lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Yeah you can call them moochers and it wouldn't be inaccurate but that's what a safety net is all about. I wouldn't look down on them if they were 'mooching' while trying their utmost to obtain gainful employment. I would look down on them if they weren't. I think the safety net is a necessary part of a modern society to deal with the downturns that are an inevitable part of the free market, how effectively it is being run is what I would complain about. And his point about it being a crime if you were to commit this 'plunder' as opposed to the government is a completely moot point. This is what the civilised world has developed over centuries to deal with the relatively few disadvantages of the free market and it is legal, period. The safety net is part of what keeps society from totally unravelling in a deep and prolonged downturn. I'm on a highly taxed salary and have never collected unemployment in my entire life. If something untoward befell me I would collect unemployment to keep me from starving to death while I looked for another job. I believe the social net is a valuable necessity for any modern civlised society. Abuses and mismanagement of it should be roundly condemned however.
Unemployment is not mooching. It is insurance that is paid BY YOU.

Mooching is something for nothing.
Well I suppose to rephrase: if you still haven't found a job by the time unemployment benefits run out I don't agree with casting you to the dogs. I agree with me being taxed to support those people who are still verifiably making a concerted effort to acquire employment in a tough environment if their benefits have run out rather than letting them die. I expect it to be heavily policed to stamp out abuse and believe that community work in return should be a necessity for receipt. I believe in the nation pulling together during tough times.
Can't find anything to disagree with here. Especially this part:   "I expect it to be heavily policed to stamp out abuse and believe that community work in return should be a necessity for receipt".

However this is not how the entitled operate in the states, and why I am such a "monster", "Hitler", "selfish", "uncaring", "the devil", and whatever else I have been called on here.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

tuckergustav wrote:

So, food stamps can be used to buy pretty much anything but tobacco and alcohol, right?  I think you should be limited to "healthy" foods and approved products.  I think this may lessen the abuse a bit.  Also, it would promote the health of the welfare folks, thus lowering there health care needs, thus making them less of a drain on our tax dollars in the long run.

And lowing...you are kinda right...if people are accepting help, then they should stop being so defensive and a little more thankful. 

Maybe anyone on welfare should have to do some sort of community service...hmmm...then they would be "working" for what they get.
Food stamps can be 'cashed in'. Buy a bag of Dipsy Doodles for $0.25 and pocket the $0.75 in change ad infinitum. Some less than savory grocers will cash in your food stamps for you, for a fee. It's usually around 20% off the top.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Marlo Stanfield
online poker tax cheating
+122|5163

JohnG@lt wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

So, food stamps can be used to buy pretty much anything but tobacco and alcohol, right?  I think you should be limited to "healthy" foods and approved products.  I think this may lessen the abuse a bit.  Also, it would promote the health of the welfare folks, thus lowering there health care needs, thus making them less of a drain on our tax dollars in the long run.

And lowing...you are kinda right...if people are accepting help, then they should stop being so defensive and a little more thankful. 

Maybe anyone on welfare should have to do some sort of community service...hmmm...then they would be "working" for what they get.
Food stamps can be 'cashed in'. Buy a bag of Dipsy Doodles for $0.25 and pocket the $0.75 in change ad infinitum. Some less than savory grocers will cash in your food stamps for you, for a fee. It's usually around 20% off the top.
How do you know?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

How do you know?
Because I grew up in the ghetto?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6389
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6497

lowing wrote:

I see, so when Bush was in office everything was HIS fault. Now we have Obama and everything is congress' fault. Neh can't find anything wrong with that logic.
except for the fact that i never blamed Bush for anything except dragging us into Iraq. i voted for Reagan, did you? i voted for pappy Bush, did you?

i'm getting annoyed that you are lumping me in with everyone else. i don't like the way the Republicans are citing Reagan as their hero and abandoning all planks of his party. the Republicans of Boehner have been reduced to obstructionists, with no real leadership. the party itself is torn asunder, with everyone running to the rail.

i am conservative lowing, do not make the mistake of confusing me with the european version of the word. yes, this Congress is at fault. it was under Bush, it is under Obama, and it will be under whomever.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5913|...

well, here in MI they have EBT cards for food stamps.  I would think that would cut down on the cashing out part.  So, fraud on that front is down I suppose.  However, my sister just told me how her friend(who has 5 kids..oy) takes her friends to the store to buy them whatever they want...there would be no way to stop that I suppose.  Maybe, if you did have to put in some kind of community service in return for welfare then you wouldn't be so quick to take advantage of it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

tuckergustav wrote:

well, here in MI they have EBT cards for food stamps.  I would think that would cut down on the cashing out part.  So, fraud on that front is down I suppose.  However, my sister just told me how her friend(who has 5 kids..oy) takes her friends to the store to buy them whatever they want...there would be no way to stop that I suppose.  Maybe, if you did have to put in some kind of community service in return for welfare then you wouldn't be so quick to take advantage of it.
I've always been a fan of that concept. Have them work at cleaning streets or planting flowers in a park or something. It doesn't have to be anything really demeaning but they should have to work for their benefits.
-Frederick Bastiat
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command

lowing wrote:

read this on boortz today... I loved it

"Yup. Got another email yesterday from someone on food stamps. She didn't like the fact that I called people who use food stamps "moochers." She gave me the usual song and dance about how educated she and her husband were, how hard they have worked, how responsible they were, and how unexpected hard times suddenly came upon them. Right, and all of this was supposed to legitimize their mooching.

Look folks .. the food stamps are out there. The program grows every year. If you need them - or you think you need them - to feed your family, then go for it. But while you're at it why don't you admit that you are using the government as an instrument of plunder. You are using the government to do something for you that, if you did it for yourself, would be a criminal act. You are using the government to seize money from someone who earned it and turn it over to you for your personal use. If you're OK with that, well ... what does that say about you? So just do it, stop your whining when you're called out, and enjoy your dinner."

Kinda hard to argue aginst this as the FACT that it is, but  I trust there is some out there that will manage to do it anyway.
While I detest those who make a career out of government assistance and disability claims I also detest your blanket statement about ' fact '.

Like for example, I have never drawn one dime in any assistance whatsoever. No unemployment draws while I wasn't working before I started my business. Yet my wife wants to apply for food stamps as we are currently in a world of hurt because of the economy and she figures it will take some pressure off me for a while as I regroup. I haven't told her not to.

Am I gonna be a moocher? I have worked full time for 26 years.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5699

JohnG@lt wrote:

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

How do you know?
Because I grew up in the ghetto?
I know from firsthand experience. Many people I have worked wotj(as well as myself) would charge them like $200 on Food Stamps and give them and take a certain percentage. It would always be anywhere from 20-50 percent. There actually were some that used it buy hot stuff like diapers, baby formula, otc medicine etc. but the most of them spent it on alcohol/tobacco/illegal drugs.

One thing that always puzzled me is why Food Stamps did not allow you to purchase hot food/drinks.

Last edited by 13/f/taiwan (2010-03-17 10:00:53)

ATG
Banned

lowing wrote:

burnzz wrote:

lowing wrote:

Funny!! what is the difference? Ya forgot to mention govt. healthcare, govt owned PRIVATE companies. A debt quadrupled in one year what Bush did in 8.. we could go on. Plenty of difference.
did Congress do that or the white house? what i'm saying lowing is Congress holds the purse strings, and Obama hasn't changed any of the policies he proclaimed during the election that were 'wrong' under Bush - i.e., Gitmo, wiretapping, etc.

Obama wanted gov.t healthcare, who's going to give it to him? Congress.
GM and the banks wanted a bailout, who's giving it to them? Congress.

honestly, the presidency is not what it once was, the judicial system is hampered by the real obstructionists -  Congress.
I see, so when Bush was in office everything was HIS fault. Now we have Obama and everything is congress' fault. Neh can't find anything wrong with that logic.
He didn't say that. He said congress approved TARP which originated under bush. Congress also went along with a war that was not counted in the budget. You should consider that the person you are quoting is not a liberal and there may indeed be a good point.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
if people like lowing were not the minority in this country Id rather live in somalia
Tu Stultus Es
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6568|Mountains of NC

this quite old but stills applys

gettn paid

sister use to work at the local grocery store after school - she would see ppl using food stamps put back diapers for chips and frozen pizzas
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Marlo Stanfield
+122|5163

SEREMAKER wrote:

gettn paid

sister use to work at the local grocery store after school - she would see ppl using food stamps put back diapers for chips and frozen pizzas
What is ODB doing now?

Pushing up daisies.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

How do you know?
He must've been on food stamps once in his lifetime, KILL HIM~!!1
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

ATG wrote:

lowing wrote:

"Yup. Got another email yesterday from someone on food stamps. She didn't like the fact that I called people who use food stamps "moochers." She gave me the usual song and dance about how educated she and her husband were, how hard they have worked, how responsible they were, and how unexpected hard times suddenly came upon them. Right, and all of this was supposed to legitimize their mooching.

Look folks .. the food stamps are out there. The program grows every year. If you need them - or you think you need them - to feed your family, then go for it. But while you're at it why don't you admit that you are using the government as an instrument of plunder. You are using the government to do something for you that, if you did it for yourself, would be a criminal act. You are using the government to seize money from someone who earned it and turn it over to you for your personal use. If you're OK with that, well ... what does that say about you? So just do it, stop your whining when you're called out, and enjoy your dinner."

Kinda hard to argue aginst this as the FACT that it is, but  I trust there is some out there that will manage to do it anyway.
While I detest those who make a career out of government assistance and disability claims I also detest your blanket statement about ' fact '.

Like for example, I have never drawn one dime in any assistance whatsoever. No unemployment draws while I wasn't working before I started my business. Yet my wife wants to apply for food stamps as we are currently in a world of hurt because of the economy and she figures it will take some pressure off me for a while as I regroup. I haven't told her not to.

Re-read the OP CAREFULLY. and you will be able to answer your own question. I have worked since I was 12, and I can tell you now, if I take from the govt. ( the people) I am mooching. Just because I might not like the label does not make the FACT any less a fact.
Marlo Stanfield
+122|5163

SEREMAKER wrote:

gettn paid

I like how MTV glorifies ODB defrauding the government and generally being an ignorant piece of shit but then take some holier than thou position when someone expresses a slightly racist belief against black people even though MTV had been pushing the stereotype for profit.

just a thought
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

ATG wrote:

lowing wrote:

burnzz wrote:

did Congress do that or the white house? what i'm saying lowing is Congress holds the purse strings, and Obama hasn't changed any of the policies he proclaimed during the election that were 'wrong' under Bush - i.e., Gitmo, wiretapping, etc.

Obama wanted gov.t healthcare, who's going to give it to him? Congress.
GM and the banks wanted a bailout, who's giving it to them? Congress.

honestly, the presidency is not what it once was, the judicial system is hampered by the real obstructionists -  Congress.
He didn't say that. He said congress approved TARP which originated under bush. Congress also went along with a war that was not counted in the budget. You should consider that the person you are quoting is not a liberal and there may indeed be a good point.
Sorry, when Bush was in office, I didn't hear any of you bitching and splitting hairs about what congress did. which was in democratic control by the way. Now when it comes to the direction the country is taking we are gunna blame congress. Sorry if you do not see the inconsistency in this new direction.

Obama is pressuring congress, bribing congress, and congress is trying to extort the whitehouse for votes. So please stop trying to deflect from Obama's influence.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6497

lowing wrote:

Sorry, when Bush was in office, I didn't hear any of you bitching and splitting hairs about what congress did. which was in democratic control by the way. Now when it comes to the direction the country is taking we are gunna blame congress. Sorry if you do not see the inconsistency in this new direction.

Obama is pressuring congress, bribing congress, and congress is trying to extort the whitehouse for votes. So please stop trying to deflect from Obama's influence.
Congress became demo in 2006. about the same time i started checking my stats here for bf2. the other six years of his term? republican.

Obama pressuring Congress? that's his job, although with a demo majority and a demo president, he shouldn't have to work so hard at it.

"congress is trying to extort the whitehouse for votes" what the heck does that even mean? Congress passes law, the presidency enforces law, and the judicial system interprets law.

we have a malignancy in government, and while it's easier to blame one than nine or five hundred thirty-five, the senate and the house is the root of the problem.

vote out Obama and leave congress in. i dare you.
Benzin
+576|5998
Lowing, I would actually contest that it is not Congress that is guilty, so much as the Senate. The House of Representatives recently banned ear marking on bills. The Senate, however, has yet to follow suit. The waste will continue there.

The Bush administration shoved the bail out plans down the throats of Congress. They stirred up fear and forced Congress to vote on a half-assed written bill. Hell, the Treasury Department didn't even think to put a phrase in the policy that would force these companies receiving all this money to report back to the government and show where all of it is going. No oversight whatsoever. You can blame President Bush and his cronies on that one without ever having to bring Congress into the game.

I voted for Obama mainly because of Palin and McCain. McCain and Palin are both so far out of touch with reality. The only benefit is that Palin is funny as hell to laugh at... So if they had won, I would've at least had a smile or two laughing at her idiocy and McCain's senility.

Back to the topic at hand, though:

I don't see food stamp receivers as moochers at all, so long as they are not abusing the system. As CameronPoe said, a well-regulated safety net for citizens should be required in any modern society (I wonder if the US can be classified as a developing country, much like China). Certainly any one that abuses it should be convicted of it, but to have it there should not be bad. Look at it like medical or auto insurance: You gladly pay for both, so what is the real problem there? You are required BY LAW to pay for auto insurance, so what's the problem if the government skims a bit off the top to put into a program that you also have access to if you ever need it? It's not mooching. Mooching implies abuse.

My other point would be to ask you this question: If you identify yourself as a Christian, helping the poor is one of the tenants of the faith. Can you really be against any kind of a welfare program and still call yourself a Christian?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

burnzz wrote:

lowing wrote:

Congress became demo in 2006. about the same time i started checking my stats here for bf2. the other six years of his term? republican.

Obama pressuring Congress? that's his job, although with a demo majority and a demo president, he shouldn't have to work so hard at it.

"congress is trying to extort the whitehouse for votes" what the heck does that even mean? Congress passes law, the presidency enforces law, and the judicial system interprets law.

we have a malignancy in government, and while it's easier to blame one than nine or five hundred thirty-five, the senate and the house is the root of the problem.

vote out Obama and leave congress in. i dare you.
The congress will be broken up 2 years before Obama is kicked out. No worries there.

I understand all of this, my point being no one is blamed congress for shit during the bush years they blamed bush. Now, we are gunna split hairs and blame congress. Funny thati s all.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

CapnNismo wrote:

Lowing, I would actually contest that it is not Congress that is guilty, so much as the Senate. The House of Representatives recently banned ear marking on bills. The Senate, however, has yet to follow suit. The waste will continue there.

The Bush administration shoved the bail out plans down the throats of Congress. They stirred up fear and forced Congress to vote on a half-assed written bill. Hell, the Treasury Department didn't even think to put a phrase in the policy that would force these companies receiving all this money to report back to the government and show where all of it is going. No oversight whatsoever. You can blame President Bush and his cronies on that one without ever having to bring Congress into the game.

I voted for Obama mainly because of Palin and McCain. McCain and Palin are both so far out of touch with reality. The only benefit is that Palin is funny as hell to laugh at... So if they had won, I would've at least had a smile or two laughing at her idiocy and McCain's senility.

I don't see food stamp receivers as moochers at all, so long as they are not abusing the system. As CameronPoe said, a well-regulated safety net for citizens should be required in any modern society (I wonder if the US can be classified as a developing country, much like China). Certainly any one that abuses it should be convicted of it, but to have it there should not be bad. Look at it like medical or auto insurance: You gladly pay for both, so what is the real problem there? You are required BY LAW to pay for auto insurance, so what's the problem if the government skims a bit off the top to put into a program that you also have access to if you ever need it? It's not mooching. Mooching implies abuse.

My other point would be to ask you this question: If you identify yourself as a Christian, helping the poor is one of the tenants of the faith. Can you really be against any kind of a welfare program and still call yourself a Christian?
Earmarks are a drop in a very large bucket kid. The House is the most corrupt branch of government bar none.

And the people in the article are clearly abusing the system and according to you, be prosecuted for it. There's nothing stopping these people from getting a job at Subway or Target except their own inflated sense of self worth based on a piece of paper. Working at one of those jobs is deemed 'beneath them' so let them starve.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-03-17 11:04:38)

-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

CapnNismo wrote:

Already posted agreeing wirth Cam. Also I am not a Christian, and I do believe in giving. Do you mind if I object to having a gun held to my head by govt. forcing me from my money?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
both the senate and house of reps are congress.
Tu Stultus Es
ATG
Banned

lowing wrote:

ATG wrote:

lowing wrote:

Re-read the OP CAREFULLY. and you will be able to answer your own question. I have worked since I was 12, and I can tell you now, if I take from the govt. ( the people) I am mooching. Just because I might not like the label does not make the FACT any less a fact.
Okay, now that's just stupid. troll thing not worth commenting on.

i understand the whole ' driving a point home ' but it helps if you have one to start with.

lowing wrote:

I understand all of this, my point being no one is blamed congress for shit during the bush years they blamed bush. Now, we are gunna split hairs and blame congress. Funny thati s all.
that is either a blatant lie or you are being simple.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard