SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6152|North Tonawanda, NY

BN wrote:

The Comanche would be great if you were fighting a conventional army.
You know, this argument comes up all the time.  Who needs the F22?  The wars of today are counter-insurgencies and the F22 is overkill for that purpose.  The problem is...the hardware of today will be there to fight the wars of tomorrow (20+ years from now)--and no one knows what those will be.  It could very well be conventional, and in that case, you'll want technology on your side.  Of course, a balance must be struck on practical and fiscal terms.
pace51
Boom?
+194|5195|Markham, Ontario

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I think you should provide more details about the (available) reasons for cancellation in your OP to give people more to discuss than simple yes/no responses.
Dont ban me, this isnt an atttempt to spam RWF. It's just the only resources I have at hand to give you.

Thurs. May 20/10                                Pace51

Real world facts about the RAH-66 Comanche

Max. Speed: 198 MpH
Powered by: Dual LHTEC T800-801 Engines
Armament: 20mm cannon, Hellfire missiles, rockets, and Stinger missiles.
Manufactured by: Boeing/Sikorsky
Maiden flight: January the 4th, 1996.

The RAH-66 is a remarkable helicopter. Built exclusively for attacking and reconnaissance, it would have performed admirably at both of these roles. Also, it was a Stealth Helicopter. Unfortunately, due to high costs and some delays, the Comanche was cancelled in 2004 but its prototype was truly remarkable. However, the army is going to use an ARH-70 version for armed reconnaissance.

The original prototype was first unveiled in 25 may 1995. With its powerful engines, it can maintain a speed allowing it to keep up with the Apache Longbow helicopter. Its airframe is completely constructed out of composite material. Also, it doesn’t stand out during the night or in bad visibility conditions, making it hard to spot. It was designed so that radar, acoustic and infrared sensors would not be able to locate it. Since it was designed to carry out air combat, light attack and armed recon missions, these were incredibly useful features indeed. It was intended to replace the OH-58 Kiowa Warrior and the AH-64 Apache.

The original deliveries were supposed to arrive in 2006 and the full production was supposed to be reached by 2010. However, the program endured year after year of turbulence, and struggled to maintain its own funding. In 2004, sadly, the army cancelled further research and development of the RAH-66 helicopters.However, the US military said that they would now use the funds that were going to be used to wards the Comanche to modernize other helicopters of their aging fleet. So instead of buying the new Comanche, the military will update their current helicopters, and buy more. The helicopters that are going to be modernized as include the following:

AH-64 Apache- Will be updated
UH-60 Blackhawk- 796 additional ones have been bought and all have been updated
CH-47 Chinook- Will be updated

The ARH-70 will replace the bell OH-48 kiowa warriors, so the program isn’t totally gone, We will still see some stealth helicopters out there! The program for the AH-66 was cancelled after 22 years and 6.9 billion dollars. It had reserved 14.6 billion dollars to buy 121 Comanche helicopters, but now this money will be used to update the modern helicopters and buy more.

It was supposed to be the Army’s next generation helicopter, and was also the first helicopter to be developed for armed reconnaissance. The crew members would sit in tandem, one behind the other with the gunner in front and pilot in back. The cockpit was fully integrated with the latest in technology and surveillance gear. The main rotor was 5 bladed and bearing less. Also, the tail rotor sat surrounded by a metal shroud for protection. There was also a low-radar cross-section fuselage featuring a retractable weapons pylon and a fly by wire system. The television sensors were both forward-looking infrared and image intensified so that the helicopter could acquire targets easier with the added bonus of being able to handle bad conditions, rough weather, or night missions.

Celebrity Appearances: It was featured in Command and Conquer generals along with other advanced aircraft.

PS You asked for this...

Last edited by pace51 (2010-07-07 18:14:11)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5496|Ventura, California
5th generation? Wat...

What were the first major differences?
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6743|Sydney, Australia
oh look, it's RWF.. i'm going to kick this down to EE..
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6490

-Sh1fty- wrote:

5th generation? Wat...

Fifth could support 3D graphics and environments.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6600|Columbus, OH
I have been away for a while so kindly remind me where do I enter YES and click on SUBMIT?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5281|foggy bottom

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

5th generation? Wat...

and wi-fi
Tu Stultus Es
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6490

eleven bravo wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

5th generation? Wat...

and wi-fi
Yeah, but online features weren't widely implemented until the sixth.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5281|foggy bottom
should have gone with blu ray instead of hd dvd
Tu Stultus Es
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5608

Looks like a heli from a sci fi movie which is
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6600|Columbus, OH
I herd Apple and the U.S. Army were arguing over the licensing fee for the IPod connector. Newer generations of helios will have to contend with iTouch and iPad debacles.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6794|PNW

Merged Comanche thread. Needed sources cited, tbh.

King_County_Downy wrote:

ugh. I think the people have spoken. Sorry pace but real world facts just doesn't do it for most people here. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that this kind of is "the real" world. I dunno... I hate seeing you flamed so much. It was a brilliant effort.
I think it's more the fact that they mostly seemed to people like random regurgitations of wikipedia articles with credit only given to sources if requested (or not at all, even if asked for).
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6619|Seattle

Re-opened as request

Please cite any and  all sources.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5608

Do a RWF about something other than planes.

I'll give you a topic and you can write a RWF about it. Sound good Pace?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6492
this is like the 10th thread in 2-3 days that has been locked and re-opened within the hour...

don't you guys consult one another?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6619|Seattle

Uzique wrote:

this is like the 10th thread in 2-3 days that has been locked and re-opened within the hour...

We try our hardest not to.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6759|Oxferd Ohire

King_County_Downy wrote:

Uzique wrote:

this is also since the au chats debate started.. see what you did aussies
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6533|Gold Coast
Not my fault.

On topic:
Although the Comanche is pretty badass, its recon role was pretty much made redundant because of the UAV program, which I think is a much better method of doing recon.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5496|Ventura, California

eleven bravo wrote:

and wi-fi
Yeah, but online features weren't widely implemented until the sixth.
I liked how you could multi-task in the sixth. /wat

Guess I'll have to Google it like the rest of the world.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6743|Sydney, Australia

King_County_Downy wrote:

Uzique wrote:

You sure that's our official position?

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6522|so randum
who requested for this to be re-opened
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5259|Cleveland, Ohio

FatherTed wrote:

who requested for this to be re-opened
a mod looking for some fun......
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6695|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
I came here to answer imo Pace's well constructed and thought out question.

I believe RAH-66 Comanche should of been brought in to service as I feel it plays a vital roll in battlefields and is a sexy lil helicopter.  It carrys a good payload and is easy to fly, for an experienced pilot of course.

The Rah-66 is remarkable imo.  I almost bought Command & Conquer just to use that chopper but in the end opted for Football Manager 2007 so I could try and get Cardiff City into the Premiership, thats one of the few things I regret in my life.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6738

1927 wrote:

I came here to answer imo Pace's well constructed and thought out question.

I believe RAH-66 Comanche should of been brought in to service as I feel it plays a vital roll in battlefields and is a sexy lil helicopter.  It carrys a good payload and is easy to fly, for an experienced pilot of course.

The Rah-66 is remarkable imo.  I almost bought Command & Conquer just to use that chopper but in the end opted for Football Manager 2007 so I could try and get Cardiff City into the Premiership, thats one of the few things I regret in my life.
They canceled it because UAV's came into play. Cheaper to build and same purpose too.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6695|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Well I think that decision stank.  The RAH-66 looks like a helicopter every young boy like myself wants to play with.  When you buy a remote control mutha fucker this is what they tend to base their designs on.  The reason being the rear whirley/spinney round thing is kind of caged/housed in if you get me, fairy unique I reckon.  Stupid fucking UAV's, this was and still is one of my fav choppers, I reckon its a bad ass mo fo.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard