blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6655

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Performance in college.
college is a full time job! gl
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6731|Sydney, Australia

Jaekus wrote:

It depends what you want to do. The VCA in Melbourne isn't one of the G8 but if you want to study music, it's the best in Australia (I play a lot of music, have a couple friends who have degrees from there, it's really hard to get into).
I thought that would be the Sydney Conservatorium of Music..
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5620|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

eleven bravo wrote:

Bevo wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

UT is pretty prestigious
yer, the point is it's not easy to get into a state school just because it's a state school. A 2.9 wouldnt fly at tech or A+M either
I couldnt get into UCLA.  Got into a Cal State instead, all you need is a 2.0
As long as I meet the requirements for it(and can pay), I am guaranteed a spot at CSULB, not that hard as long as I'm not too lazy next year.
yay for School District having deals with CSU...
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6677

nickb64 wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Bevo wrote:

yer, the point is it's not easy to get into a state school just because it's a state school. A 2.9 wouldnt fly at tech or A+M either
I couldnt get into UCLA.  Got into a Cal State instead, all you need is a 2.0
As long as I meet the requirements for it(and can pay), I am guaranteed a spot at CSULB, not that hard as long as I'm not too lazy next year.
yay for School District having deals with CSU...
Even the impacted degrees?
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5711|College Park, MD

DrunkFace wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

But they don't always pick the people with the highest scores. They want actual people and not robots attending the university. My SAT scores weren't nearly as high as everyone else's, my GPA wasn't nearly as high as everyone else's, so maybe my personal statement had something to do with getting in? In which case they'd have a shit load more to read if everyone in the universe applied... and we're back at my previous post.
Personal statement?

No offence but the US system sounds overly complicated, retarded and expensive for no reason what so ever.
The only complicated part is applying for financial aid. The actual applications for admission are simple forms (the hard part is making a good pitch about yourself).
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
jord
+2,382|6688|The North, beyond the wall.
Join the marines
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6552|Texas - Bigger than France
Well, you can make your living with your brain or your back.

You get to choose.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6507

Pug wrote:

You get to choose.
i'm in IT. it means i make my living with the back of my brain . .  .
phishsux
­
+131|5141

Pug wrote:

You get to choose.
or your dick
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5493|Bolingbrook, Illinois
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK ME

i have a final piece on review writing tomorrow, but i forgot my fucking binder which included the rubric, the book im reviewing, and all the other shit i need to write it.

i want to cut myself
Brasso
+1,549|6640

then do it already
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6747|Oxferd Ohire

Brasso wrote:

then do it already
and stop making stupid threads
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
phishsux
­
+131|5141

RTHKI wrote:

Brasso wrote:

then do it already
and stop making stupid threads
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6375|California
leave him alone this is probably the only attention he will be getting in forever
HaiBai
ok i just found out she only takes off a letter grade for everyday its late so im not completely fucked.  as long as i keep my D, because i cant raise it to a C 
HaiBai
so, an update.  (dang, i look back at my posts and i think to myself, this kid is a bitch.  i wonder what ill think in a few years)

anyway, i got a 4.0 last semester and im about to get a 4.0 this semester.  i have definately gotten past my laziness   i just got back my scores from my first act, and i got a 29, which isnt bad for my first time with minimal studying.  (35 on the science part which im excited about)

anyway, next year my schedule looks like this:

ap comp science (since im gonna major in this)
ap macro and microeconomics (this econ has always interested me and is the toughest social studies class in my school)
english and western lit (didnt get signed off for ap, yet this is still one of the toughest if not the toughest english courses at my school)
ap statistics (sounds more impressive then precalculus and will probably help more for comp science)
ap chemistry (didnt have prerequisites for ap physics so settled for this)
internship (helps me find an internship for my major which will help a lot.  currently im helping the company my dad works at so well see what happens)

that makes for 5 weighted classes and 4 ap.  senior year sure is gonna be fun...  ive never even taken a weighted class, so i hope i dont get overwhelmed.

so at the end of this semester ill have a 3.122.  my counselor is really impressed with my comeback so shes offered to give me a reccomendation and etc.  so now, i actually have a chance of getting into urbana champaign.  if not, ill just go to purdue.

anyway, i just wanted to thank bf2s.  did this thread actually help or make a difference in me changing my work ethic?  who knows, but im sure it didnt hurt.  so thanks to everyone who posted.  i really cant wait to see what ends up happening with my life. 

i have a question though.  does applying early give me a bigger chance of getting into that college?  i ask because i am planning on taking the act again in a week, then in september, and then one more time in october.  im not sure if ill have enough time to take those before i have to start applying.  can i always update my application later if i do get a higher act score?
timing matters, plus you'll have time to make a backup plan if it fails.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726
australian universities are pretty easy to get into as an international... they didnt look at my grades only my SAT (i got 1610 LOL) and got into one of the top unis in aussie (same uni as mcminty, UNSW represent motherfucker). Here you apply for the programs, I'm in Bachelor of arts and majoring in International business and international relations. same shit as a bachelor of commerce really but just different name lol.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726
Early decision and regular doesn't really matter... it's just whether or not youd want to get locked down to a specific school.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Commie Killer
+192|6397
Write a letter about how your trying to turn your life around. Got me into Penn State with a 1.9 from highschool. Granted I had a 19something on my SAT. Granted I also dropped out after a semester.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6694|United States of America
Don't come to Purdue.

Srsly.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5188|Sydney

mcminty wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

It depends what you want to do. The VCA in Melbourne isn't one of the G8 but if you want to study music, it's the best in Australia (I play a lot of music, have a couple friends who have degrees from there, it's really hard to get into).
I thought that would be the Sydney Conservatorium of Music..
Oh really? I've always heard the VCA uttered with almost godlike reverence. I'm pretty ignorant to the Sydney Conservatorium of Music but any of the conservatoriums in Australia have a good reputation.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6663

HaiBai wrote:

so, an update.  (dang, i look back at my posts and i think to myself, this kid is a bitch.  i wonder what ill think in a few years)

anyway, i got a 4.0 last semester and im about to get a 4.0 this semester.  i have definately gotten past my laziness   i just got back my scores from my first act, and i got a 29, which isnt bad for my first time with minimal studying.  (35 on the science part which im excited about)

anyway, next year my schedule looks like this:

ap comp science (since im gonna major in this)
ap macro and microeconomics (this econ has always interested me and is the toughest social studies class in my school)
english and western lit (didnt get signed off for ap, yet this is still one of the toughest if not the toughest english courses at my school)
ap statistics (sounds more impressive then precalculus and will probably help more for comp science)
ap chemistry (didnt have prerequisites for ap physics so settled for this)
internship (helps me find an internship for my major which will help a lot.  currently im helping the company my dad works at so well see what happens)

that makes for 5 weighted classes and 4 ap.  senior year sure is gonna be fun...  ive never even taken a weighted class, so i hope i dont get overwhelmed.

so at the end of this semester ill have a 3.122.  my counselor is really impressed with my comeback so shes offered to give me a reccomendation and etc.  so now, i actually have a chance of getting into urbana champaign.  if not, ill just go to purdue.

anyway, i just wanted to thank bf2s.  did this thread actually help or make a difference in me changing my work ethic?  who knows, but im sure it didnt hurt.  so thanks to everyone who posted.  i really cant wait to see what ends up happening with my life. 

i have a question though.  does applying early give me a bigger chance of getting into that college?  i ask because i am planning on taking the act again in a week, then in september, and then one more time in october.  im not sure if ill have enough time to take those before i have to start applying.  can i always update my application later if i do get a higher act score?
Applying early is pretty much always beneficial.

If you got a 29, keep studying and try to get 30-31...most people can improve a point or two with a little more effort, and I'm sure you can do it.

Do you have to take it again in a week?  If you feel that you need to study a little more, I would do so and try taking it in Jul/Aug if possible...then, if need be, try again in Sep/Oct.  Most testing services will let you reschedule (might be a small fee) up until the day or two before.

And yes, you can almost always update applications with supplemental information.  Turning in a completed application early, and then providing updates, would be your best bet.

My college experience sounds like it played out a lot like your high school experience (dramatic improvements toward the end), and I can tell you that the people looking at your application will definitely pick up on any "positive trends" in your performance.  You should do fine.

Good luck.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6184|Sydney | ♥

Uni  is shit and gay...

...well, maybe not, i'm just a week out from exams xD
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726

tazz. wrote:

Uni  is shit and gay...

...well, maybe not, i'm just a week out from exams xD
i go to uni for the bitches. bitches love unibars.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard