Mitch
16 more years
+877|6517|South Florida
My boss for example, is a loud-talking, assertive, confident, loud-mouthed person.
However, he is not an asshole, he is not annoying, nor is he any of the negative things you would normally imagine when thinking of a loud-mouthed person.

I am very talkative, outgoing, and a good conversationalist (im a door to door salesman so of coarse), but i feel i lack the loud-ness and assertiveness of a leader.

Can anyone recommend any books or other resources for becoming a more assertive person, without coming off as an asshole or cocky?

I need to learn to be assertive without sounding 'bossy'

Last edited by Mitch (2010-04-23 20:05:30)

15 more years! 15 more years!
tuckergustav
+1,590|5905|...

Mitch wrote:

My boss for example, is a loud-talking, assertive, confident, loud-mouthed person.
However, he is not an asshole, he is not annoying, nor is he any of the negative things you would normally imagine when thinking of a loud-mouthed person.

I am very talkative, outgoing, and a good conversationalist (im a door to door salesman so of coarse), but i feel i lack the loud-ness and assertiveness of a leader.

Can anyone recommend any books or other resources for becoming a more assertive person, without coming off as an asshole or cocky?

What do you sell d2d?  I use to canvas for an environmental org...yay hippies.  Anyways, some people just have that natural charisma...why not just talk to your boss...if he really is a good leader, then he shouldn't have a problem being your mentor.   It will also show initiative on your part. BONUS!
Marlo Stanfield
online poker tax cheating
+122|5154
you can't become a leader through a book
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6517|South Florida

tuckergustav wrote:

Mitch wrote:

What do you sell d2d?  I use to canvas for an environmental org...yay hippies.  Anyways, some people just have that natural charisma...why not just talk to your boss...if he really is a good leader, then he shouldn't have a problem being your mentor.   It will also show initiative on your part. BONUS!
Yeah hes a very good mentor because he is very good at sales thats why hes a manager. I sell for Verizon Fios but the company i work for is a sales company
15 more years! 15 more years!
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6520|Global Command
It takes time and experience.
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

ATG wrote:

It takes time and experience.

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

you can't become a leader through a book
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD
Carry a gun

Also go to Toastmasters groups.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Marlo Stanfield
online poker tax cheating
+122|5154
Get implants.

Wear Makeup.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6656|NT, like Mick Dundee

Join the army...

Also why the fuck is there a facebook like button on my forums?
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

Flecco wrote:

Join the army...

https://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?{\color{red}%20\exists%20}news forum.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD

Flecco wrote:

Join the army...

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=137092
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
chittydog
less busy
+586|6826|Kubra, Damn it!

Loudness doesn't make you any better of a leader. In fact, people frequently substitute volume for value. They get loud because they know they're full of shit and are trying to appear confident. Not all the time, some people are just loud, but a lot of the time. Make yourself believe in what you're doing, and you'll naturally become more assertive since you'll realize what it means.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6706|US
Volume is only a tool.  Sometimes it is a good one, but other times it will backfire. 
Assertiveness stemms from the importance you place on a topic and practice.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
Loud is not always good, in fact I can't think of a good, loud leader that I've worked with.
Loud works in groups but leaders have to be able to work face to face too.

Being assertive without being an ass takes practice, you just have to try it and do it.
Charisma and honesty work way better than threats and yelling.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-04-24 06:55:16)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
fairplay i hate that book-industry of self-help and guidance

if you cant develop it in yourself, some fake-tanned, bleached-teeth tool in a suit isnt gonna inspire you on the road to millionaire-success

only in a society so delusional and depressed with the post-modern condition can you find this thriving industry of egomania and bullshittery

buy a mirror and work on yourself. dont go to troy mclure.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
13rin
+977|6471
I know someone with this book.  She makes six figures.  Whether or not she's actually read/follows it, I know it changed my opinion slightly of her.

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2010-04-24 14:40:09)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5250|foggy bottom
an assertive person wouldnt need to read a book on being assertive
Tu Stultus Es
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

Synergy
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6656|NT, like Mick Dundee

ghettoperson wrote:

Promote Synergy
LIKE A BOSS!
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6464|Kakanien

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Carry a gun
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6396|North Carolina

Flecco wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Promote Synergy
LIKE A BOSS!