• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • GAO: Internet piracy not hurting the entertainment industry
Benzin
+576|6012
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d10423.pdf

Pretty interesting stuff... bit of a long read. I found this on a German website (http://diepresse.com/home/techscience/i … e/index.do), so you can translate the page and read that short explanation if you wish.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6667
I was surprised we're getting all this resistance to the ACTA bullshit, and now piracy is being given a break?

RIAA lobbyists are going to get fucked over this
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6753|Toronto | Canada

Posted that a few days ago...

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/04/us-government-finally-admits-most-piracy-estimates-are-bogus.ars
http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-government- … cy-100413/
http://torrentfreak.com/is-piracy-reall … no-100418/

Means nothing though, they'll never give this fight up.

Also, if the MPAA and RIAA had their way... well here's a summary

- The public would be encouraged to install anti-piracy software on their computers which would monitor their network for copyright-infringing materials. They are most likely referring to the Digital File Check  application that they’ve been plugging for a while.

- Internet service providers would have to allow third parties to spy on the files that are transferred by their customers and check them against a reference database of “fingerprints” to check whether the files are infringing copyright or not.

- Torrent sites and file-hosters would have to preemptively filter content that is uploaded to or indexed by their sites. The reasoning behind this suggestion is that the regular notice and takedown procedures are time consuming and ineffective because content quickly reappears.

- Search engines, hosting companies, payment processors, advertising agencies, social networking sites and domain registrars would be encouraged to team up with copyright holders in order to prevent online piracy. The purpose of this collaboration would be to cut off sites that ‘facilitate’ copyright infringement.

- Consumers and websites that repeatedly infringe on the rights of copyright holders would lose their Internet access.
http://p2ptalk.org/2010/04/mpaa-and-ria … ice-state/

Anyone feel sorry for the big record companies that are swimming in money, cry about losing profit yet consistently make more money year after year?

Last edited by Winston_Churchill (2010-04-19 06:41:43)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6511

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Anyone feel sorry for the big record companies that are swimming in money, cry about losing profit yet consistently make more money year after year?
no, i don't feel sorry for them. stealing is still stealing - no need to make yourself feel better if you*re swiping content from the internets.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

burnzz wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

no, i don't feel sorry for them. stealing is still stealing - no need to make yourself feel better if you*re swiping content from the internets.
For one, its not stealing.  Pirating != Stealing.  I'm not saying its morally perfect, but its not stealing.

The entire system needs to change and fighting against these companies is the only way to do it, theyre far too powerful.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6511

how many terabytes of content doyouhave/havepaidfor ?

look, i got into Napster back in the day, and i snatched a few items before it was shut down. i like watching movies on my PC. i may have some productivity apps and even on OS that did not originally come pre-installed with my PC. what i'm saying, is please don't assume the role of martyr when you have bragged about the terabytes of content that you haven't paid for. make full disclosure - don't act like you*re guiltless of the behavior the MPAA and RIAA are trying to end.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6735|Sydney, Australia

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Given the general quality of the music that is being churned out?

Not at all.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6188|Sydney | ♥

lol'd
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

burnzz wrote:

how many terabytes of content doyouhave/havepaidfor ?

look, i got into Napster back in the day, and i snatched a few items before it was shut down. i like watching movies on my PC. i may have some productivity apps and even on OS that did not originally come pre-installed with my PC. what i'm saying, is please don't assume the role of martyr when you have bragged about the terabytes of content that you haven't paid for. make full disclosure - don't act like you*re guiltless of the behaviour the MPAA and RIAA are trying to end.
I have many TBs of content, I have no problem with admitting that.  However, I see nearly every good (or even semi-good) movie in theatres, thats supporting them more than enough in my opinion.  I still watch TV shows on TV, buy movies I love and get CDs I like.  It also shouldnt cost me $40-50 for a DVD/BluRay.

Also, I believe in supporting artists, what I dont believe in is supporting the big companies that own them.

Last edited by Winston_Churchill (2010-04-19 07:20:41)

liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6641|UK
I like the statistic that says that people who engage in music piracy, on average, spend more on music. I've seen it around a couple of times, can't remember where.

Seems to be true - at least it is for me. I live with 4 other students, and:

a) I download the most music (one other house-mate downloads the odd song from Limewire and stuff, but that's it)
b) I buy the most music (I've bought more CDs than anyone else in my house since being at university, by a sizeable margin)

I also buy a fair bit of music for other people (CDs) for birthdays and stuff.

I know a fair few people that download music like I do, and I know for a fact that they also buy plenty of music.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

And thats the same for movies.  Most people are amazed by how often I go to see them in theatre, ones I really like I'll see 3 or more times.
Chou
+737|6805
https://uppix.net/6/b/4/7ecfac73d66134576c003a768c511.png
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Thats missing the easiest ways for them to make money, concerts and merchandise.  Nothing of that goes to the recording studio.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6013|The Mitten

Winston_Churchill wrote:

For one, its not stealing.  Pirating != Stealing.  I'm not saying its morally perfect, but its not stealing.
?
How so?
stealing
Main Entry: 1steal
Pronunciation: \ˈstēl\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): stole \ˈstōl\; sto·len \ˈstō-lən\; steal·ing
Etymology: Middle English stelen, from Old English stelan; akin to Old High German stelan to steal
Date: before 12th century

intransitive verb 1 : to take the property of another wrongfully and especially as a habitual or regular practice
Main Entry: pi·ra·cy
Pronunciation: \ˈpī-rə-sē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural pi·ra·cies
Etymology: Medieval Latin piratia, from Late Greek peirateia, from Greek peiratēs pirate
Date: 1537

1 : an act of robbery on the high seas; also : an act resembling such robbery
2 : robbery on the high seas
3 a : the unauthorized use of another's production, invention, or conception especially in infringement of a copyright b : the illicit accessing of broadcast signal
both involve taking what is not rightfully yours.... so...
EE (hats
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5802|Catherine Black

Morpheus wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

?
How so?
stealing
Etymology: Middle English stelen, from Old English stelan; akin to Old High German stelan to steal

intransitive verb 1 : to take the property of another wrongfully and especially as a habitual or regular practice
Etymology: Medieval Latin piratia, from Late Greek peirateia, from Greek peiratēs pirate

3 a : the unauthorized use of another's production, invention, or conception especially in infringement of a copyright b : the illicit accessing of broadcast signal
Stealing is removing the object from the person(s) possession.

File sharing Piracy is copying the object and distributing that copy.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6013|The Mitten

Finray wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

?
How so?
stealing

Ok, so, stealing is only a reference to physical objects? Tangible things?
Like, i could "pirate" your identity, and make purchases online with your "pirated" credit card number?
EE (hats
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
No, that's fraud.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6013|The Mitten

Finray wrote:

No, that's fraud.
so then stealing only applies to the physical, tangible objects? You can't steal ideas? You can't steal the work someone put into something?
EE (hats
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Morpheus wrote:

Finray wrote:

No, that's fraud.
so then stealing only applies to the physical, tangible objects? You can't steal ideas? You can't steal the work someone put into something?
You copied their idea. You didn't remove it from their brain. The term "he stole my idea" is just a turn of phrase. Technically, you're copying it.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6013|The Mitten

Finray wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Finray wrote:

No, that's fraud.
You copied their idea. You didn't remove it from their brain. The term "he stole my idea" is just a turn of phrase. Technically, you're copying it.
ah, i see. it's the linguistic difference.
EE (hats
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Morpheus wrote:

Finray wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Indeed.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6595|SE London

Finray wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

?
How so?
stealing

It can be, but is not restricted to that. Definitions of what is stealing are broad and to claim that internet piracy is not stealing is just silly.

The actus reus of theft is usually defined as an unauthorised taking, keeping or using of another's property which must be accompanied by a mens rea of dishonesty and/or the intent to permanently deprive the owner or the person with rightful possession of that property or its use.
Unauthorised taking, keeping or using of another persons property (a mens rea of dishonesty just means they haven't done it because they don't have the mental faculty to realise they shouldn't - children, mental people etc.). Intellectual Property is still property.

Morpheus wrote:

Finray wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

No - it isn't. He's just using a very limited definition, when in fact definitions, even purely legal definitions, of stealing are very broad.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2010-04-19 11:28:17)

Benzin
+576|6012
Actually Bertster, it really does depend on what country and legal system you are arguing the point under. For instance, under Austrian and German law, data is not considered a tangible object that can be "stolen" (under the German definition of theft). So you really need to adjust the argument to the legal system. I'm not disagreeing with you, however, that downloading music/movies/programs/whatever is illegal. You did not pay for it and it goes beyond lending/giving the work or even a copy of said work to a friend.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6595|SE London

CapnNismo wrote:

Actually Bertster, it really does depend on what country and legal system you are arguing the point under. For instance, under Austrian and German law, data is not considered a tangible object that can be "stolen" (under the German definition of theft). So you really need to adjust the argument to the legal system. I'm not disagreeing with you, however, that downloading music/movies/programs/whatever is illegal. You did not pay for it and it goes beyond lending/giving the work or even a copy of said work to a friend.
It doesn't matter about legal definitions, what matters is the meaning in the English language - which is what we are using. I drew on legal definitions, since they are usually more specific.

My point remains that definitions of what stealing is, do encompass this - contrary to what Finray was saying.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6615|132 and Bush

I remember when the entertainment industry thought vcrs were going to destroy them. It ended up making them more than they could imagine.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • GAO: Internet piracy not hurting the entertainment industry

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard