2juk
+12|5196
My School had a 'sit-in' I guess you could call it last Friday the 19th.  Our school budget is forcing Shelton to fire up to 100+ teachers and sports might be cut next year, which would mean no creditation.  I'm a senior so I went to a nearby deli to eat while the school was doing the sit-in.  Everyone went to the lobby and eventually outside.

This was to show the Mayor he is in the wrong by firing half of our teachers.

The school was trying to get students inside the building by threating everyone who is outside will get cuts for the classes their supposed to be in.  Then when everyone eventually came inside after about an hour the school started to become chaos. Everyone was running was running around screaming shit and throwing shit.  It was pretty cool to see the school completely out of control of teachers. The police eventually came to arrest people who wouldn't corraperate.

WTNH has the story
LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6504|England
haha fuck the police
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6487

2juk wrote:

and sports might be cut
Good.
jord
+2,382|6696|The North, beyond the wall.

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

2juk wrote:

and sports might be cut
Good.
You in the two thirds of obese americans then?
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6487

jord wrote:

2juk wrote:

and sports might be cut
Good.
I just don't think taxpayer money should go to subsidizing having kids play with balls.

If they want to pay for the teams with donations then fine by me, but we shouldn't be paying for them to play.

Last edited by Doctor Strangelove (2010-03-24 08:05:06)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6735

jord wrote:

2juk wrote:

and sports might be cut
Good.
Schools spend so much money on sports team, not actual PE classes. So only around 28 kids get the benefits.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
tuckergustav
+1,590|5932|...

Except...don't the schools actually make money from sporting events?

on topic: Seems like a few students were doing this for the teachers..the rest saw it as a reason to be rowdy.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6518|so randum
does this sports money go to cheerleading too?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5376|London, England

2juk wrote:

My School had a 'sit-in' I guess you could call it last Friday the 19th.  Our school budget is forcing Shelton to fire up to 100+ teachers and sports might be cut next year, which would mean no creditation.  I'm a senior so I went to a nearby deli to eat while the school was doing the sit-in.  Everyone went to the lobby and eventually outside.

This was to show the Mayor he is in the wrong by firing half of our teachers.

The school was trying to get students inside the building by threating everyone who is outside will get cuts for the classes their supposed to be in.  Then when everyone eventually came inside after about an hour the school started to become chaos. Everyone was running was running around screaming shit and throwing shit.  It was pretty cool to see the school completely out of control of teachers. The police eventually came to arrest people who wouldn't corraperate.

WTNH has the story
The other teachers could've taken a pay cut to save their colleagues jobs. They didn't. Blame the teachers union for grabbing more money from the district than was really available.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

jord wrote:

Good.
I just don't think taxpayer money should go to subsidizing having kids play with balls.

If they want to pay for the teams with donations then fine by me, but we shouldn't be paying for them to play.
I bet you weren't invited to many (any) parties in high school. You seem like you're lots of fun.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6757|Toronto | Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

jord wrote:

I bet you weren't invited to many (any) parties in high school. You seem like you're lots of fun.
Under that logic, money shouldnt go to chess club or plays, or any other extra curricular activity.  Sports are a lot more important than learning to play chess or act in a play imo.

Last edited by Winston_Churchill (2010-03-24 08:24:18)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Under that logic, money shouldnt go to chess club or plays, or any other extra curricular activity.  Sports are a lot more important than learning to play chess or act in a play imo.
Sports is pretty much the only reason I went to class in high school
-Frederick Bastiat
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6518|so randum

FatherTed wrote:

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

FatherTed wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Yes.
-Frederick Bastiat
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6616|Seattle

Fucking the kids over is never a good thing. There are plenty of other government projects to cut from.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6518|so randum

JohnG@lt wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Yes.
https://www.smartcine.com/images/top_gun_still2.jpg

give them even more money then pls

https://www.smartcine.com/images/top_gun_still2.jpg
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6714|NJ

JohnG@lt wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Under that logic, money shouldn't go to chess club or plays, or any other extra curricular activity.  Sports are a lot more important than learning to play chess or act in a play imo.
Where you good at sports and not very good at your education?

I'm just asking, cause the sport thing does bring alot of perks in the school system.

Education is also way more important then sports, because it's used later in life by more people then anything else.

P.S. I do however agree with you that teachers and everyone in government work right now needs to take a pay cut. Stop giving out inflation increases if you don't have, I'm more and more realizing that one of the biggest reason for inflation in this world is government jobs.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2010-03-24 09:08:40)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6757|Toronto | Canada

cpt.fass1 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Under that logic, money shouldn't go to chess club or plays, or any other extra curricular activity.  Sports are a lot more important than learning to play chess or act in a play imo.
Where you good at sports and not very good at your education?

I'm just asking, cause the sport thing does bring alot of perks in the school system.

Education is also way more important then sports, because it's used later in life by more people then anything else.

P.S. I do however agree with you that teachers and everyone in government work right now needs to take a pay cut. Stop giving out inflation increases if you don't have, I'm more and more realizing that one of the biggest reason for inflation in this world is government jobs.
If that was to me as well, then no.  I was a straight A student and was on tons of sports teams.  I also did do plays and chess and all that stuff in elementary school, but sports were way more interesting and made school much more enjoyable for me
mikkel
+383|6620

JohnG@lt wrote:

jord wrote:

Sounds like the kind of parties you were invited to had a lot of charming and sophisticated individuals in attendance.

If you can't pay the teachers' salaries, then cut the noneducational programs before starting the core subjects layoffs.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5720|College Park, MD
What mikkel said. Throwing money at schools doesn't make them better, but neither does underfunding academics while overfunding sports.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
eleven bravo
+1,399|5277|foggy bottom
why deny a student another avenue to a higher education by cutting out sports?
Tu Stultus Es
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6487

eleven bravo wrote:

Why deny a student who is good academically over one who isn't?
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5720|College Park, MD
why deny a student another avenue to a higher education by cutting out advanced classes? Sadly the argument goes multiple ways.

Washington DC, if I'm not mistaken, has some of the highest spending per student of any school system in the US. Yet test scores are abysmal, graduation rates are abysmal, public schooling in general in DC is abysmal.

Why? Ask anyone educated on the matter and nine times out of ten they'll say it's the parents. The parents don't give a shit about their child's success. They don't go to parent-teacher conferences, they don't discipline their kids, and then when the teachers tell them that their kid's a troublemaker they get all angry and say they raise their kids well (hahha yeah fucking right).

If someone can figure out how to solve that problem, then I imagine we wouldn't have as many problems in regards to funding because people would realize that all the money pumped into the school system in the world isn't gonna make a lazy parent take charge.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6714|NJ
What avenue is that?

If the toss up is education or sports, you should choose education every time. The percent of people who go pro and make a decent living at it is very tiny.
mikkel
+383|6620

eleven bravo wrote:

Because if you can't pay teachers' salaries, then you're denying an entire school worth of students the proper foundation for higher education. Why sacrifice that so that a handful of students on sports teams might get scholarships?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard