Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6122|eXtreme to the maX

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Oh and Iraq was invaded because it's a terrorist heaven. If it wasn't before it is now, so we can murder all the bad guys journalists, women, children, civilians in one spot. Without having to go to their country.
Fixed.

Bad guys are in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan BTW.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6545|Global Command

Dilbert_X wrote:

ATG wrote:

Do me a favor bud; go to a war zone and get those pesky native to fill out their official combatant certification card.
Its not a war zone.

Its unreasonable to invade a country for political reasons, turning it into a war zone, and then declare 'its a fucking war zone, we can kill whoever the fuck we like'.
Again, you are starting from a point of stubborn ignorance that really is not worth commenting on.

It doesn't matter what you think, the area was a war zone and the heli pilots had a job to do which was spot guys with weapons and kill them.

They have to ask permission to engage. The fact that they were in a warbird in uniform sending 20 micmic rounds down range is a solid indicator that Iraq was indeed a war zone.

I'd like to engage in more of this pointless theoretical circle jerking, but I have a living to make.
c'ya!
Chou
+737|6807
Oh please, don't make this to turn out they were hovering over Disney World looking for a Sunday morning target practice

If you were in that chopper, no way you would have said: Nah dude it's a Nikon, let's go back to base.
Yeah but he's doing moves around the corner like he's on to something!
Nah dude, telling you, he's just testing his lens cause that's his job, leeching off the war taking pics to make us look bad, let's roll niggah.
Ioan92
+337|5739
War is war, deal with its fucking consequences.

Or be smart and make peace!
Chou
+737|6807
Check this out, another camera crew playing cards around a campfire.

too bad they shot the telescope lens lelz.

Last edited by Chou (2010-04-06 06:55:46)

Benzin
+576|6015
Shifty, I really hope that you're trying to be sarcastic... because if you believe what you just wrote (Iraq was a terrorist haven)... omg.

You do realize that the Islamist organizations all around the world hated Saddam? Pretty much everyone spoke out against him as a non-Islamic ruler and that he had to be taken down so as to establish an Islamic government in Iraq. Saddam would NEVER have been in cahoots with the Islamists. Why? Because they all wanted to off him!

Dilbert is right, too - the bad guys are all in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan (for the most part). The Saudis (as a people and government) are funding all of these Islamist organizations that inspire terrorism and extremism and even organize for young men to travel to the Middle East to wage jihad. You need to read "Ghost Wars" by Steven Coll and "The Islamist" by Ed Husain.

Last edited by CapnNismo (2010-04-06 07:12:05)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5490|Ventura, California

CapnNismo wrote:

Shifty, I really hope that you're trying to be sarcastic... because if you believe what you just wrote (Iraq was a terrorist haven)... omg.
When the U.S. invaded Iraq they were mostly facing the Republican Guard. Those guys surrendered quickly, a few fought back. A lot of amateurs went there from other countries to fight the "Infidels".

So in your opinion, why did the U.S. invade Iraq?

CapnNismo wrote:

You do realize that the Islamist organizations all around the world hated Saddam? Pretty much everyone spoke out against him as a non-Islamic ruler and that he had to be taken down so as to establish an Islamic government in Iraq. Saddam would NEVER have been in cahoots with the Islamists. Why? Because they all wanted to off him!
Nope, didn't know that. Can somebody else confirm this? Not people like Dilbert or Ruis.

CapnNismo wrote:

Dilbert is right, too - the bad guys are all in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan (for the most part). The Saudis (as a people and government) are funding all of these Islamist organizations that inspire terrorism and extremism and even organize for young men to travel to the Middle East to wage jihad. You need to read "Ghost Wars" by Steven Coll and "The Islamist" by Ed Husain.
I won't even comment on that.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Sh1fty, try reading - its harder than youtube but you do learn stuff.
Ioan92
+337|5739
It was invaded for oil.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6826|Nårvei

Honestly Dilbert ... unless you've been in a similar situation I find it strange you critisize it so harshly ... and we are discussing one particular incident here not the whole campaign and the reasons behind it ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
mikkel
+383|6617

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

You ask for the impossible. Any kind of urban warfare you find unacceptable, but that is what constitutes warfare in the present day. Now if you want to say that we shouldn't have wars at all, that would be hilarious.
Where do you get this from? I haven't at all said that I find any kind of urban warfare unacceptable.
Simple logic.  You require credible and overwhelming reason to engage, credible and overwhelming reason does not exist in urban warfare, you find urban warfare unacceptable.
You can't just come and say that credible and overwhelming reason (as opposed to assumptive and underwhelming reason) doesn't exist in urban warfare without any rationale, and then use that conclusion to tell me what my opinions are. Urban warfare is full of credible and overwhelming reason. That's what you have when you get shot at, or when you're sure beyond reasonable doubt that you're shooting at the right guys.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

But I haven't said that I see the necessity of command decisions in all but some cases.

mikkel wrote:

I said that I don't agree with the kind of warfare that permits and justifies this 'command decision' that you're referring to.
I don't understand how you fail to see the logical fallacy in the above statements. You don't disagree with with the necessity of command decisions, acknowledging that command decisions requires the same leeway in all cases and can not be limited in scope to specific cases, but you disagree with the methods that give the command decision in this specific case.

Disagreeing with the idea of command decisions is categorically disagreeing with war period.
I'm sorry, but again I have to remind you that I have not at any point claimed to disagree with the idea of 'command decisions.' There is no logical fallacy here. I'm going to extend the argument to the preposterous so that the logic should be apparent and obvious. What I'm telling you is that I disagree with the kind of warfare that justifies and finds acceptable the kind of 'command decisions' involved in shooting at targets that are very possibly civilians in the middle of the city before having a credible and overwhelming reason to believe that they aren't civilians. That has nothing to do with my opinion on 'command decisions.' It has to do with my opinion on the kind of warfare being led. Had the U.S. come into Iraq and indiscriminately used chemical weapons in urban civilian areas, I would also disagree with that kind of warfare for justifying and finding acceptable that kind of force. That would also not have anything to do with my opinion on 'command decisions.'

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Well, these people came across the place in a truck after the shots had been fired. That doesn't to me constitute hanging around people with weapons. It doesn't suggest to me that they knew that the people had weapons. It just suggests to me that they stopped and tried to help an injured man. It's easy to postulate and assume the worst, but what I'm saying is that when it's equally easy, or easier to postulate and assume the good, one should exercise constraint. The chance of three dead insurgents isn't worth a very likely chance of three dead civilians to me. Certainly not in the situation displayed.
They had AKs that could be seen from a chopper. How could you possibly "not know" the people had weapons? If you assume the best, you could assume every single person in the country has a weapon to do nothing more than defend their home and family. You could assume the best and say that every person with a cell phone by the side of the road is calling their grandmother. You could assume every single frickin person in the country could be considered a civilian, there is absolutely no way to tell. Even if they shoot at you, they could be doing it at gun point or other similar ridiculous and useless theories.
As far as I can tell, none of the men in the truck had guns, the pilots never report anyone in the truck as being armed, and no gun is ever seen in or around the truck. The gunner postulated that it looked like the people in the truck were "picking up bodies and weapons" before the truck had come to a stop, and before anyone had gotten out. As I have said before, I can understand that you can never be 100% certain in these kinds of situations, but you can absolutely be a lot more certain than this.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Assuming the reasonable is the only thing that matters. It's reasonable to assume that people dressed like the people that shoot at you, holding the things they use to shoot at you with, are going to shoot at you. Assuming that people around armed people helping previously armed people are "very likely" three civilians is highly unreasonable.
Well, the people in the truck were not holding any guns in the video as far as I can tell. The person who they were helping didn't have a gun on him, and the bodies of the people that were armed according to the gunner in the helicopter looked to be 30-40 feet away, as the person they stopped to help had run, and then crawled away from the fire. It's very reasonable to recognise the very real possibility that these weren't combatants. You can't just use the cumulative succession of events to assign a certain intent to people who arrived well after the events had taken place, and argue that it is based in credible and observed behaviour. The missing link of their presence demotes that to the rank of speculation.

Last edited by mikkel (2010-04-06 07:52:15)

ruisleipa
+149|6238|teh FIN-land

-Sh1fty- wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

Nope, didn't know that. Can somebody else confirm this? Not people like Dilbert or Ruis.
lol...

seriously do your own research, don't trust anyone on this site without doing some reading yourself.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6239|Escea

Hindsight, its awesome isn't it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Varegg wrote:

Honestly Dilbert ... unless you've been in a similar situation I find it strange you critisize it so harshly ... and we are discussing one particular incident here not the whole campaign and the reasons behind it ...
Its a small part of the whole, and indicative of the mindset.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6665

ruisleipa wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

lol...

seriously do your own research, don't trust anyone on this site without doing some reading yourself.
And there we have the only sensible post made by Ruis in this entire thread.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5253|Cleveland, Ohio

M.O.A.B wrote:

Hindsight, its awesome isn't it.
revisionists are right 100% of the time
Chou
+737|6807
Invaded for oil lol yeah epic win there just look at the prices.
ruisleipa
+149|6238|teh FIN-land

ghettoperson wrote:

And there we have the only sensible post made by Ruis in this entire thread.
sooner or later...it had to happen.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6826|Nårvei

Dilbert_X wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Its a small part of the whole, and indicative of the mindset.
Not really ... ROE and how that is interpreted is the exact same in any conflict ... doesn't matter if this was Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Lebanon or whatever ... when you face an enemy with no clear indications of being just that these situations and this kind of mindset of soldiers will occour ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
mikkel
+383|6617

JohnG@lt wrote:

mikkel wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Simple questions for you mikkel. Who is at fault for the civilian deaths caused in Iraq? Is it the American troops for not being diligent enough or is it the insurgents fault for not obeying the rules of war and fighting with uniforms on that designate them as combatants? Is it America's fault that the insurgents hide among the civilian populace and make themselves indistinguishable from it? Who is ultimately at fault when civilians are mistaken for combatants?

A rational person would lay the blame at the feet of the insurgents.
A rational person wouldn't lay the blame squarely on one party. Nor would a rational person merely assign the American forces a carte blanche as a result of the actions of the insurgents. The challenge of fighting an insurgency is tough. The American government and military leadership took on the tough challenge, though, and took a risk on behalf of the civilian Iraqi population. I don't believe that you can simply dismiss the responsibility of the U.S. to make sure that they do their best to respect the responsibility they have to the Iraqi people in taking that risk, and I don't believe that they did their best in this situation.
They have and continue to do better than 90% of the worlds militaries with respect to civilians. If it was the Russians, Chinese or most other countries, they would've wiped out the entire block without batting an eyelash. Respecting civilians in war is an entirely new phenomena that is mostly propagated by television cameras being present on the field rather than newspaper reporters. Before the advent of television reporting from the field no one gave a damn about civilians. Heck, in WWII, more civilians died than military personnel. 'But we can always do better' is not a real answer because we've been doing the best that we can and it has cost us American lives on the battlefield. We're not running across the countryside raping, pillaging and looting like armies of the past.
I know that this isn't an uncommon opinion, but the whole "as long as we're better than these other guys who aren't good at all" justification isn't an opinion held by me. It's entirely too easy to judge oneself to the standards of bad men in the course of doing good.

JohnG@lt wrote:

You seem to want battles to resemble those fought in the Civil War where two opposing armies lined up with muskets and shot at one another and where combatants were easily recognizable. Those days are long gone. The enemy can't beat us in the field so they hide in the cities among the civilians. That is the reality of war and civilians will die because of it. C'est la vie.
Of course I would want that. Who wouldn't? It is, however, not at all what it 'seems' that I'm arguing. It is not a very honest debate tactic to draw any suggestion of more caution to the far extreme to make the argument appear invalid, because what you end up disagreeing with is an argument I haven't made. I said a couple of pages back that I had no interest in doing this, and this is still the case.

If you want to debate this with me, you cannot just conclude that "that is the reality of war and civilians will die because of it." You can't debate on the exercise of caution and restraint if you take base in an opinion that dismisses the casualties that the lack of it causes.

Last edited by mikkel (2010-04-06 07:56:18)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5490|Ventura, California
I hardly ever visit Youtube for news or opinion.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
11 Bravo
Banned

eleven bravo wrote:

youre right! asking for permission to fire shows complete lack of hesitation!

this outrage is funny coming from someone who denies the armenian genocide
ruisleipa
+149|6238|teh FIN-land

-Sh1fty- wrote:

so go somewhere else.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6782|UK

Dilbert_X wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Indeed it wasn't an RPG, but it certainly looked like one, to me, to the trained gunner, to his commander watching the feed. But what would they know. Dilberts on the case.
Except it wasn't, all those people were wrong despite their awsm training - which is what 13 weeks these days?
Except they did have one. 3:45 mins

So despite your awsm training, you didn't even notice the RPG watching it safe at home, while the gunner did.
11 Bravo
Banned

ruisleipa wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

so go somewhere else.
i go to janes.com.  unless you go there, you can shut your hole about sources.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard