Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

JohnG@lt wrote:

If you don't produce proof, is the cop supposed to take your word on it?
In Britain, yes.
Why should someone be prosecuted for not having a piece of paper in their pocket exactly?
So much for freedom eh?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

In Britain, yes.
Why should someone be prosecuted for not having a piece of paper in their pocket exactly?
So much for freedom eh?
"No officer, I'm not stealing this TV, I'm borrowing it from my friend" would be a good enough answer for your police? No wonder your crime rates are ridiculous.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

In Britain, yes.
So much for freedom eh?
"No officer, I'm not stealing this TV, I'm borrowing it from my friend" would be a good enough answer for your police? No wonder your crime rates are ridiculous.
I thought we were talking about ID, not stealing TVs.

If an officer believes a crime is being committed he can go ahead and arrest, or are you saying people should carry a proof of purchase for every item they have on them, TV, clothes, shoes, mobile, ipod etc and the Police should automatically arrest anyone who doesn't have all the paperwork?

You don't seem so keen on freedom after all.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-04-30 08:01:48)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

In Britain, yes.
So much for freedom eh?
I thought we were talking about ID, not stealing TVs.

If an officer believes a crime is being committed he can go ahead and arrest, or are you saying people should carry a proof of purchase for every item they have on them, TV, clothes, shoes, mobile, ipod etc and the Police should automatically arrest anyone who doesn't have all the paperwork?

You don't seem so keen on freedom after all.
Being in this country illegally is... illegal. So is stealing a TV.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But walking along the street carrying a tv is not a crime.
Same as walking along the street without a piece of paper in your pocket.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

So you don't think it's ok for a cop to ask a person carrying a tv down the street where it came from? What if it's in a high crime area known for tv theft?
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5671|College Park, MD

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

The difference is driving or just walking around.
what she said. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Anyway, I'm required by law to carry my green card on me so this isn't anything new. I still don't like it though.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

So you don't think it's ok for a cop to ask a person carrying a tv down the street where it came from? What if it's in a high crime area known for tv theft?
Did I say that? No I didn't.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

jesus christ....I love this liberal attitude where common sense plays no part in life in any capacity.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

lowing wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

jesus christ....I love this liberal attitude where common sense plays no part in life in any capacity.
Good point, members of the public should just shoot people dead if they see them carrying TVs, no need to involve the Police in the first place.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

In Britain, yes.
So much for freedom eh?
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Good point, members of the public should just shoot people dead if they see them carrying TVs, no need to involve the Police in the first place.
Well, don't remember saying anything about shooting people running down the street with TV's, or suspected illegals stopped by the police for that matter. Adjust your argument to get into the realms of reality then get back with me and explain where common sense has abandoned you.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6665|NJ
I said it before in the other thread, but why don't we treat the illegal problem like prostitution?

You see the workers on the side of the road, you send a person to pick them up. Negotiate price then wham, ask for proof if they're citizen. We arrest Hard Working Legal woman citizens for this, is that criminal as well?
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6713|Reality
I don't have a problem with having to have ID. As you mentioned, John, we all tend to have several forms of ID in the normal course of a day. Usually we drive everywhere so we tend to have ID.

The fucking problem is why you have to produce said ID for verification. In all the examples you provided, John, either the user initiated an action like opening an account or did something wrong like speeding. However, you could be walking down the street minding your own business and get stopped because you happen to look Hispanic? This law is a bigot's wet dream. God help you if the bigot has a badge.

Any non white individual might be stopped to prove the citizenship. No probable cause other than how you look. Even a 6 year old can see the parallel with what Dilbert posted. If you had the so-called Jewish nose back then you have to prove you weren't a Jew. Hell they even made people drop their pants to check for circumcisions. All because of how they looked. How would you feel, John, if the police stopped you on the sidewalk for an ID check? How about the 10th time? The hundredth? If you say it is all right, then what other freedoms are you willing to give up for the sake of security?

This abortion of a law won't last. Not in the litigious arena of American society.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Stubbee wrote:

I don't have a problem with having to have ID. As you mentioned, John, we all tend to have several forms of ID in the normal course of a day. Usually we drive everywhere so we tend to have ID.

The fucking problem is why you have to produce said ID for verification. In all the examples you provided, John, either the user initiated an action like opening an account or did something wrong like speeding. However, you could be walking down the street minding your own business and get stopped because you happen to look Hispanic? This law is a bigot's wet dream. God help you if the bigot has a badge.

Any non white individual might be stopped to prove the citizenship. No probable cause other than how you look. Even a 6 year old can see the parallel with what Dilbert posted. If you had the so-called Jewish nose back then you have to prove you weren't a Jew. Hell they even made people drop their pants to check for circumcisions. All because of how they looked. How would you feel, John, if the police stopped you on the sidewalk for an ID check? How about the 10th time? The hundredth? If you say it is all right, then what other freedoms are you willing to give up for the sake of security?

This abortion of a law won't last. Not in the litigious arena of American society.
If they had an issue with illegal immigration for people of Swedish and German decent in the area and I was asked to produce ID, sure it would be annoying, but I wouldn't really have a problem with it. It takes 10 seconds to pull out my ID. What they need to do is manufacture one of those mobile ID card scanner things they have at bars now. Instead of the cop taking your ID to his car and calling it in, he just scans it
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

70% of Americans...

1002 people polled.

fail poll is fail.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/127598/Ameri … n-Law.aspx

~1000 people is a pretty standard number used for polls, it gets you the ~3-5% error you usually see.

---

There is a fine line between enforcing immigration laws to prevent a huge influx of people and nativist shit disguised as immigration enforcement. It's going to be veeeeery difficult for a law that allows police to stop people under "reasonable" circumstances to make them prove their citizenship to walk that line.
Great, I understand that.  It doesn't represent 70% of Americans.  That's my point. I guess I didn't make it clear enough?

70% of Americans

1002 people polled ~ .0003% of Americans.  Great sample size.

The only worthwhile thing this poll represents is Gallup's ability to poll people.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6665|NJ
Is there anything wrong with my suggestion?

cause honestly any legal citizen isn't standing outside of home depot looking for work?

Simply plan, Simply none discriminative action, will curb immigration and everyone can be happy..

When something is so simply in front of your face, it's usually a simple fix to curb both sides..

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2010-04-30 09:50:05)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard