Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Discuss.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|3521|Sydney
Recently I've been reading on different forums (including here) some tweaks for BFBC2. I thought it could be helpful to consolidate them into the one thread.

These are a few I've found, feel free to add your own or links to others.
It's certainly not definitive but over time it'll hopefully fill out.
I'll update this post as more stuff is added.

NOTE: I don't claim to be the author of any of the following.

SITES

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC Tweak Guide - name says it all

TWEAKS

Big List of Tweaks/Help/Fixes

CARBONFIRE'S Mouse Smoothing and Turret Speed Fix for BFBC2 - how to remove mouse smoothing (smoothing is what typical console controller feel is like) and adjust turret speed manually *NOTE* These tweaks are no longer necessary with the R8 Client patch (released 30/6/10)

BFBC2MouseFix.exe - same as above, a small program that does it for you. *NOTE* These will no longer work with the R8 Client patch (released 30/6/10)

FoV Calculator - FoV = Field of View

How to invert helicopter controls when using a joystick

GUIDES

Tactical Field Manual

Weapons Unlock Guide

Bullet Drop Chart

Weapons Chart - note that currently some values have been disputed as being completely correct, but it appears to be fairly close

Weapons Chart 1.2 - based on the above chart, but in a different table layout - thanks to [email protected]

Trotskygrad's C4 Building Demolition 2.0 Thread

Map Overviews - from a Dutch site, translated into English for your convenience

MISC. STUFF

Sound mechanic not allowing location of enemies properly (if you changed the SpeakerCount=X to 0 your settings.ini file)

Useful Files/applications for looking at the structure of BFBC2 - not for the inexperienced, this is going into the core system files of the game - DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Discussions on .dbx files- from the above link

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-02-12 04:14:42)

11 Bravo
Banned
+965|3579|Cleveland, Ohio
tip:  kill the enemy before he kills you
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|3521|Sydney
I tried the mouse smoothing fix and after a couple mistakes it works very well!

Just make sure you backup your files before proceeding. For the "Scheme0Sensitivity" value at the start of the guide, after some experimentation I use 6.7, feels pretty close to my normal BF2 setting. 7 was just a little too sensitive, 6.5 just slightly too sluggish. 6.75 was the teeniest bit touchy so reducing by 0.05 seems to be comfortable for me.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|3521|Sydney
I'm yet to try the AutoHotkey script: Crouch/Sprint/Aim Toggle, but linked for those interested. Having an untoggled aim could be good for those players who like to be on the move a lot.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|4341|Vortex Ring State

Jaekus wrote:

I'm yet to try the AutoHotkey script: Crouch/Sprint/Aim Toggle, but linked for those interested. Having an untoggled aim could be good for those players who like to be on the move a lot.
AutoHotKey is awesome

CoD4 + AHK = InstaProneRapidfireM9/Dragunov(Fires faster than a MP5, guaranteed!) = 4:1 KDR, no skill required.
^DD^GRiPS
American Hillbilly
+12|5141|Long Beach, CA

Jaekus wrote:

I tried the mouse smoothing fix and after a couple mistakes it works very well!

Just make sure you backup your files before proceeding. For the "Scheme0Sensitivity" value at the start of the guide, after some experimentation I use 6.7, feels pretty close to my normal BF2 setting. 7 was just a little too sensitive, 6.5 just slightly too sluggish. 6.75 was the teeniest bit touchy so reducing by 0.05 seems to be comfortable for me.
OMFG when I found that mouse smoothing guide on the EA forums I went from 0.81 Kill ratio to now have 1.5 to sometimes 3 on a match to match basis.  My KDR is rising steadily but I will make another nick to play through again it has had that big of an improvement in playing the game for me.  I thought I was terrible at this game since I played with mouse smoothing all the way until I only had 2 unlocks left.  Smoothing mechanic must be for consoles because it totally hinders you on the PC. 

I don't focus on my KDR but I almost felt it was time for me to retire from FPSers since it was so bad.  I always go out of my way to accomplish the objectives and help my team and my KDR was usually at least a 2 while being the team player in any other game and that is what I have grown to expect from myself.

Thank goodness for removing mouse smoothing.
Ptfo
TravisC555
Member
+118|4561|Cox Convention Center, OK
Hmmm... I don't seem to have the <input> folder mentioned in the Mouse Smoothing guide? I'm using Windows 7, also have the Steam version of BFBC2. Should this folder just be in the BFBC2 folder in My Documents?

Last edited by TravisC555 (2010-03-28 10:02:50)

Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|4326|Perth, Australia

TravisC555 wrote:

Hmmm... I don't seem to have the <input> folder mentioned in the Mouse Smoothing guide? I'm using Windows 7, also have the Steam version of BFBC2. Should this folder just be in the BFBC2 folder in My Documents?
If you haven't modified any of the default controls then you won't have that folder.

A strange thing about that fix is that if i modify the files the game crashes, but if i copy in modified controls it works fine
^DD^GRiPS
American Hillbilly
+12|5141|Long Beach, CA
There is a tweak for your sound settings that may fix a problem with the sound not allowing you to know where things are coming from or simple things like hearing an enemies foot steps coming up on you.

In your settings.ini

SpeakerCount=0

It is suggested to change it to 2

Here is some talk about it and at the bottom is a link to another thread where the actual settings change is suggested.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/ … ge#4359840
Ptfo
Doperwt.
Anouk, Slayers little bitch
+80|4736|Belgium

I dont get the problems people have with tanks. I have a G5 mouse. you can change the mousespeed. so when I get in a tank, I get to the highest speed. no problems with modifying at all.

oww and can someone say howv I get the machinegun on the uav?

Last edited by Doperwt. (2010-03-28 13:23:24)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|4810

Doperwt. wrote:

I dont get the problems people have with tanks. I have a G5 mouse. you can change the mousespeed. so when I get in a tank, I get to the highest speed. no problems with modifying at all.

oww and can someone say howv I get the machinegun on the uav?
Vehicle Alt-Fire spec.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|3521|Sydney

TravisC555 wrote:

Hmmm... I don't seem to have the <input> folder mentioned in the Mouse Smoothing guide? I'm using Windows 7, also have the Steam version of BFBC2. Should this folder just be in the BFBC2 folder in My Documents?
Yeah, all you need to do is change the binding for one of the controls (any, it doesn't matter) in the game's menu and it creates the folder, then you can follow the guide
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|3521|Sydney

^DD^GRiPS wrote:

There is a tweak for your sound settings that may fix a problem with the sound not allowing you to know where things are coming from or simple things like hearing an enemies foot steps coming up on you.

In your settings.ini

SpeakerCount=0

It is suggested to change it to 2

Here is some talk about it and at the bottom is a link to another thread where the actual settings change is suggested.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/ … ge#4359840
Nice one. I have changed it to 0 to get a bit more fps out of my system as my current vid card is not up to the task of playing BC2, but that's gonna change in about 2.5 hours
TravisC555
Member
+118|4561|Cox Convention Center, OK

Jaekus wrote:

TravisC555 wrote:

Hmmm... I don't seem to have the <input> folder mentioned in the Mouse Smoothing guide? I'm using Windows 7, also have the Steam version of BFBC2. Should this folder just be in the BFBC2 folder in My Documents?
Yeah, all you need to do is change the binding for one of the controls (any, it doesn't matter) in the game's menu and it creates the folder, then you can follow the guide
Ah, okay. Thank you both.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|3521|Sydney
No worries. Just make sure you backup those files before editting, in case something goes wrong (I created a "backups" folder in the ~mydocuments/bfbc2 directory and stored them in there).

Rod Foxx wrote:

TravisC555 wrote:

Hmmm... I don't seem to have the <input> folder mentioned in the Mouse Smoothing guide? I'm using Windows 7, also have the Steam version of BFBC2. Should this folder just be in the BFBC2 folder in My Documents?
If you haven't modified any of the default controls then you won't have that folder.

A strange thing about that fix is that if i modify the files the game crashes, but if i copy in modified controls it works fine
Hmm, are you following the guide EXACTLY as stated (other than changing the values to suit)? I had a problem where I changed the wrong string and it wouldn't work. Also, everything in those folders is case sensitive. Other than that I'm at a loss as to why it would crash, as it's merely text you're changing - copy and paste should be the same as typing in the characters manually.

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-03-28 14:25:02)

Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|4326|Perth, Australia

Jaekus wrote:

Hmm, are you following the guide EXACTLY as stated (other than changing the values to suit)? I had a problem where I changed the wrong string and it wouldn't work. Also, everything in those folders is case sensitive. Other than that I'm at a loss as to why it would crash, as it's merely text you're changing - copy and paste should be the same as typing in the characters manually.
Yeah i followed the guide exactly. But it doesn't seem to matter. Any change i make causes it to crash.

If someone could apply the fix including the atv part that would be awesome. The files i have don't have the atv fix and i can't change them

doperwt. wrote:

I dont get the problems people have with tanks. I have a G5 mouse. you can change the mousespeed. so when I get in a tank, I get to the highest speed. no problems with modifying at all.
There is a difference between changing the sensitivity on the fly and using the fix. I have a Razer Deathadder so i used to change my sensitivity as well, but the fix will actually make it better than sensitivity on the fly and it also means you don't have to change it when you get in and out of tanks.

That said there is still a max turret speed on tanks and the like so it's only so effective.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,417|4997

I suppose the tactical field manual offers some decent tips, but does anyone know if there's a list of all the in-game tips that no one reads? One of my buddies learned from one of those that mortar strikes have increased damage with the vwarhd vehicle perk???
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|4686

mtb0minime wrote:

I suppose the tactical field manual offers some decent tips, but does anyone know if there's a list of all the in-game tips that no one reads? One of my buddies learned from one of those that mortar strikes have increased damage with the vwarhd vehicle perk???
With the explosives upgrade it is. Didn´t notice any difference though.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|3521|Sydney

Rod Foxx wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Hmm, are you following the guide EXACTLY as stated (other than changing the values to suit)? I had a problem where I changed the wrong string and it wouldn't work. Also, everything in those folders is case sensitive. Other than that I'm at a loss as to why it would crash, as it's merely text you're changing - copy and paste should be the same as typing in the characters manually.
Yeah i followed the guide exactly. But it doesn't seem to matter. Any change i make causes it to crash.
I know this is a stupid question, but you are making backups in a separate folder to the files you change?
Which files specifically are you trying to change? Maybe if you do one at a time you could isolate your problem.
I just can't see how it would make it crash. I'm not disbelieving you, it just doesn't make sense to me with my admittdely very limited knowledge of computers.

Rod Foxx wrote:

If someone could apply the fix including the atv part that would be awesome. The files i have don't have the atv fix and i can't change them
I *think* they're affected by the air.dbx file, as this applies to piloting and their view, whilst the land.dbx is for turrets, which I again *think* includes the heli gunner.

Rod Foxx wrote:

doperwt. wrote:

I dont get the problems people have with tanks. I have a G5 mouse. you can change the mousespeed. so when I get in a tank, I get to the highest speed. no problems with modifying at all.
There is a difference between changing the sensitivity on the fly and using the fix. I have a Razer Deathadder so i used to change my sensitivity as well, but the fix will actually make it better than sensitivity on the fly and it also means you don't have to change it when you get in and out of tanks.

That said there is still a max turret speed on tanks and the like so it's only so effective.
That's true but on the very slow moving TOWs and the like it is a huge improvement, to me at any rate. I can actually turn it at relatively normal speed rather than using half the desk (literally) to get a quarter turn.

Also, the max turret speed is for moving in one constant direction. It is still uber sensitive if you want it when you're making small movements to aim at someone, which for me made it harder to aim.
Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|4326|Perth, Australia
Yes i've made backups of all the files. To give you an example if i even change the sensitivity of anything in any of the files the game will not launch. After i couldn't get the full fix to work i tried individually and the same happened

For the most part though the files i have do the job, i don't really use atv's or vehicle free look so it's not a huge loss. The main use was for tanks/turrets and now they're
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|3521|Sydney
The only other thing I could suggest would be to make a second backup, alter those files and then copy>paste them into your game directory on the off chance that works. Probably won't but it might be worth a shot.
Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|3851|America
Has anyone adjusted their field of view past 75? Does it make a big difference?
"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|3521|Sydney
Some people have reported going up to 90 or even higher I believe, I think it would have to do with your monitor's aspect ratio and your resolution. For me, anything above 75 starts to go a bit out of proportion (eveything seems "longer"), 75 feels about what I'm comfortable with when playing BF2. The default of 55 is just crap.
^DD^GRiPS
American Hillbilly
+12|5141|Long Beach, CA
Here is a bullet drop chart

http://www.the4thwall.net/wp-content/up … bctab2.png

Not sure if it is accurate or right.
Ptfo
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|3521|Sydney
Thanks, I'll put it up and if things change I'll update the link.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2019 Jeff Minard