M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

BLdw wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

]

ruisleipa wrote:

And what about waterboarding? That's not torture? Stripping detainees naked and having dogs bark at them while physically and verbally abusing the detainees (you've seen the pics from Abu Ghraib yeah?)? That's not torture? riiight. And imprisoning people for years with no charges and no evidence? That's OK yeah? bollocks.
Only thing I might call torture on there is waterboarding, and that's at a stretch.
What about denying the right to sleep?
Look up Hell Week of Navy SEAL BUD/S training.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

M.O.A.B wrote:

BLdw wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

]
Only thing I might call torture on there is waterboarding, and that's at a stretch.
Sleep deprev can really mess with people psychologically.

Shit, blasting barney's i love you as a form of "torture" still fucking beats getting fucked up by a blow torch.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.
It's not just seals, every field exercise I went on I never got more than an hours sleep a night.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum
you still doing the soldier soldier thing jord?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

jord wrote:

It's not just seals, every field exercise I went on I never got more than an hours sleep a night.
Oh I know . Hell Week just came into my mind.

The Long Drag of SAS training is pretty nasty too. Plenty of guys have died during that I believe.
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.
Nah ted, left ages ago mate.

Did u quit bf2s or summet
BLdw
+27|5142|M104 "Sombrero"

M.O.A.B wrote:

BLdw wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

]
Slightly different thing. I know what I've experienced in army too, but that's not even close to the same thing.
You know what happens when you fall in sleep and minute later you're forced to wake up? Do you know what in long run if this keeps happening?
Is this not torture to you?

Cybargs wrote:

Shit, blasting barney's i love you as a form of "torture" still fucking beats getting fucked up by a blow torch.
Might be...

Edit, edit, edit...

Last edited by BLdw (2010-03-23 08:56:21)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum

jord wrote:

Nah ted, left ages ago mate.

Did u quit bf2s or summet
took a break from :internets: to sort out RL stuff

but i'm back, gayer than ever HOOAH
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

BLdw wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

BLdw wrote:

Slightly different thing. I know what I've experienced in army too, but that's not even close to the same thing.
You know what happens when you fall in sleep and minute later you're forced to wake up? Do you know what in long run if this keeps happening?
I'd put it as more of an annoyance.

I recently couldn't sleep because I had a bad neck, which kept me awake for several nights running. Pain in the arse yes, but not torture.
BLdw
+27|5142|M104 "Sombrero"

M.O.A.B wrote:

BLdw wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

I recently couldn't sleep because I had a bad neck, which kept me awake for several nights running. Pain in the arse yes, but not torture.

Try it for couple of months instead. It really is torture, mainly because normal living after that is very difficult. Some people tortured via sleep deprivation might never learn to sleep "properly" again. It really drives crazy.

It is just different thing than just couple days without good sleeps.

Last edited by BLdw (2010-03-23 09:08:31)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

BLdw wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

BLdw wrote:

Try it for couple of months instead of couple of days. It really is torture, mainly because normal living after that is very difficult. Some people tortured via sleep deprivation might never learn to sleep "properly" again. It really drives crazy.

Shouldn't chucking grenades at American troops then. They don't just randomly pick up a dude and throw them in gitmo. Better than putting 2 in the guys chest and call it casualty.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
BLdw
+27|5142|M104 "Sombrero"

Cybargs wrote:

BLdw wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Try it for couple of months instead of couple of days. It really is torture, mainly because normal living after that is very difficult. Some people tortured via sleep deprivation might never learn to sleep "properly" again. It really drives crazy.

Shouldn't chucking grenades at American troops then. They don't just randomly pick up a dude and throw them in gitmo. Better than putting 2 in the guys chest and call it casualty.
Yeah.
I saw a TV-document (Finland) about released "terrorist suspects". One of them was captured in London. During his captivity he lost his sight from right eye, lost almost all of his hearing from left ear, lost his ability to walk properly (well, he was fat anyway. That could've been part of the reason) and lost his ability to sleep properly, only 30 min - couple hour sleeps.

He was a clocksmith before he was captured.

Last edited by BLdw (2010-03-23 09:44:45)

eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom
anything that starts with "I saw a tv document" really tosses out any sense of credibility
Tu Stultus Es
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5444|Ventura, California

Cybargs wrote:

BLdw wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

I agree

It's bullshit. Anybody who complains about a few men in gitmo not getting enough sleep vs the shit American's and other forces face in the wars is a complete son of a bitch. And I put that very lightly.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
BLdw
+27|5142|M104 "Sombrero"

eleven bravo wrote:

anything that starts with "I saw a tv document" really tosses out any sense of credibility
Why?

Sh1fty wrote:

It's bullshit. Anybody who complains about a few men in gitmo not getting enough sleep vs the shit American's and other forces face in the wars is a complete son of a bitch. And I put that very lightly.
It doesn't matter if they are innocent?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

eleven bravo wrote:

Documentaries are the easiest tool for manipulation. Show someone some terribad images or crying people, they'll take their word for it.
BLdw
+27|5142|M104 "Sombrero"

Cybargs wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Documentaries are the easiest tool for manipulation. Show someone some terribad images or crying people, they'll take their word for it.
I guess this varies by person then. I've seen more effective manipulating tools in my life.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

BLdw wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

I guess this varies by person then. I've seen more effective manipulating tools in my life.
It doesn't "vary" by person. All documentaries are propaganda. Not saying all propaganda is bad (anti-cig smoking ones for example), but their main purpose is to change not only a persons views, but their feelings towards a certain subject. They employ great rhetorical devices, applying all to pathos (emotions), ethos (credibility of person/doco) and logos (logical arguments). But it is still propaganda.
BLdw
+27|5142|M104 "Sombrero"

Cybargs wrote:

BLdw wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

It doesn't "vary" by person. All documentaries are propaganda. Not saying all propaganda is bad (anti-cig smoking ones for example), but their main purpose is to change not only a persons views, but their feelings towards a certain subject. They employ great rhetorical devices, applying all to pathos (emotions), ethos (credibility of person/doco) and logos (logical arguments). But it is still propaganda.
Of course it does?
I'm trying to learn everything I can from the subject in hand. It doesn't matter whether it'll contradict or support my current point of view. Sole reason for me to watch documentaries is to gain more information and sources of information.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

BLdw wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

BLdw wrote:

Of course it does?
I'm trying to learn everything I can from the subject in hand. It doesn't matter whether it'll contradict or support my current point of view. Sole reason for me to watch documentaries is to gain more information and sources of information.
Documentaries very very rarely present both sides of an argument. They usually criticize the hell out of one side. Never, ever ever ever use documentaries as a "learning" tool to gain information. Sure I learned a great deal myself, but always read other stuff related to the subject. Docos should give you a general overview, and should not be trusted as they will always ignore the other side.
BLdw
+27|5142|M104 "Sombrero"

Cybargs wrote:

BLdw wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Of course it does?
Documentaries very very rarely present both sides of an argument. They usually criticize the hell out of one side. Never, ever ever ever use documentaries as a "learning" tool to gain information. Sure I learned a great deal myself, but always read other stuff related to the subject. Docos should give you a general overview, and should not be trusted as they will always ignore the other side.
I learn some other stuff from documentaries. I learn something new, from some other documentary, that might contradict previous documentary. So, I use documentaries as a "learning" tool to gain information. Documentaries does not have to be my main source of information, but they are sources of information too.

My point was simple. I don't see documentaries as very effective tools to manipulate me, even though you said they are easiest tool of manipulation. So it must vary by person.

Last edited by BLdw (2010-03-23 12:23:27)

LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6456|England

Cybargs wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Just like the news but let me guess you believe everything you're told on that right?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

LostFate wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Just like the news but let me guess you believe everything you're told on that right?
The news is just as manipulative. How the writers set their tone makes a huge difference in the article. The BBC does a pretty good job trying to keep a voice out and just present what happened.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5444|Ventura, California

BLdw wrote:

Sh1fty wrote:

Shit happens and you can't always prove it's wrong.

Imagine all the people possibly convicted of murder who are either dead (Death penalty) or have spent a life in prison for nothing?

This is planet Earth, shit happens.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6456|England

-Sh1fty- wrote:

BLdw wrote:

Sh1fty wrote:

Shit happens and you can't always prove it's wrong.

Imagine all the people possibly convicted of murder who are either dead (Death penalty) or have spent a life in prison for nothing?

This is planet Earth, shit happens.
Hence the expression " Innocent till proven guilty" if you can't fucking prove it stop throwing people in jail.

Last edited by LostFate (2010-03-23 13:23:50)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard