FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6507|so randum

justice wrote:

Yep, flying for the military is a much better route with better career prospects.
otoh its arguably even harder short term. iirc the pilots have 12yr min service, so you have to be sure you're going where you want to be.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6199|Roma

justice wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

dream job my ass.  although if you fly for one of these airlines owned by the state or just recently owned by the state....or pampered by the state (cough air canada cough)....then yes.  other than that fuck it.  still would do it all over again but wouldnt call it a dream job.
still is over here m8, they get payed a shit-ton. if you get on BA doing the transatlantics or pacific routes, you're golden.
BA haven't hired low houred cadets for the last 5 years, and plan to never again, it takes at least 15 years of flying for shit low cost carriers before you're at the stage to be hired by BA or Virgin, and even then to land a job with them you have to be extremely lucky and you have to know certain people....and then if you take the job, you are demoted from captain to junior first officer, and have to wait another 15 years before you can finally become a captain on a wide body, at which point yes the pay becomes good.
BA recently said they were looking to start recruiting cadets as soon as next summer.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6748|OctoLand

PrivateVendetta wrote:

justice wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

still is over here m8, they get payed a shit-ton. if you get on BA doing the transatlantics or pacific routes, you're golden.
BA haven't hired low houred cadets for the last 5 years, and plan to never again, it takes at least 15 years of flying for shit low cost carriers before you're at the stage to be hired by BA or Virgin, and even then to land a job with them you have to be extremely lucky and you have to know certain people....and then if you take the job, you are demoted from captain to junior first officer, and have to wait another 15 years before you can finally become a captain on a wide body, at which point yes the pay becomes good.
BA recently said they were looking to start recruiting cadets as soon as next summer.
Where did you hear that? As far as I'm aware, BA said they MIGHT consider hiring pilots in the middle of next year.

That's pilots, pilots with thousands of hours of experience, I don't see them hiring cadets in the foreseeable future myself.

BA do pluck the occasional cadet with perfect test scores and first-series passes every now and then, for example they might go to OAA (oxford aviation) and take 1 or 2 a year, but I don't think they will advertise for cadets again.
I know fucking karate
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6199|Roma

justice wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

justice wrote:

Where did you hear that? As far as I'm aware, BA said they MIGHT consider hiring pilots in the middle of next year.

That's pilots, pilots with thousands of hours of experience, I don't see them hiring cadets in the foreseeable future myself.

BA do pluck the occasional cadet with perfect test scores and first-series passes every now and then, for example they might go to OAA (oxford aviation) and take 1 or 2 a year, but I don't think they will advertise for cadets again.
I understood that they don't advertise for cadets much, they have 3-4 approved flight schools they go to, to get their cadets.
A guy on my course went to the flyer flight training exhibition in London the other month where BA were speaking.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6748|OctoLand
Oh OK, well I hope that holds true for the cadets sake, since they're spending 80k + on an integrated course.
I know fucking karate
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

well needless to say i screamed a lot and called my family a bunch of fucking losers

they just didnt understand man, you know? it was painful. i didnt speak for 4 years because of piloting and nietzsche. fucking nietzsche. i didnt even like his dumb book.
Wow, I blubbed for about half an hour (epic astigmatim FTW) and picked something else.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6121|SC | USA |
You also see a lot of air force pilots transferring into commercial is for the retirement benefits.

Usually a pilot will retire at ~20 years (usually a colonel) and retire from the commercial lines in another ~20 years (making him ~62)

Air force retirement pay + commercial retirement pay = win
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6545|Long Island, New York
I was on my way to my private pilot's license until I started having heart problems in october. Then they faded... and as of the last 2 months they've come back, so it doesn't look like it's happening. It's unfortunate but I'm going into Law anyways, and I've wanted to do that a lot longer than I've wanted to be a pilot.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard