cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6489|Kakanien

Turquoise wrote:

Here come the conspiracy theories....
yeah

+ holy shit. of all things on the way to katyn...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_massacre
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6489|Kakanien

Mekstizzle wrote:

From what I read it seems like pilot error rather than a crappy plane. You can be flying an F-22 but if you still fly it into trees it's not gonna be pretty, although I'm guessing if it was a more modern plane it would have sensors warning the pilot about shit. I'm no expert but flying low in unknown territory using VFR whilst its foggy is just a recipe for disaster, and it could be because his only option was VFR because of the plane...?
was most probably a pilot error. polish pilots tried to land for four times. the last time they crashed. russian air controllers told them several times to land in minsk, not in smolensk (because of fog and stuff)
Ioan92
+337|5739
no CAT III ILS Autoland for the great fail
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6421|North Carolina

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Here come the conspiracy theories....
yeah

+ holy shit. of all things on the way to katyn...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_massacre
Yeah, this occurrence really does have some sick irony....

As a side note, the former PM of Poland is the twin brother of the deceased President.  hmmm....
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6427|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.

Ioan92 wrote:

Even if there was one, when the weather is below minima, you want to divert. And you don't try to land the plane four times at minima ffs, you go to the alternate on the first missed. Two approaches would even be pushing it.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5275|foggy bottom
twins always up the conspiracy factor by a couple of points
Tu Stultus Es
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6421|North Carolina

eleven bravo wrote:

twins always up the conspiracy factor by a couple of points
True...  especially identical ones...  lol
Ioan92
+337|5739

SplinterStrike wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

Even if there was one, when the weather is below minima, you want to divert. And you don't try to land the plane four times at minima ffs, you go to the alternate on the first missed. Two approaches would even be pushing it.
Now that's a question I'd like to ask;

Did the the airport have ILS facilities?

Because those facilities are designed to land a plane in those conditions, you divert if there is an actual threat to the safety of the plane, like windshear, downdrafts, etc..

Fog isn't one of them, otherwise Schiphol wouldn't exist.

A little theory of mine is that the shape of the wreck doesn't really fit to a ~140kts glide into the trees, assuming that's how it crashed.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6172|Vancouver | Canada
Just read about this...That's horrible.

R.I.P.

How are they going to deal with this government-wise?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6545|Global Command
inbn4pollockjokes.

my serious reply was a page or two back..
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6516|so randum

DefCon-17 wrote:

Just read about this...That's horrible.

R.I.P.

How are they going to deal with this government-wise?
Speaking to some polish people i know, apparently rather well. lots of elections to come, but everyone has a rough plan of what to do, so they're working through it.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6732
That's very sad... My thoughts and prayers to all their surviving family members.
Love is the answer
mikkel
+383|6617

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

You mean it was flying like this shitty scarebus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5NXpar4Ouw
Along with that, a lot of people survived that crash.
Wait, 'shitty scarebus'? Doesn't the A320 series of aircraft have a vastly better safety record than their 737 series Boeing competitor? Aren't you also all about Lufthansa, an airline with a predominately Airbus manufactured fleet?
Airbus really is a phenomenally corrupt company.
Absolutely. As is the competition. That couldn't possibly account for the vastly better safety record of the A320, though.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5253|Cleveland, Ohio

lowing wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

hmmm...pilots were warned they were too low and to abort the landing. gg pilots.  a real plane would have warned you also but still....
yeah like the A320.
well no but their dispatchers were telling them to divert also.....

bad judgement tbh
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5500|Bolingbrook, Illinois
sad day for us polaks 

RIP
11 Bravo
Banned

Ioan92 wrote:

you play too much flightsim
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6792|Moscow, Russia

Ioan92 wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

Now that's a question I'd like to ask;

Did the the airport have ILS facilities?

Because those facilities are designed to land a plane in those conditions, you divert if there is an actual threat to the safety of the plane, like windshear, downdrafts, etc..

Fog isn't one of them, otherwise Schiphol wouldn't exist.

A little theory of mine is that the shape of the wreck doesn't really fit to a ~140kts glide into the trees, assuming that's how it crashed.
and suddenly everybody's an expert in planes and wrecks.

/facepalm
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
ruisleipa
+149|6238|teh FIN-land

HaiBai wrote:

sad day for us polaks 

RIP
you're american?
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6427|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
CBC news version

Apparently no ILS is available at that airport. Black boxes recovered, pretty much pilot error the cause. Wish I had a weather package along with the plates to the airport to see what the minimas are, though the repeat landing attempts shouldnt have been done in my mind.

And strange, they have a Prime Minister as well as a President?
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6738|Sydney, Australia

SplinterStrike wrote:

And strange, they have a Prime Minister as well as a President?
That's quite common...
11 Bravo
Banned
no ILS approach and they tried to land in fog?  wow.  i know africa has the worst safety record for aviation but i wonder where these guys fall.  what kind of backasswards country doesnt have an ILS approach to an airport that a visiting president will be landing at?
Ioan92
+337|5739

11 Bravo wrote:

no ILS approach and they tried to land in fog?  wow.  i know africa has the worst safety record for aviation but i wonder where these guys fall.  what kind of backasswards country doesnt have an ILS approach to an airport that a visiting president will be landing at?
russia?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6637|London, England
Didn't the Russians tell the pilot not to land there?
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5490|Ventura, California

Mekstizzle wrote:

Didn't the Russians tell the pilot not to land there?
Yep, first they requested they correct their approach speed and altitude. They didn't comply so they were told to land at a different airport.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6792|Moscow, Russia
how can you all be so blind, people?! it's a set up! it's exceedingly obvious that the faulty plane, the tree which that plane struck and the fog were all specifically manufactured and set in place by former kgb under personal command of vladimir putin - all in order to get rid of democartically elected president of the sovereign state of poland.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard