-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5475|Ventura, California
I'd really like to go on a vacation to some Asian place. I'm thinking tropical, paradise sort of thing. Hawaii doesn't cut it.  You've got all those far East islands that are nice. What do you guys think of the Philippines?

How much would a flight from LA cost there and back? Or like to the Maldives or something. Is it expensive?

I don't like the idea of very touristic typical rich person tropical island. I have some friends from there in LA and they say it's beautiful there.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/images/04_06/palawan.jpg

Last edited by -Sh1fty- (2010-05-03 12:59:29)

And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum
theres this thing called google
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I wasn't just asking the price.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6367|California
Depends where your flying from, I've been to China 3 times, once was from SF Int and the other LAX, other i was too young to remember, but it cost me $6,000 to fly out of LAX to China for 2 weeks, with a lot of private accesses to museums and monuments and stuff like that in July 2009.
edit: but it'll probably be cheaper to go to the phillies maybe $1,000 for two weeks or more?

Last edited by =NHB=Shadow (2010-05-03 13:10:58)

Brasso
+1,549|6632

been there like 4 times, my parents grew up there.

you'll get to see the real shit in the philippines - both actual third world conditions and extreme natural beauty.  make sure you go to el nido if you can afford it.  (that picture you posted looks like el nido alright)

HOT AS FUCK.  the only place hotter that i've been to is thailand.

edit: also if you have any questions i guess i can ask my relatives, pretty much all of them live there.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2010-05-03 13:15:58)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557
Some lads at work got sent to the Phillipines on a junket. They said it is the dumpiest dump they have ever had the misfortune of stepping foot in.
Brasso
+1,549|6632

CameronPoe wrote:

Some lads at work got sent to the Phillipines on a junket. They said it is the dumpiest dump they have ever had the misfortune of stepping foot in.
awww poor them, better stick to cancun and the grand oasis hotel!
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6000|Vortex Ring State
Niue tbh
bennisboy
+829|6647|Poundland
More than you can afford at the grand old age of 14
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6579|Columbus, OH
you*re too white! You will get kidnapped and we'll have to come rescue you, so NOOOOOOO!!!!
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6367|California

haffeysucks wrote:

you'll get to see the real shit in the philippines - both actual third world conditions and extreme natural beauty.  make sure you go to el nido if you can afford it.  (that picture you posted looks like el nido alright)

edit: also if you have any questions i guess i can ask my relatives, pretty much all of them live there.
probably not as bad as china with 100% humidity cause of the smog
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
Advice based on real life experience: Fuck the "real" side of a tropical country. Go for the resorts with their guarded beaches and topless sunbathing tourists.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

Best time to go is really the weeks around Christmas and New Year.  Best time, weather wise.  But also the most expensive.  Can't say from the East Coast, but from SoCal, $1400-$1800 coach, depending on airline and final destination.  Best if you know locals though, just like any third world country.  Once you are there, expense vary.  Hilton relative quality hotels will still cost you $150'ish a night, but resort places like your pic are actually cheaper.
Brasso
+1,549|6632

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

probably not as bad as china with 100% humidity cause of the smog
been there, done that
firebolt5
+114|6156

haffeysucks wrote:

I remember when I visited my relatives there when I was little.  The one big thing I remembered was a flood.

Last edited by firebolt5 (2010-05-03 15:39:24)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

Superior Mind wrote:

Advice based on real life experience: Fuck the "real" side of a tropical country. Go for the resorts with their guarded beaches and topless sunbathing tourists.
Yeah but isn't that freaking expensive?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Relative to typical resorts like Sandals or Hawaii, not really.  Airfare will probably be the single most costly expenditure, unless you plan to go during monsoon season.

Go with locals to minimize the boat tour return trip "surcharge".
lrishpride
+68|5149
I went on a trip to the Philippines 3 years ago. It was awesome but very costly, I think it cost €4,000 altogether. We went for a month though...
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Consider this: I went to the Dominican Republic for 4 days and 5 nights, all inclusive drinks, food, water sports, night club, etc. for ~$1000
I also got to experience the real side of the nation and I wish I just stayed on the bloody resort.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

I think Sh1fty might be thinking about the red light district.  Massage parlors, karaoke bars, etc.  I personally recommend the high class ones in Makati.   And full body massages are super cheap.  You could literary go every day and not break the bank.  Even the ones at the malls for complete spa treatments.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

Ilocano wrote:

I think Sh1fty might be thinking about the red light district.  Massage parlors, karaoke bars, etc.  I personally recommend the high class ones in Makati.   And full body massages are super cheap.  You could literary go every day and not break the bank.  Even the ones at the malls for complete spa treatments.
I was thinking...

Waking up in the morning in a little nice hut and opening the window seeing the beautiful beach and clear water.

Without going bankrupt. I'm sure you can get a flight there from LA for 1k$. Then expenses there shouldn't be a problem.

So the Dominican republic is nice huh?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

I was thinking...

Waking up in the morning in a little nice hut and opening the window seeing the beautiful beach and clear water.

Without going bankrupt. I'm sure you can get a flight there from LA for 1k$. Then expenses there shouldn't be a problem.

There are much nicer places in the Caribbean.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

I was thinking...

Most of the year in Philippines is hot and humid.  Don't even consider going there during what we consider the summer here in the US.  Then you have the rainy season.  Rain everyday, sometimes continuous for hours, others sporadic.  The rain is warm and refreshing, but it'll ruin your outings.  Only real time you should go to enjoy your beautiful beach is December and January.

As for Central America, consider Costa Rica.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
My brother has been to Thailand 4 times and says it's an amazing place - and it's so cheap to do stuff.
You can live like a king and it'll cost you next to nothing (relatively). There's also a lot to see and explore, a lot of history and some really nice people.

I had planned to go mid this year but things changed and I'll have to put it off till probably next year.

Other places friends have visited who came back rating them highly were Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Bali and Singapore.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Well my friends went to the Philippines, and I still have some friends there (met them in Ventura, CA) they say the Philippines rocks. And it's cheap...so...

I donno

I've always wanted to visit there. I'm sure there's nicer.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard