Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
A BRITISH army sniper has set a new sharpshooting distance record by killing two Taliban machinegunners in Afghanistan from more than 2.4km away.
Craig Harrison, a member of the Household Cavalry, killed the insurgents with consecutive shots - even though they were more than 900m beyond the most effective range of his rifle. "The first round hit a machinegunner in the stomach and killed him outright," said Harrison, a Corporal of Horse.

"He went straight down and didn't move. The second insurgent grabbed the weapon and turned as my second shot hit him in the side. He went down, too. They were both dead."

The shooting, which took place while Harrison's colleagues came under attack, was at such extreme range that the 8.59mm bullets took almost three seconds to reach their target.

The distance to Harrison's two targets was measured by a GPS system at 2475m. The previous record for a sniper "kill" is 2430m, set by a Canadian soldier who shot dead an al-Qa'ida gunman in March 2002.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
In a remarkable tour of duty, Harrison cheated death a few weeks later when a Taliban bullet pierced his helmet but was deflected from his skull. He later broke both arms when his army vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb. Harrison was sent back to Britain for treatment, but insisted on returning to the front after making a full recovery.

Harrison, from Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, was reunited in Britain with his family last month. Recalling his shooting prowess in Helmand province, he said: "It was just unlucky for the Taliban that conditions were so good and we could see them so clearly."

Harrison and his colleagues were in open-topped Jackal 4x4 vehicles providing cover for an Afghan national army patrol south of Musa Qala in November last year. When the Afghan soldiers and Harrison's troop commander came under enemy fire, the sniper trained his sights on a Taliban compound in the distance. His L115A3 long-range rifle, the army's most powerful sniper weapon, is designed to be effective at up to 1500m and supposedly capable of only "harassing fire" beyond that range.

"We saw two insurgents running through its courtyard, one in a black dishdasha, one in green," he said. "They came forward carrying a PKM machinegun, set it up and opened fire on the commander's wagon.

"Conditions were perfect, no wind, mild weather, clear visibility. I rested the bipod of my weapon on a compound wall and aimed for the gunner firing the machinegun.

"The driver of my Jackal, Trooper Cliff O'Farrell, spotted for me, providing all the information needed for the shot, which was at the extreme range of the weapon." Harrison killed one machinegunner with his first attempt and felled the other with his next shot. He then let off a final round to knock the enemy weapon out of action.

Harrison discovered he had set a new record only on his return to British barracks nine days ago. The previous record was held by Corporal Rob Furlong, of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, who was using a 12.7mm McMillan rifle.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/wo … 5861292061

Not bad, two consecutive shots beat the previous record.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
BVC
+325|6665
Accuracy International huh...
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

A marine could do a lot better
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Macbeth wrote:

Yeah but this dude is in the fucking HOUSEHOLD CAVALRY.

Commonwealth snipers ftw.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ruisleipa
+149|6192|teh FIN-land

Macbeth wrote:

so why hasn't he ya troll?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

Good on him.

I think the more amazing part is that his third shot took out the gun...which is a harder (smaller) target to hit than a man.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

FEOS wrote:

Good on him.

I think the more amazing part is that his third shot took out the gun...which is a harder (smaller) target to hit than a man.
That's more than slightly incredible from 2500m.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6100|Carnoustie MASSIF
That's incredible. Imagine the variables at that distance, and 3 second flight time? That's insane.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Even more astonishing is that he was aiming for an insurgent 50ft away from these two guys.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6601|Finland

I wonder if the sound of the first shot had reached target before the second one was fired?

2 475 / 340.29 = 7.3 seconds for the sound of the first shot to reach the target, 4.3 seconds after it hit.
I need around tree fiddy.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6597|UK
I don't think I'd want to be named in the press for something like this.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
I like the humility of the soldier, chalking it down to perfect conditions and even saying that the Taliban were unlucky lol. If it was someone else they'd probably just talk about how awesome they and their weapons are
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

AussieReaper wrote:

Even more astonishing is that he was aiming for an insurgent 50ft away from these two guys.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
ruisleipa
+149|6192|teh FIN-land

AussieReaper wrote:

hahahaha
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney

DonFck wrote:

I wonder if the sound of the first shot had reached target before the second one was fired?

2 475 / 340.29 = 7.3 seconds for the sound of the first shot to reach the target, 4.3 seconds after it hit.
That's awesome.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Neat.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jaekus wrote:

DonFck wrote:

That's awesome.
Except the supersonic crack of the bullet travels with the bullet - at least until it goes subsonic.
The sound of the discharge would take that long though, but at 2400m would not be very loud.

It will be interesting to see if this is verified, even with custom ammo thats well beyond the supersonic range of the cartridge.

Otherwise damn fine shooting.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-05-05 05:49:56)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

DonFck wrote:

That's awesome.
Except the supersonic crack of the bullet travels with the bullet - at least until it goes subsonic.
The sound of the discharge would take that long though, but at 2400m would not be very loud.

It will be interesting to see if this is verified, even with custom ammo thats well beyond the supersonic range of the cartridge.

Your rational science has shattered my childlike wonder
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

DonFck wrote:

That's awesome.

yeah i was going to say - supersonic speeds.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6601|Finland

Jaekus wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

That's awesome.

Your rational science has shattered my childlike wonder
I wouldn't say so.

IMO a sonic boom caused by a bullet is pretty miniscule and the actual sound sound of a large calibre sniper rifle fired (for instance) would be the loudest sound you hear in this context, it's also the sound that occurs at the sonic boom as the speed of sound is broken immediately when the bullet is exiting the barrel. Right?

Hence, while a bullet in itself doesn't create sound after being fired, it doesn't produce the same crack sound following it as E.g. fighter jets which have a loud engine noise that create the crack-sound following closely behind them.

So as you would hear a small sound from the bullet (as you do with any object moving through the air fast enough), the only larger sound you would hear would be the gun going off 2,5 kilometers away, 4 seconds after the bullet hit.

Also, the bullet probably isn't supersonic for even 500 m?

Is this going to go "airplane on a treadmill" on us?
I need around tree fiddy.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

DonFck wrote:

I wouldn't say so.

IMO a sonic boom caused by a bullet is pretty miniscule and the actual sound sound of a large calibre sniper rifle fired (for instance) would be the loudest sound you hear in this context, it's also the sound that occurs at the sonic boom as the speed of sound is broken immediately when the bullet is exiting the barrel. Right?

Hence, while a bullet in itself doesn't create sound after being fired, it doesn't produce the same crack sound following it as E.g. fighter jets which have a loud engine noise that create the crack-sound following closely behind them.

So as you would hear a small sound from the bullet (as you do with any object moving through the air fast enough), the only larger sound you would hear would be the gun going off 2,5 kilometers away, 4 seconds after the bullet hit.
I assure you, the sonic boom of a bullet going over your head is pretty donfckn loud - to the point you need ear-plugs if you do it a lot.
The report of the gunpowder - which is simply another sonic boom caused by the supersonic propellant gases leaving the barrel - is loud when you're next to it but not significant from 1000m away.

.338 Lapua can be supersonic up to 1800m depending on the weather and the ammo.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-05-05 06:07:26)

steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6351|the land of bourbon
markman headshot +2475  i call hax.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6100|Carnoustie MASSIF

Mekstizzle wrote:

I like the humility of the soldier, chalking it down to perfect conditions and even saying that the Taliban were unlucky lol. If it was someone else they'd probably just talk about how awesome they and their weapons are
what you meant to say was:

'if it was an American they'd probably just talk about how awesome they and their weapons are'
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire

CammRobb wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

what you meant to say was:

'if it was an American they'd probably just talk about how awesome they and their weapons are'
probably..especially a marine
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6455|England
Be the Best

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard