the situps
anyone care to explain how this is scored to me?
rdx-fx
+955|6604

Trotskygrad wrote:

anyone care to explain how this is scored to me?
3 parts to the test; Pushups, Situps, and 2 mile Run.

Your raw scores are;
number of correct pushups you do in two minutes, without taking a rest or breaking form,
number of correct situps you do in two minutes, without taking a rest or breaking form,
amount of time it take you to run 2 miles.

Your points score is found by referencing your three raw scores against your age and sex.

Example;
Say you are a 22 year old male, did 50 push ups, 80 sit ups, and ran the 2 mile course in 10 minutes 15 seconds (10:15)
  • On the pushup chart, find the column for age. In this case, 22-26
  • Find the subcolumn for sex, in this case M (for Mondays)
  • Find the row corresponding to your raw score, 50 push ups for this example
  • The intersection between row and column is your points score, a score of 71 is correct in this example (not 31. If you got 31 for a score, you're reversing the raw score and points score)
  • The final score for this example APFT would be (Raw 50 PU, 80SU, 10:15 2M = Scores 71 PU + 100 SU + 100 2M = 271)

https://www.pitt.edu/~armyrotc/APFTpushups.gif
https://www.pitt.edu/~armyrotc/APFTsitups.gif
https://www.pitt.edu/~armyrotc/APFT2mr.gif
*DD*Slug
+2|6721

Cybargs wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

Aimbot tbh.

Anyways... Enlighten me to why the Household Cavalry is called that.
Their job is to guard members of the royal family afiaik. Hence the name "Household." Pretty much secret service/military regiment. Elite motherfuckers too.
I'm joining the Household Cavalry, start basic in August.
They're the cavalry regiment of the Household Division (Household Div consisting of all the guards regiments, ie. footguards, etc.) ceremonially they operate in Knightsbridge, London where they carry out mounted and dismounted guard at Whitehall, the entrance to St James park, which is pretty much the front lawn of Buckingham palace. They also guard the Queen on state visits, Trooping the Colour, State opening of Parliament, etc. The tradition of the Household Cavalry guarding the monarch dates back 350 years.

Operationally, they are a Formation Recconaissance regiment, using vehicles such as he Scimitar CVR(t) and Jackal, operating forward of the front line. They also carry out the recce role on foot.

Yep, you could say I know about my future regiment

edited to add: Not secret service at all.. Only thing 'secret' is being sneaky when out on recce ops.

Last edited by *DD*Slug (2010-05-13 03:27:28)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6119|eXtreme to the maX

*DD*Slug wrote:

I'm joining the Household Cavalry, start basic in August.
They're the cavalry regiment of the Household Division (Household Div consisting of all the guards regiments, ie. footguards, etc.) ceremonially they operate in Knightsbridge, London where they carry out mounted and dismounted guard at Whitehall, the entrance to St James park, which is pretty much the front lawn of Buckingham palace. They also guard the Queen on state visits, Trooping the Colour, State opening of Parliament, etc. The tradition of the Household Cavalry guarding the monarch dates back 350 years.
This is your future.
https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/Dilbert_X/Pelos2.jpg
Teddy bear belongs to my ex-gf.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
*DD*Slug
+2|6721
That's not my future at all. That's a foot guard, I'll be mounted

[img]http://imagebank.ipcmedia.com/imageBank/c/Cavalry_57_CM_HR.jpg[/img]

Far superior to any foot guards regiment!
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6513|so randum
one thing for the brits, they have fucking ace ceramonial uniforms
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard